Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

West Ham 3-0 Wanderers

Leyther_Matt

I would guess that most people have been going long enough to see us beat Atletico Madrid, draw with Bayern Munich and finish in the top half of the Premier League with Nicky Hunt at fullback. What was our wage budget relative to the teams we were beating then? Now we're resigning ourselves to losing to nil every week.

I like Parky, and have no desire to see him get the boot, but we've got to start showing signs of life soon. Non-league teams would've given West Ham a better game than we did in the first half. We got better after that, and I quite liked the look of Earing, but there's not much to take into the Brentford game that'd give you much confidence.

The first half tonight was very very poor in terms of quality. But it's nothing like as bad as we've seen over the past few seasons in terms of lack of effort. Away at Brentford, Fulham and Forest all spring to mind. Ultimately we have a squad of players who are way out of their depth. We've got a Division 1 team playing in the Championship and tonight playing against premier league opposition. I've called for the manager's head a few times in recent seasons when I thought he could be getting more from the players. Unfortunately I don't think mourinhno, pep or big sam would help with this lot. They're just not good enough.

Good point there Tombwfc. Back in 2001 when we were newly promoted and had  the lowest wage bill in the Premier League, we somehow managed to beat both Man Utd and Liverpool.There has been no such overachievement from Parky

The financial advantage Derby and Leeds have over us is huge but i would think (know) is less than the advantage Man Utd and Liverpool had over us  in 2001.

• Members

Good point there Tombwfc. Back in 2001 when we were newly promoted and had  the lowest wage bill in the Premier League, we somehow managed to beat both Man Utd and Liverpool.There has been no such overachievement from Parky

The financial advantage Derby and Leeds have over us is huge but i would think (know) is less than the advantage Man Utd and Liverpool had over us  in 2001.

Citing Leeds as part of your argument is not difficult to pick holes in. They were in such financial dire straits they nearly went to the wall at one stage not too long ago. This should be cause for optimism as if they have been able to turn it around then so should we (off a lower support base I admit).

'No such over achievement from Parky'? Have to disagree - IMO he over achieved with what he had to work with last season.

Just back & that was grim. From less than 5 minutes we were easily beaten by stronger, faster & much better players & our players who came in for this won't be pushing for a 1st choice start off this showing.

Desperately looking for positives, at least we didn't completely roll over & improved quite a bit 2nd half but West Ham really should have been 5 or 6 up at h/t.

As for Pratley, i think he's hopeless & would be happy if he never played for us again, but he was no worse than the rest last night & there is no doubting the effort he puts in, so abuse of him is bellendery.

I'm along way from wanting Parky gone and I'm certainly not bothered about the cup. I didn't expect much from this season but I did expect us to be hard to beat but for whatever reason we are the exact opposite at present. Don't know what's gone on but something has changed and it's not all about money or the improvement in quality in the championship. That was far from a youth team last night.

Well that was a most unlike West Ham Cup performance. I'd you played the first half the way you played most of the second, you'd probably have got a result. With the run you've been on though, it's not hard to understand why your boys didn't have the belief from the kick off.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

• Moderators

Well that was a most unlike West Ham Cup performance. I'd you played the first half the way you played most of the second, you'd probably have got a result. With the run you've been on though, it's not hard to understand why your boys didn't have the belief from the kick off.

Coming to something when a whammer talks more sense than wanderers

That wasn't the West Ham I'm aware of, trying to take the piss across a 30 yard gap trying to pretend they're ever going to feel at home in that white elephant of a ground. That is a dead club to me now, people walking about with printed off tickets asking where the club shop is. Totally gone.

And a few half and half scarves knocking about

• Members

Same to you Yossi. Go on and win it then we can say we were knocked out by the eventual winners  ;)

The performance didn't surprise me one bit when you saw the team sheet. But effort wise I had no complaints.

Morais just isn't a wing back and their left winger was given far too much space.

Don't know if their second was offside, but the lino was in no position to see it.

I was right behind him in the West Ham end and he was so slow that he missed a few definite offs.

Playing a high line against speedy attackers is a risk even more so with a crap lino.

And a few Tony Adams type arms in the air gestures to him might have improved his willingness to raise his flag.