Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rudy

2 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

I don’t think I was lambasting them, just sharing a links of where we have spent money on something that we may need but later didn’t use. You seemed to mock the idea that anyone would do this as bad business practice (which in normal circumstances I agree it would be) 

Anyroad, I fully agree it will be complex, any more or less complex than the other hundreds of thousands of issues that have had to be overcome? creating a vaccine from scratch in 9 months being the big one that springs to mind 

However, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, the vaccine got approved last week and it’s going in peoples arms this week so they must have found a way 

Thank god 

Yep. I just want to hopefully get on with my life again. Let you lot get microchipped and we all move on 😁

All the people who espoused 'contract it, ride it out, crack on' - well the last part of the bollocks baseless mantra might prove tricky.

I had it in October and haven't done a tap by way of exercise since, but prior to that I was in good shape, could easily swim a mile, 10k runs, ride to Manc and back half-cut...

I've been back in the saddle past couple of days - even the slightest brew such as Weston Street and I'm heavy breathing like Savile's ghost haunting a Lil' Miss America Pageant...

Get home and I'm dry coughing to the point of throwing up. And all due to some wankshaft or other going about their business maskless and with miasma tainted maulers.

If I don't recover I'm going to smite at random some covid-deniers. 🤒

35 minutes ago, Spider said:

Let’s have some good, nay momentous news to start the day

Haha - Nice to see that. I can only imagine the massive effort by hundreds/thousands of people to enable that moment to happen. A massive thank you to every single one of them & anyone else helping to fight this virus.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Fingers crossed this Oxford vaccine can also get in on the act, as it's cheaper, easier to store and transport and we'll have loads of doses of it available, so can hopefully get all those that need vaccinating jabbed and get back to some sort of normality by the Spring

19 hours ago, jmjhb said:

She's still had more men than I've had hot dinners

Wimmin too, if she's not a lipstick - like Nicole Scherzinger, I'll eat my top hat. In fact I bet if their paths crossed at some showbiz do I reckon' it'd have been mere seconds before they were scissoring on the floor of the disabled bogs, or they snuck into the kitchens to reenact that scene from 'Requiem for a Dream' with a cucumber on a worktop.

Disappointed however that Ora is another selfish girl who doesn't sunbathe nude - tan lines are very distracting. Especially as she seems to have zero reservations to getting her tits out in other situations.

54 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Fingers crossed this Oxford vaccine can also get in on the act, as it's cheaper, easier to store and transport and we'll have loads of doses of it available, so can hopefully get all those that need vaccinating jabbed and get back to some sort of normality by the Spring

Spring? 

I was hoping that we would get out for Mad Friday 

• Site Supporter
14 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

But won’t take a flyer on a few deep freeze facilities that could help get a vaccine out and end the madness 😂

Except that they have. As I've detail more than once. 

Just because the authorities don't go round making statements about how many they've bought, doesn't mean its not happened.

3 hours ago, Sweep said:

Is the oxford vaccine a couple of weeks behind Pfizer ?

51 minutes ago, Big E said:

Is the oxford vaccine a couple of weeks behind Pfizer ?

I think I saw somewhere that as there were issues identified in the trials of the Oxford vaccine. (The half measures). It is likely that there will be extra scrutiny on the results. Which makes sense. The good thing was the issues were identified by the Oxford group themselves which shows they had good audit controls in place. 

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Except that they have. As I've detail more than once. 

Just because the authorities don't go round making statements about how many they've bought, doesn't mean its not happened.

I mentioned the other day about one of our customers who makes these lab freezers/fridges, and how they're making a killing at the minute (selling at upwards of 5 x their normal prices) - they really cannot make them quick enough. Well it seems that nearly all of their current and future orders for the next few months are almost all for export.

The NHS did place a nice big order for them in August/September time in preparation for the vaccine arriving in the UK, so there are quite a few of them knocking around here in the UK, so I'm not sure we have a shortage of them......if they're in the right places, and if they've got enough of them, who knows. To say the Government has delayed in ordering these freezers is bollocks though

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-55228422

The Oxford/AstraZeneca Covid vaccine is safe and effective, giving good protection, researchers have confirmed in The Lancet journal.

