Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Great Lever - Teenager stabbed to death

Spider

1 hour ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Back on the manor, still crawling with O.B.

As well as the original area the bridge over the rally (railway) Lever Edge/Green Lane was cordoned off when I passed...

anyone remember  Ricky Livied  a old Comedian 

he lived on Walker av

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Was on about this today in the beer garden, to many realistic violent games on the PS.

Was saying same earlier. The violence in many games mean you get fairly immune to it. Go out, (in virtual world) stab some fucker and hope you got away with it. But hey, if you get caught, press  reboot and start from where you last saved. 

Going back to the delinquent wankers kicking off at the Exeter game, even the older heads would be wary of taking them to task because there’s absolutely no fear from sticking a knife into someone.

• Members

Daughters 7. Scares me that one day she will want to go out playing and some little shits are walking round thinking they are gangland members.

Keep thinking about sending her to some sort of self defence/boxing class. She's got a mean right hook like her Mam and Nana. little sod. 

33 minutes ago, little whitt said:

anyone remember  Ricky Livied  a old Comedian 

he lived on Walker av

Yes saw him a few times at the Aquarius club (aka the Shed) in the 80's, as well as Bernard Manning & Stan Boardman, it went down hill a bit when it became Yorkies.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, bolton_blondie said:

Daughters 7. Scares me that one day she will want to go out playing and some little shits are walking round thinking they are gangland members.

Keep thinking about sending her to some sort of self defence/boxing class. She's got a mean right hook like her Mam and Nana. little sod. 

My son and daughter’s lives were so filled with sporty type things to do in the evenings. Football and cricket for him and football, netball, rounders and athletics for her.  They never really had time to go hanging out in gangs.

The result is that both have a wide circle of friends made up mostly of people with something in common.

• Site Supporter

At the risk of sounding old, knives being carried in such numbers is a recent phenomenon.

Drill music glamourises it and is very popular.

The law needs to be dialled up and anyone found carrying needs to know its jail time if caught.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

At the risk of sounding old, knives being carried in such numbers is a recent phenomenon.

Drill music glamourises it and is very popular.

The law needs to be dialled up and anyone found carrying needs to know its jail time if caught.

I carried a knife as a kid. I never once considered sticking it in anything other than a tree to carve my initials.

• Site Supporter
Just now, MickyD said:

I carried a knife as a kid. I never once considered sticking it in anything other than a tree to carve my initials.

I’m sure as a right thinking individual you would understand a change of law to prevent anyone under 18 carrying a knife now though.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Was on about this today in the beer garden, to many realistic violent games on the PS.

I know researchers tend to suggest not, but I can't help feeling you're right. It must have some effect, together with action movies that glamourise guns etc with killing applenty, music and a general acceptance of violence in society.

Iirc the bulger killers had watched movies beyond their years.

Of course much comes back to parenting etc, but it seems the value of life isn't as high as it should be.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Spider said:

I’m sure as a right thinking individual you would understand a change of law to prevent anyone under 18 carrying a knife now though.

Absolutely I do. 

• Members

I have listened to rap/grime/hip hop played the most violent video games watched the most graphic films and never felt the urge to carry a knife or get involved with a gang. 

I am a vile druggy thug but a harmless friendly one 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Used to get dead smart looking knives from souvenir shops in N Wales on holidays when I was 12, to play stretch with my mates.

Was ‘stretch’ the opposite of a game we played? We started off opposite each other and threw the knife, which had to stick in blade first, and your opponent would move one foot to touch the knife and take their turn. Game stopped when there was insufficient room to get the knife between shoes.

I imagine stretch was the safer version.

51 minutes ago, Black Sheep said:

Yes saw him a few times at the Aquarius club (aka the Shed) in the 80's, as well as Bernard Manning & Stan Boardman, it went down hill a bit when it became Yorkies.

Remember seeing the Salford Jets at Aquarius just after it turned to Yorkies, absolutely bouncing!.

14 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I have listened to rap/grime/hip hop played the most violent video games watched the most graphic films and SEEN GONZO's WHATSAPP VIDEO'S never felt the urge to carry a knife or get involved with a gang. 

1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Was ‘stretch’ the opposite of a game we played? We started off opposite each other and threw the knife, which had to stick in blade first, and your opponent would move one foot to touch the knife and take their turn. Game stopped when there was insufficient room to get the knife between shoes.

I imagine stretch was the safer version.

It was indeed, and throwing a blade at a fence or a tree from a distance and it stuck in was quite an achievement, the knife usually lasted about a Month before it fell apart.

2 hours ago, Rudy said:

I have listened to rap/grime/hip hop played the most violent video games watched the most graphic films and never felt the urge to carry a knife or get involved with a gang. 

Aye far too simplistic to blame music and games. Plenty more changed over time.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, tomski said:

Aye far too simplistic to blame music and games. Plenty more changed over time.

It has, though perhaps music, film, TV and media in general reflect those societal changes, and in some cases become fashionable. 

A little while ago I was in the waiting room at Bury police station. Was with the wife and lad. Only ones there and then a young girl came in with a nipper who was probably around 2.

The kid ran up to me shouted "piss off" and punched me in the face.

Absolutely true, and was arguably more distressing than some adult doing similar. 

What do you do in that situation? I know what I wanted to do, but I would never have come home...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19279648.prestwich-man-sentenced-knife-possession-illegal-driving-bolton/?fbclid=IwAR30PozOha8IjoU45uoEjPGXRqP9Uz2e1IPjVFcnFuiZhFiOxokuyo4oQFc

Fkin waste of time these judges. Any cunt carrying a knife for no legitimate reason give them 10 years. If you use it then 20. 

Edited by royal white

• Site Supporter

Gang culture is an absolute destroyer of young people, can see it develop in the way that kids communicate.

Kids who feel they don't fit in, made to feel welcome and then trapped in a constant game of one up-manship.

I can't see many on here having kids that would fall into the category, as web forums are different to facebook and most social media, and people are more level headed. Some parents create this culture where kids are untouchable and can do what they want, it's not preparing them for the wider world. 

Having issues at work atm with teenagers answering back and refusing to follow rules, simply put they don't care about the repercussions of what they do, or have enough respect for anyone of themselves. You can't even reason with kids in that position. I see it day in day out, kids who have been told they don't have to follow rules..A fair few have been told that the school can't enforce them to wear a mask, so now half the kids aren't bothering..

Seen a young girl threatening to stab a student and then fake cough on me when i put myself between them. 2 days and she's back in school. Same persons threatened staff previously. Only a matter of time until it's said to the wrong person. 

Some of it is from desensitization to violence from video games but, a lot of it is simply as mentioned before, that need to fit in. 

Then you get pricks like Noel Clarke, it comes as no surprise that he has allegations against him, you can just tell he's the type to treat people like shit. On one hand he's against sterotypes and gang culture, next minute he's pumping out films that glorify it and making money from gang culture. 

On a side note, someone tried to break in last night, clearly kids as they didn't know "how" to break in, just tried the handle and then tried to force it open.. 4th time since moving house. Was about 4:30 in the morning. Not entirely certain what they were after as we don't have anything worth stealing as all our money is "in the house". 

Problem is once kids are on that path, it's not always possible to stop it. 

BTW did anyone see the video of the mum that locked in her daughter during lockdown, and the daughter screaming and shouting at her, easier to let her go out, but well done that mum.