Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Sciatica

Zico

• Moderators

What a cunt of a condition to develop

absolute agony some days, especially in the morning - took 5 physio sessions, a telephone call with the GP and a video call with a hospital doc to get there

then to be told "it just heals itself in time, so long as you don't get pins and needles, then you might need an op"

in the mean time, doing Chinese acupuncture and waiting on prescription of Gabapentin 

anyone else?

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, ZicoKelly said:

absolute agony some days, especially in the morning - took 5 physio sessions, a telephone call with the GP and a video call with a hospital doc to get there

then to be told "it just heals itself in time, so long as you don't get pins and needles, then you might need an op"

in the mean time, doing Chinese acupuncture and waiting on prescription of Gabapentin 

anyone else?

Laid up with it at the moment. I find that rest & anti inflammatories with the occasional mooch around to avoid total seizure is the only thing that works. 

I've had loads of muscle, tendon, nerve issues for a few years. Only thing that works for me, unfortunately is the age old advice. Time, heat, ice, stretching, massage and keep active as possible but don't overdo it. I exercise/stretch 3 times a day for about 15 mins a time, and I get up off my arse as much as possible. Sitting down for long periods fucks me up. I bought a desk that rises from IKEA, so I can stand up instead of sitting down when working, got a new mattress, bought a high backed settee, works for me. Painkillers only work very short term.

1 hour ago, ZicoKelly said:

anyone else?

If you want to buy a new wardrobe fire into the gabapentin. If you don’t want to put on two stone in about a month steer clear. @Tonge moor green jacket will back me up it isn’t good for the waistline and you cannot prevent it. 

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yoga twice a week will help 

Is yoga worth doing? In general I mean, not just for cowboy boot related complaints?

Always fancied a go at it but fear I may get stuck with my nose millimetres from my arsehole attempting some mad position

Just now, Spider said:

Is yoga worth doing? In general I mean, not just for cowboy boot related complaints?

Always fancied a go at it but fear I may get stuck with my nose millimetres from my arsehole attempting some mad position

Your head is always up your arse fella 🙄 😉 

3 minutes ago, Spider said:

Pilates good as well 

• Members
8 minutes ago, Spider said:

I’ve done it and taught it for years, good for preventing any little injuries, good for strength, weight loss, cardio, flexibility. 

Those little aches and groans you have as you get older when you’re bending down or standing up can be helped with Yoga

Forget wasting your cash on seeing a physio, Chiropractor or Osteopath, they cost a fortune and I've never benefited from seeing one ever! 

I've suffered from intermittent sciatica for over 25 years now and the best thing you can do is rest, take plenty of anti inflammatories after food and you should be much better after a few days.

• Site Supporter
4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

If you want to buy a new wardrobe fire into the gabapentin. If you don’t want to put on two stone in about a month steer clear. @Tonge moor green jacket will back me up it isn’t good for the waistline and you cannot prevent it. 

Just had a read about gabapentin and its comparison to pregablin. Some similarities and some differences, but you would assume that it could put weight on like pregablin. 

Certainly doesn't want to be on it for a long time if it can be treated with exercises and acupuncture. 

Edited by Tonge moor green jacket