Most in the study were younger than 55, but the results so far indicate it does work well in older people too.

The data also suggest it can reduce spread of Covid, as well protect against illness and death.

The paper, assessed by independent scientists, sets out full results from advanced trials of over 20,000 people.

Regulators, who will have seen the same data, are considering the jab for emergency use.

But there are still important questions about what dose to give, as well as who it will protect.

When the interim trial results were made public in a press release about a fortnight ago, the researchers reported three efficacy levels for the vaccine - an overall effectiveness of 70%, a lower one of 62% and a high of 90%.

That's because different doses of the vaccine were mistakenly used in one part of the trial. Some volunteers were given shots that were half the planned strength in error.

Yet that "wrong" dose turned out to be a winner - giving 90% protection - while two standard doses gave 62%.

The Lancet report reveals 1,367 people - out of many thousands in the trial - received the half dose followed by a full dose, which gave them 90% protection against getting ill with Covid-19.

The relatively small numbers means it is hard to draw firm conclusions.

None of that group were over the age of 55 though - and experts know it is older people who are most at risk of severe Covid illness.

In terms of safety, there was one severe adverse event potentially related to the vaccine and another one - a high temperature - that is still being investigated.

Both these participants are recovering and are still in the trial.

media captionLaura Foster explains why the Oxford vaccine matters

The study also measured protection against asymptomatic infection by asking volunteers to do regular swabs to check if they had Covid without feeling unwell.

More of these cases were seen in the group that did not receive the vaccine.

Pascal Soriot, chief executive officer for AstraZeneca said: "The results show that the vaccine is effective against Covid-19, with in particular no severe infections and no hospitalisations in the vaccine group, as well as safe and well tolerated.

"We have begun submitting data to regulatory authorities around the world for early approval and our global supply chains are up and running, ready to quickly begin delivering hundreds of millions of doses on a global scale at no profit."

Meanwhile, the UK has started a mass vaccination campaign with another Covid jab made by Pfizer/BioNTech.

The Oxford/AstraZeneca vaccine could also play a major role in fighting the pandemic if it is approved soon.

It is cheaper than some of the other Covid vaccines and easier to store and distribute.

The UK government has pre-ordered 100 million doses of the Oxford vaccine, which uses a harmless virus altered to look a lot more like the virus that causes Covid-19.

AstraZeneca says it will make three billion doses for the world next year.

Get the pubs open

or, send the vaccines to pubs, free vaccine with your first pint

Edited by jmjhb

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Sweep said:

I mentioned the other day about one of our customers who makes these lab freezers/fridges, and how they're making a killing at the minute (selling at upwards of 5 x their normal prices) - they really cannot make them quick enough. Well it seems that nearly all of their current and future orders for the next few months are almost all for export.

The NHS did place a nice big order for them in August/September time in preparation for the vaccine arriving in the UK, so there are quite a few of them knocking around here in the UK, so I'm not sure we have a shortage of them......if they're in the right places, and if they've got enough of them, who knows. To say the Government has delayed in ordering these freezers is bollocks though

Yep. 

I'm sure I heard the other day that eventually, there will be around 1000 places to receive a vaccine. This has to be with the Oxford vaccine in mind:  if each one had a suitable freezer for the Pfizer vaccine, and each one only received one pack, that's just short of a million doses, which is more than has been sent initially, so some places would be without any!

Hence the hub set up is the obvious way to go initially, especially with the transport and approval issues taken into consideration. 

1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Yep. 

I'm sure I heard the other day that eventually, there will be around 1000 places to receive a vaccine. This has to be with the Oxford vaccine in mind:  if each one had a suitable freezer for the Pfizer vaccine, and each one only received one pack, that's just short of a million doses, which is more than has been sent initially, so some places would be without any!

Hence the hub set up is the obvious way to go initially, especially with the transport and approval issues taken into consideration. 

Interestingly, some of these fridges/freezers actually cost fuck all  -  my customer usually sells them for under £1K each (my fridge freezer at home cost more than that!) they've just sold 50 of them to France for just over £9K

Apparently, the UK have just also bought a load from Panasonic as well (according to my customer), as my customer can't meet the order delivery requirements in time (requested delivery early January)