Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sunderland (H)

Okocha10

• Site Supporter

Anyway

Our lads were arguing with the ref at the end and the whole team looked gutted, few of them could hardly walk.

passion. It’s back. That’s all we can ask for now and this lot have plenty.

Matthews made a couple of great saves, don’t see everyone’s issue with him.

Chicksen was superb and is a genuine talent, Bridcutt too.

We’ve enough there, just need full match fitness and we can go places.

11 hours ago, Ani said:

I do think in last 10 mins Politic or Buckley needed subbing they had run themselves into ground. 

I know we have little on bench but fresh legs would have helped. Just an observation the overall performance was great. 

Agree I thought he should have used 2 subs with 15 minutes left

Thinking back now if Wright had stayed on we win but bigger picture here. Enjoyjng the football now and well done to all who went yesterday cracking atmosphere.in lower tiers! Mackems were very quiet for large spells they thot they just had to turn up to beat us. 

11 hours ago, Chris Custodiet said:

Why do goalies guess at pens? I don't remember Hoppy doing that and he saved a lot. Easy save for Matthews if he'd just stayed put.

Remember when you were chastising folk for not getting accountancy

Good job they’re more lenient with you about football because that comment is more clueless than anything that us “morons” ever wrote in the Sluffy and Custard thread

Utter fuckwit

• Site Supporter
41 minutes ago, roybarker said:

Agree I thought he should have used 2 subs with 15 minutes left

18 minutes ago, snowball said:

Thinking back now if Wright had stayed on we win

Woulda coulda shoulda

Nobody knows what might or might not have happened. Wright could've given away two penalties so your points are moot at best.

Let’s look at the positives here ok it’s another draw but Sunderland have a really good pool of attacking talent Grigg, NcNulty, O’Grady, McGeady and Wyke and we have no strikers as yet so to only concede via a penalty speaks volumes about our defensive shape and organisation.

They are five games ahead of us in terms of fitness so naturally we tired but the football played yesterday was a refreshing change and Bridcutt and Lowe controlled that midfield.

One more difference is that everybody wants the ball one instance stood out for me in the first half Lowe had the ball took it forward their player came to him he passed it off to Politic but carried on and moved into space to receive it back from Politic within one touch to carry on forward that was not happening under Parky.

All in all someone will get a five nil thrashing from us soon if we play like that and also I have never heard so much noise from the fans for a very long time Bolton are well and truly back

The football yesterday was a pleasure to watch. If we can can play like that every week I won't have any complaints.

I agree with comments about us needing to make a couple of substitutions and us winning if Wright played ninety minutes. But that might ultimately be our problem. For reasons outside of our control, we have a good first eleven and not very much else. If we can keep all our players fit for long enough though, we should be capable of putting a nice little run of results together.

Edited by Lt. Aldo Raine

2 minutes ago, Blondi said:

12/1? Bloody hell, worth a tenner surely.

I’d have stuck a few quid on at those odds if I thought we’re 15 points from safety now. Problem is, I can see the EFL chucking in at least another 6 points as punishment for Brentford/Doncaster and I just can’t see us making up 21 points from here.

5 minutes ago, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

The football yesterday was a pleasure to watch. If we can can play like that every week I won't have any complaints.

I agree with comments about us needing to make a couple of substitutions and us winning if Wright played ninety minutes. But that might ultimately be our problem. For reasons outside of our control, we have a good first eleven and not very much else. If we can keep all our players fit for long enough though, we should be capable of putting a nice little run of results together.

I agree. With a presence up top we should be more than a match for the majority of teams in this division over the coming weeks 

the concern is, the long winter months, games sat - Tues - sat, injuries & suspensions mount up and the threadbare squad losing a couple of key players and we’re out of our depth again 

we’ve very little wiggle room 

1 hour ago, snowball said:

Thinking back now if Wright had stayed on we win but bigger picture here. Enjoyjng the football now and well done to all who went yesterday cracking atmosphere.in lower tiers! Mackems were very quiet for large spells they thot they just had to turn up to beat us. 

Never know now but I really like Wright. His positioning in the box is spot on more often than not. Noticeable how many times he's in the right place for a block or clearance or last ditch tackle. 

2 minutes ago, barrycowdrill said:

I agree. With a presence up top we should be more than a match for the majority of teams in this division over the coming weeks 

the concern is, the long winter months, games sat - Tues - sat, injuries & suspensions mount up and the threadbare squad losing a couple of key players and we’re out of our depth again 

we’ve very little wiggle room 

On the other hand when teams and players have played a 46 game season we have played 39 and should be fresher than other teams 

1 minute ago, Chrisj said:

On the other hand when teams and players have played a 46 game season we have played 39 and should be fresher than other teams 

Never works out like that though does it 

look at the Bunney situation. It’s worked out ok with chicksen but won’t every time 

Wright went off yesterday and say he’s out for 2 weeks as an example. Zouma comes in and we look a little less solid again.. 

bridcutt and/or either of the current wingers get a knock and we’re scratching around again

the current XI will be playing more or less week in week out so the chances of them picking up suspensions quickly increases...

we could, very suddenly be back to square one 

11 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

After only 2 games these lads already look like a team, something that's been lacking for a couple of years.

I'm not that bothered if our points deduction proves too much and we get relegated, i don't think this current crop will go down without a fight, but if we do go down we'll start again in div 2 and enjoy the rebirth of our club.

Our vocal support has been absolute quality so far this season, it makes me proud.

Agree with that, they do look like a team.  That's credit to the players themselves but also is about having a good manager.  I agree I'd take being in Div 2 with a good manager and a stable club, but the shame in starting again in Div 2 is that some of these players wont go down to that level, and neither should they.  Every game we get out of Bridcutt and Verlinden is a bonus at this level, and Matthews and Politic can be added to that list.  But that's a discussion for another day.

1 hour ago, Blondi said:

12/1? Bloody hell, worth a tenner surely.

I think after the initial new manager boom, which in our case has netted 2 points from 9, the season is more likely to peter out into nothingness because we don't have a goalscorer.I can't see the midfield keeping up that standard, enthusiasm and energy level for months on end, which they'd need to do without goalscorers.
On the day Hill was appointed, I stated on here that Rochdale were an attractive, passing side who were held back because they couldn't afford to pay for goalscorers, that looks to be the case for Hill here for this season.That we started the season with a non league standard side, a 12 point penalty  and can't afford a goalscorer will surely be too big a hurdle to overcome relegation.

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was the reason too. 

We could steward it better or try those 'smoking cages' you see at other grounds. 

At the Bradford game, was sat next to a former steward.

Been plenty of issues with drugs in the piss stones in ESL. Perhaps any changes were to do with that.

2 hours ago, Blondi said:

Does anybody know what odds you can get for us to stay up? Thought we were around 5/2 with one bookmaker a couple of weeks back.

My mate went into a bookies shop on friday enquiring about the same bet, the bird behind the counter didn’t have the odds so she rang head office who said they wouldn’t take the bet because they are expecting the EFL to dish out a further points penalty.

12 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

My mate went into a bookies shop on friday enquiring about the same bet, the bird behind the counter didn’t have the odds so she rang head office who said they wouldn’t take the bet because they are expecting the EFL to dish out a further points penalty.

Nailed on, that’s why I’m getting my mind set on league 2 anything else is a bonus 

5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Couple of lads in east lower had Hobbs and 1-0, 1000/1  what a sickener.

Thats a shame- incredible odds. Once we have a fit striker playing i think our team will look nicely balanced. I agree with what a couple have said earlier that pretty soon we’re going to bum someone 5-0. From bummee to bummer so to speak 😂

Edited by Burndens Bogs