Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pubs What Away Fans Go At Bolton.

leigh white

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

43 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Noticed a trend over the last few seasons when away fans just rock up in Leigh or Atherton for pre match cocktails.

Maybe it shows how much I’ve settled in to ‘stay at home until quarter past two’ routine on a home match day, but there haven’t been that many, have there? All presumably private coaches rather than public transport but I suppose in Atherton in particular they’ve got a great run of pubs close together. Always surprised when we do well in the ‘best away days’ polls as I also thought it would be up there with the worst on the whole. 

23 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

Maybe it shows how much I’ve settled in to ‘stay at home until quarter past two’ routine on a home match day, but there haven’t been that many, have there? All presumably private coaches rather than public transport but I suppose in Atherton in particular they’ve got a great run of pubs close together. Always surprised when we do well in the ‘best away days’ polls as I also thought it would be up there with the worst on the whole. 

Give over being sensible.😄

The other year, rather randomly, a coach load of Crewe fans (about 40 of them) rocked up at my local village pub at about 12:00, they were on their way to Stevenage, and as Stevenage is such a shithole, they'd put a pin in a map and decided to come to Langford (about 10 miles from Stevenage) - it was fucking odd going into my local pub at about 13:00, to be confronted with loads of pissed up Crewe fans. They stayed until about 14:30, and then straight to the ground. They spent about £800 in just over 2 hours, which was a nice surprise for the Landlord

58 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I remember a coachload of Middlesbrough turning up at Heaton Cricket Club in Smithills a few years back, it seemed a strange choice of venue with it being a bit of a trek from our stadium. 

Bradford used it as well a few years ago.

1 hour ago, Burndens Bogs said:

I remember a coachload of Middlesbrough turning up at Heaton Cricket Club in Smithills a few years back, it seemed a strange choice of venue with it being a bit of a trek from our stadium. 

Must have been some connection think same coachload went there every season for a few years certainly the Saturday afternoon ko"s

11 minutes ago, snowball said:

Must have been some connection think same coachload went there every season for a few years certainly the Saturday afternoon ko"s

Yeh that's what we thought at the time, but not being in the uber click in there we never found out.

I think one year when they were giddy 'Boro had two coachloads  roll up, so there were 80/90 semi pissed up Smograts in there.

Took a few boro fans to barnstormers last few times we've played them at home and they've raved about it, said it changed it from a crap away ground to visit to a good one. Does the beehive still do away fans only? I've heard mates from home say coaches have pulled up on market street westhoughton before matches a few times. 

19 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

Took a few boro fans to barnstormers last few times we've played them at home and they've raved about it, said it changed it from a crap away ground to visit to a good one. Does the beehive still do away fans only? I've heard mates from home say coaches have pulled up on market street westhoughton before matches a few times. 

Villa brought a few into Spoons

• Site Supporter
18 minutes ago, Ghana White said:

Bee Hive had home fans and away fans when we played Wigan.

Used to like Mill House when the ground opened I'm not a massive fan of anywhere near the ground now although I've not been in Scotts for couple of years, hotel is alright but doesn't feel like your having a beer after the match would prefer traditional pub, theres not that great options for us near the ground nevermind away fans, it's a cracking ground though.

Barnstormers 

Bee Hive 

Plus more are turning up in Westhoughton.

Spoons and at least 6 other pubs  , then getting taxis.

Wigan  of course just swamp the townhall steps in Bolton.

Verbally assaulting various Somali's and Romanians

Who frequent the town hall square.

Pompey fans went round town a couple of times with Ferny. They were sound but Westy, the bell man, was very close to getting thumped in the Griffin.

Worst one was the one time Wolves brought thousands in the 70's, walking past the Wheatsheaf before 12 & there was a Wolves flag in the window & it was full of them.  From there they saw Bolton fans heading for the Shep & attacked it, putting most of the windows in but they were repelled  😄. The Painters & one or two other pubs were full of them as well . It was different after the match for Wolves fans who went into town, especially those who regetted going in the Balmoral !!

Others were Chelsea who were left alone in the Trotters, Swindon who weren't left alone in the Trotters, Burnley who tried to keep out of the way in the Bradford Arms & Boro who i believe more than stood up for themselves at the Sweet Green..