Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Urban Myth ?

Krimzon

Whilst Im in the mood for remamniscing  a far distant memory had sprung up.

When I was living down south with work , around buckinghamshire in the 1990s I frequented a few local workings mens clubs , they were a damn site cheaper than the pubs and the money went a lot further .

A fair few patrons had "made good" and retired to the sticks , West ham , Chelsea and Millwall old boys .

I used to get a lot of stick being Bolton  , but fairly good natured , but they all nearly to a man , told the same story about going to Bolton,  a story about some bloke  whose weapon of choice was an old fashioned flat bed iron. the kind you used to put on the stove and hold with "oven gloves" to do the ironing .

They were very dismissive of the fact Id never heard of any of these stories and I used to get ......you cant be real bolton if you dont know your history etc.  

This was the 90's and so I figured they were telling stories of the 60's  as I was pretty sure if it was the 70's I would have heard about it.

They never mentioned a name and i got the impression they didnt know nor would have said even if they did ....maybe it went back to the 50's .

Still to this day Ive never heard the story outside of that part of the south , so Urban myth or not ?

Maybe some of you more ITK older boys can shed some light ?

I couldnt give a shit of a name if true , just would like to have know if 3 different clubs got together to wind me up etc .

• Site Supporter

Even though I'm guessing most of us weren't around watching Bolton in this era, I'd be very surprised if word of mouth and tap-room boasts of days gone by didn't mention it if some geezer was lamping folk with a bloody big metal pan. It's the kind of thing terrace folklore are made of.

Whilst Im in the mood for remamniscing  a far distant memory had sprung up.

When I was living down south with work , around buckinghamshire in the 1990s I frequented a few local workings mens clubs , they were a damn site cheaper than the pubs and the money went a lot further .

A fair few patrons had "made good" and retired to the sticks , West ham , Chelsea and Millwall old boys .

I used to get a lot of stick being Bolton  , but fairly good natured , but they all nearly to a man , told the same story about going to Bolton,  a story about some bloke  whose weapon of choice was an old fashioned flat bed iron. the kind you used to put on the stove and hold with "oven gloves" to do the ironing .

They were very dismissive of the fact Id never heard of any of these stories and I used to get ......you cant be real bolton if you dont know your history etc.  

This was the 90's and so I figured they were telling stories of the 60's  as I was pretty sure if it was the 70's I would have heard about it.

They never mentioned a name and i got the impression they didnt know nor would have said even if they did ....maybe it went back to the 50's .

Still to this day Ive never heard the story outside of that part of the south , so Urban myth or not ?

Maybe some of you more ITK older boys can shed some light ?

I couldnt give a shit of a name if true , just would like to have know if 3 different clubs got together to wind me up etc .

From Colin Ward's "Steaming In - journal of a football fan", encounter he had in Spain for the 82 World Cup:

One of the Bolton fans looked at me really seriously. "Do you know Charlie Ironingboard?".

"Pardon"

"Charlie Ironingboard, leader of Arsenal. I've met him".

"Are you winding me up" I asked.

"No mate, there were three of them in a bar in Bilbao telling us they were Arsenal".

I looked at them....I thought my friends the three Chelsea fans had been up to their wind up tricks again...the poor guy continued a little peeved that I had not believed him. "He's called Charlie Ironingboard because he hits rival fans in the face with and old fashioned flat-iron".

I excused myself and went to the toilet where I burst out laughing. I didn't want to shatter the illusions of these impressionable young football fans. I came back in and sat down.

"Well, do you know Charlie Ironingboard then?" they asked again...

From Colin Ward's "Steaming In - journal of a football fan", encounter he had in Spain for the 82 World Cup:

One of the Bolton fans looked at me really seriously. "Do you know Charlie Ironingboard?".

"Pardon"

"Charlie Ironingboard, leader of Arsenal. I've met him".

"No mate, there were three of them in a bar in Bilbao telling us they were Arsenal".

I looked at them....I thought my friends the three Chelsea fans had been up to their wind up tricks again...the poor guy continued a little peeved that I had not believed him. "He's called Charlie Ironingboard because he hits rival fans in the face with and old fashioned flat-iron".

