Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

• Members
7 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

...apart from the Unions, German reunification, pandas, losing power, free milk, unpopularity, the Queen and being found out  - which she eventually was. These days, folk would just laugh at her and nobody would think twice of putting her back in her box.

That said, her box has probably long since rotted given all the people that have pissed on it since she was buried six feet nearer her maker.

image.jpeg.3f7422f67e366b6b86a709b531ca09f7.jpeg

Classless fucks. I just ignore the sad bastards.

The greatest PM in British history is a close run thing between her and Winston.

Edited by bolty58

14 hours ago, leigh white said:

Talking bollocks, the men who worked in the mines walked out without Scargill telling them after Thatcher announced the closures, get your facts right. No wonder this country is fucked with braindead folk.

Oh dear another poster who doesn’t have a fecking clue. I was there you bell end lived through it, friends and neighbours involved, houses and businesses burned out by Scargills mobsters, miners threatened with violence if they even considered going back. Even now the scars and divisions are there and will probably never heal. The pit closure plan was already in place because there was just so little market for our coal. That’s the fact. Realists knew that, Scargill didn’t and he set out to prove that he could stop the closures by force. He never stood a chance. He was thick as two short planks and so was his henchman Mick McGahey. He struck in the middle of summer, illegally without a vote and when our coal stocks were the highest ever. Great planning. Most miners were desperate to go back and only stayed out because of fear. Neighbours, friends and local businesses supported the miners families as best we could but the truth is they knew they were never going to win and were desperate to go back to work. Scargill was a gift to Maggie and a tragedy for the miners. Strangely enoughI live near Barnsley now and Arthur’s daughters my doctor!!

• Members
3 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Oh dear another poster who doesn’t have a fecking clue. I was there you bell end lived through it, friends and neighbours involved, houses and businesses burned out by Scargills mobsters, miners threatened with violence if they even considered going back. Even now the scars and divisions are there and will probably never heal. The pit closure plan was already in place because there was just so little market for our coal. That’s the fact. Realists knew that, Scargill didn’t and he set out to prove that he could stop the closures by force. He never stood a chance. He was thick as two short planks and so was his henchman Mick McGahey. He struck in the middle of summer, illegally without a vote and when our coal stocks were the highest ever. Great planning. Most miners were desperate to go back and only stayed out because of fear. Neighbours, friends and local businesses supported the miners families as best we could but the truth is they knew they were never going to win and were desperate to go back to work. Scargill was a gift to Maggie and a tragedy for the miners. Strangely enoughI live near Barnsley now and Arthur’s daughters my doctor!!

HBASDT?

12 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Mick was a miner. JSL

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

That one sentence was the first time you wrote as if you were on the outside looking in. Up until that point I actually thought you were writing from the experience of being a striking miner.

So in fact, you’re basing your knowledge on what you were told; either by the miners or on the news. I’d rather listen to how it was from a miners’ point of view than a bystanders. Do we have any ex-miners here? (He asks, knowingly)

36 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Never has a post been so poorly aimed at a poster.

You're going to feel very silly, very soon.

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, mickbrown said:

Never has a post been so poorly aimed at a poster.

You're going to feel very silly, very soon.

That was my point. WS63, pick your opponents carefully.

2 hours ago, MickyD said:

That one sentence was the first time you wrote as if you were on the outside looking in. Up until that point I actually thought you were writing from the experience of being a striking miner.

So in fact, you’re basing your knowledge on what you were told; either by the miners or on the news. I’d rather listen to how it was from a miners’ point of view than a bystanders. Do we have any ex-miners here? (He asks, knowingly)

4 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Others have made it clear that you are talking to an ex miner so will leave you to acknowledge that.

On the planned closures , yes these were already agreed but that was also alongside a planned programme of regeneration for the area and education/re training for the miners. Thatcher who had seen the power of the Unions when serving under Heath made a de facto part of her role to tackle the power of the unions . (Even as a bit of leftie I think most people could see the Unions were  more dangerous than good in some ways ) Thatcher chose to do this by accelerating the programme ( so the planned programme went out of the window) and pulled the support that was meant follow

Whole swathes of the country were simply abandoned due to Maggies' approach. This is simple historical fact. 
Did she need to tackle the Unions ? , I think the majority would say yes. Did she do so in a manner that was over zealous and driven by spite I would say yes. 

32 minutes ago, Ani said:

Others have made it clear that you are talking to an ex miner so will leave you to acknowledge that.

On the planned closures , yes these were already agreed but that was also alongside a planned programme of regeneration for the area and education/re training for the miners. Thatcher who had seen the power of the Unions when serving under Heath made a de facto part of her role to tackle the power of the unions . (Even as a bit of leftie I think most people could see the Unions were  more dangerous than good in some ways ) Thatcher chose to do this by accelerating the programme ( so the planned programme went out of the window) and pulled the support that was meant follow

Whole swathes of the country were simply abandoned due to Maggies' approach. This is simple historical fact. 
Did she need to tackle the Unions ? , I think the majority would say yes. Did she do so in a manner that was over zealous and driven by spite I would say yes. 

My point exactly, but I would add that without doing it in a supportive transitional way it made no business sense and ended up costing UK PLC far more both financially and socially. That's what you get by putting divisive politics and dogma before economic sense and the needs and wellbeing of the nation.

5 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

Utter tripe, after the strike ended the tories started closing the most militant mines, and the ones remaining had money chucked at them so it made those look unproductive and closed them. Those scab pits in Notts who thought they would be safe all went down the road just the same.

1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Utter tripe, after the strike ended the tories started closing the most militant mines, and the ones remaining had money chucked at them so it made those look unproductive and closed them. Those scab pits in Notts who thought they would be safe all went down the road just the same.

That’s bollocks white, there was no way back after the strike and what could have been a viable future for some mines never got the chance. I’m afraid the fact of the matter is that Scargill prematurely destroyed the industry with his actions, like it or not. Imported coal was just massively cheaper than any pit could produce it here which is why the pit closure programme was agreed in the first place. Silverwood and Maltby near me were two of the most efficient pits in the country but even they couldn’t compete. I don’t disagree it was a tragedy, Rotherham and surrounding towns and villages have been destroyed by the loss of coal and steel as well but its history now and given where we are with the net zero nutters, they’d be closing anyway.