Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Dogs and the vets

bolton_blondie

Sorry to hear that SJM, it really is horrible losing a pet. Feel for you. 

Mines only 7 yet but noticed last week that she is starting to get grey hairs above her eyes, it led me to start considering the inevitable. Hopefully not for a long while yet but it filled me with a proper sense of dread when I thought of it. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Sympathies. Horrible experience. Have you got any photos of him?

Currently looking up at photos of my old lurcher, and we lost him over 16 years ago.

He'll never leave you.

Yeh don’t know how to post them off a phone 

thanks everyone again means a lot, I’m absolutely gutted. 

Spotted a flea on the dog 10 days ago, few days after going to the groomers. Flea treatment, on dog and house done, but dog still scratching a bit, no fleas in sight for days, no sores at all but little black spots on belly ( not flea poo, like freckles this) anyone any idea?

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Aww so sorry to read this. Commiserations pal. It's still the hardest thing I've ever had to in life and the most upset I've ever been.

Was it Covid restrictions that stopped you from being in the room with him? 

Yes covid restrictions 

thanks again everyone. 

• Site Supporter
12 hours ago, superjohnmcginlay said:

Yeh don’t know how to post them off a phone 

thanks everyone again means a lot, I’m absolutely gutted. 

Get some in a frame on your wall somewhere. Might not look at them every day, but its still warming years later when you glance up and have a few moments. 

Sorry to hear sjm 

Took my dog to the vets last week for a check up.When they brought her back out to me got talking to the vet and she said they were only allowing owners who's pet where "end of life" in to the surgery but this obviously is not the case for all veterinary's

• Members
On 11/10/2020 at 02:06, superjohnmcginlay said:

Just had my Chocolate Lab put to sleep. Barney, aged 11 years and three months a great innings and a fabulous time. I’m an absolute mess. 

had to say goodbye in a fucking car park. 

anyway sleep well fella 

Sorry to hear that mate. Like losing a child - fucking devastating. RIP Barney.

I know we are planning to be in various parts of the world after retirement so haven't replaced our last little loyal friend but even if we weren't heading off, I don't know that I could go through losing one again after three previously. Too painful.

• 1 month later...
  • Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

Dentals are the real earner at the vets my missus works at.

Keep buying those dentastix, treats and gravy biscuits, and your pooch will have teeth like Shane Magowen.

They don’t need treats. 

Iiiiiiin one.

Dried flesh of one description or another for our's or bones. No processed high carb stuff.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Mr Grey said:

From now on, treats are banned, after he has finished the tin full we have left 😃

They’d be better for you than your dog!

All sugar and shite. Chuck them out and just get natural stuff as TMGJ says

• Site Supporter
29 minutes ago, Rudy said:

@Spider your Mrs must be loaded 

I was in the vets this week and in there I saw two French bulldogs panting like fuck and other one getting into the car as I was coming in.

Breeding these dogs on such a scale can’t be good 

French bulldogs are the top earner down at her place.

They've been bred to the point of such monginess that in a few years they’ll need ventilators.

• Site Supporter
42 minutes ago, Mr Grey said:

From now on, treats are banned, after he has finished the tin full we have left 😃

As a supplier of all things dog food related we obviously get a fair range of options for our hounds.

Pigs ears are useful as they take chewing as does rawhide etc. Actually helps dogs relax (chewing action apparently) and calories not as easily gained.

Dried fish (sprats) are excellent for a reward as they are tiny, but full of useful oils etc.

Can even dry your own stuff like a bit of liver for example. Use a really low oven for a good while and they dry out. 

Are you using dried dog food too, as they are also made with a carbohydrate source which acts as a binder.

Thats why I cook my own. Simply get raw stuff- used in BARF diets- (lots of stuff available) and add veg and a controlled amount of carbs. Cook and freeze if required.

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

As a supplier of all things dog food related we obviously get a fair range of options for our hounds.

Pigs ears are useful as they take chewing as does rawhide etc. Actually helps dogs relax (chewing action apparently) and calories not as easily gained.

Dried fish (sprats) are excellent for a reward as they are tiny, but full of useful oils etc.

Can even dry your own stuff like a bit of liver for example. Use a really low oven for a good while and they dry out. 

Are you using dried dog food too, as they are also made with a carbohydrate source which acts as a binder.

Thats why I cook my own. Simply get raw stuff- used in BARF diets- (lots of stuff available) and add veg and a controlled amount of carbs. Cook and freeze if required.

Who do you work for if I may ask?

1 hour ago, Spider said:

French bulldogs are the top earner down at her place.

They've been bred to the point of such monginess that in a few years they’ll need ventilators.

So true.

Folk are basically paying £3k a pop for a mongdog.

The fuckers cant breath and die early.