I excused myself and went to the toilet where I burst out laughing. I didn't want to shatter the illusions of these impressionable young football fans. I came back in and sat down.

"Well, do you know Charlie Ironingboard then?" they asked again...

I have the later revised 3rd reprint of this book and in it he has changed the story ever so slightly …

From Colin Ward's "Steaming In - journal of a football fan – 3rd EDITION ", an encounter he has in Cagliari, Sardinia during the 1990 Italian World Cup:

One of the Bolton fans looked at me really seriously. "Do you know Ironing board George?".

"Pardon"

"Ironing board George, he was top man in Burnley for a while.  I've met him".

"No mate, there are three in the bar up the road telling us they are store detectives looking for him ".

I looked at them and he continued.... "He's called Ironing board George because he takes liberties in tough hardware stores like B & Q".

I excused myself and went to the toilet where I shat myself. I’d never been to a northern hardware store and didn’t want to shatter the illusions of these impressionable young northern football fans. I’d only ever shopped in Waitrose.

I came back in and sat down.

Suddenly they burst into song and within seconds the entire bar was singing along ….

Put that Ironing board down George

Put that Ironing Board down

Put that Ironing Board down........

I have the later revised 3rd reprint of this book and in it he has changed the story ever so slightly …

From Colin Ward's "Steaming In - journal of a football fan – 3rd EDITION ", an encounter he has in Cagliari, Sardinia during the 1990 Italian World Cup:

One of the Bolton fans looked at me really seriously. "Do you know Ironing board George?".

"Pardon"

"Ironing board George, he was top man in Burnley for a while.  I've met him".

"No mate, there are three in the bar up the road telling us they are store detectives looking for him ".

I looked at them and he continued.... "He's called Ironing board George because he takes liberties in tough hardware stores like B & Q".

I excused myself and went to the toilet where I shat myself. I’d never been to a northern hardware store and didn’t want to shatter the illusions of these impressionable young northern football fans. I’d only ever shopped in Waitrose.

I came back in and sat down.

Suddenly they burst into song and within seconds the entire bar was singing along ….

Put that Ironing Board down

Put that Ironing Board down........

George Oganhi!!

a story about some bloke  whose weapon of choice was an old fashioned flat bed iron. 

If a bloke was regularly twatting folk with one of them, I'm sure a few would have died wouldn't they? We'd have heard about it if we had a serial killer following us I reckon.

Kevin Rose West

Ian Liam Brady

• Site Supporter

Just shows that most of these hoolie memoirs are made up bollox.

The true story will be along the lines of 

Charles, the super-hard bastard who ran Bolton's number one firm was told by his wife, "If you think you're going out fighting before you finish that pile of ironing you can think again!"

Charles hears a knock at the door and it's all his hoolie buddies but he'd answered the door with the iron in his hand. Busted! Or was he?.

He quickly blurts out the excuse that he's picking out his favourite weapon when his wife shouts, "Think on what I said, Iron!"

Charlies mates heard this and started taking the piss. "'Ere Charlie, are you doing the household chores?"

Charlie replies, "Not me mate, I'm just about to pick up my favourite twatting implement from the pantry."

As these tales get told and re-told they end up losing most of reality and get embellished with every re-telling. Hence this latest story.

The true story will be along the lines of

Charles, the super-hard bastard who ran Bolton's number one firm was told by his wife, "If you think you're going out fighting before you finish that pile of ironing you can think again!"

Charles hears a knock at the door and it's all his hoolie buddies but he'd answered the door with the iron in his hand. Busted! Or was he?.

He quickly blurts out the excuse that he's picking out his favourite weapon when his wife shouts, "Think on what I said, Iron!"

Charlies mates heard this and started taking the piss. "'Ere Charlie, are you doing the household chores?"

Charlie replies, "Not me mate, I'm just about to pick up my favourite twatting implement from the pantry."

As these tales get told and re-told they end up losing most of reality and get embellished with every re-telling. Hence this latest story.

Always suspected you did the ironing Micky

If a bloke was regularly twatting folk with one of them, I'm sure a few would have died wouldn't they? We'd have heard about it if we had a serial killer following us I reckon.

Kevin Rose West

Ian Liam Brady

Maybe it got confused down the years and in fact he was hitting people with a 3 iron.

Justin Rose West