Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Covid-19

Spider

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

nope, but I've currently got private medical insurance, and if we didn't have the NHS, then I'd make sure that I had all the insurances that were/are required to ensure that I always had the best possible treatment, and I reckon I'd still end up paying a lot less than I do now towards helping run the bloated, hugely inefficient system

If you wanted the very best insurance, it would cost you more.

Take a cancer treatment, or some massively expensive surgery. In order to cover the cost of such, then a top level insurance with a high premium would be needed.

At least as it is, you don't have to concern yourself about such premiums. 

All depends whether you ever need such expensive treatment. Know one knows what the future holds.

5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Replaced by the need for medical insurance then?

yes, although neither you nor I know what those costs would be, as we've never had to do it. It may be more or may be less than I pay now, but at least I'd only be paying for myself, and not other people, who I don't generally give a fuck about.

Just now, stevieb said:

What are you talking about? It's the best Healthcare system in the world and it's free... 

I always seem to forget that 🙂

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you wanted the very best insurance, it would cost you more.

Take a cancer treatment, or some massively expensive surgery. In order to cover the cost of such, then a top level insurance with a high premium would be needed.

At least as it is, you don't have to concern yourself about such premiums. 

All depends whether you ever need such expensive treatment. Know one knows what the future holds.

Would it?

How much does it cost me now?

How much would the very best insurance cost me?

I'm going to assume that you know these figures, for you to make such a statement

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Sweep said:

nope, but I've currently got private medical insurance, and if we didn't have the NHS, then I'd make sure that I had all the insurances that were/are required to ensure that I always had the best possible treatment, and I reckon I'd still end up paying a lot less than I do now towards helping run the bloated, hugely inefficient system

In 2020, the average national cost for health insurance is $456 for an individual and $1,152 for a family per month. However, costs vary among the wide selection of health plans.

That is average and all but the most expensive plans mean you still have to contribute to costs, so if you break your arm most costs are covered but expect a bill for at least a grand.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Sweep said:

yes, although neither you nor I know what those costs would be, as we've never had to do it. It may be more or may be less than I pay now, but at least I'd only be paying for myself, and not other people, who I don't generally give a fuck about.

I always seem to forget that 🙂

I think we've gathered your ethos over the years. Each to their own, but remember the words of Oliver Wendell Holmes. 

Take it further, and would your folks have been able to pay for your schooling from primary onwards, to the level it was provided free?

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Sweep said:

Would it?

How much does it cost me now?

How much would the very best insurance cost me?

I'm going to assume that you know these figures, for you to make such a statement

If you understand anything about insurance you'll be able to grasp that yourself.

With NI, we all subsidise each other.

With insurance, they need to make a profit.

Therefore, if you want all inclusive cover it would be more. If you wanted more basic level, you'd pay less. 

Not rocket science.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

If you understand anything about insurance you'll be able to grasp that yourself.

Therefore, if you want all inclusive cover it would be more. If you wanted more basic level, you'd pay less. 

Not rocket science.

I know all that. As it stands, clearly you think the NHS is OK, I think it's massively bloated and is greatly inefficient. I think that some parts of it could/should be sold off. The obvious downside to my plan, is the Government would just hive the money off elsewhere, and wouldn't reduce any NI payments anyway, so it's a non starter.

We'll never sell it off lock, stock and barrel, but within a few years, we will be selling parts of it off. In the ideal world, we should be given the option to "opt in or opt out" of payments going towards the NHS and then we can decide ourselves what we want to do, but that'll never happen either

As someone who uses private healthcare you will also know that it is also greatly inefficient. As in the American system, consultants are very keen to carry out procedures etc. when maybe simpler cheaper options are available. They love cutting you open, its what they do.

1 minute ago, Nowack said:

As someone who uses private healthcare you will also know that it is also greatly inefficient. As in the American system, consultants are very keen to carry out procedures etc. when maybe simpler cheaper options are available. They love cutting you open, its what they do.

I'm well aware of that, it's no different to seeing the Vets eyes light up when they know you have pet insurance....

For what it's worth, I think the staff of the NHS, on a day to day basis, do a great job especially those lower down the pay scale, but if it's not to have bits sold off, then it needs huge reforms, I think most can agree on that

Guest Nordkurve
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not rocket science.

You pay less, until you have a health issue. Then watch your premiums go up. I have many friends here that opted out of the State scheme where you pay around 17.5% of your income in Health insurance. Initially they paid a lot less, but as soon as you need medicine every month for Diabetes or whatever, all of a sudden you are paying double. My contributions per month in the State system are about 350 euro now. The Company pays the same, so about 700 Euro per month goes in as my contribution. One friend who was paying 150 Euro per Month private is now paying more than 400 euro per month just because he has to have Metformin tablets and bloodwork every 6 months, and you can't opt back in to the State System once you go Private except for certain circumstances like becoming unemployed long term.

6 hours ago, Sweep said:

mine here presently cost me $1600 a month, thats for me and my wife , middle tier insurance ... be very carful what you wish for.

Didnt the Tories try to reform the NHS when they got into power in 2010?

Hunt seemed to make a complete balls up of it though so i dont really trust politicans to reform the NHS.

Management seems to be bloated but they do the hiring and firing and so they keep getting fatter off it.

36 minutes ago, Tungsten3 said:

Didnt the Tories try to reform the NHS when they got into power in 2010?

Hunt seemed to make a complete balls up of it though so i dont really trust politicans to reform the NHS.

Management seems to be bloated but they do the hiring and firing and so they keep getting fatter off it.

It was Lansley that ballsed it up. Hunt wasn't that bad tbf. 

Daughter needed a big operation in 2019. Nhs waiting list was nearly 2 years and probably still wouldn’t have had it by now with all the covid delays. Fortunately was covered by bupa and got it done within 2 months. It cost me £100 excess and bupa £38000 and there are still more check ups and X-rays to follow - probably be close to £40k at the end. 

She had 2 top surgeons and their team for the day then the entire ICU unit to herself with 3 nurses, children’s ward to herself for a week with 2 dedicated nurses, etc. Felt guilty how I was able to be part of a 2 tier system and seeing those wonderful resources not being utilised whilst the nhs waiting lists are so big but grateful for my dad making me take out PMI as soon as I could afford it - top of the list son. 

BUPA premium now trebled but I’ve still got it and it will be the last thing to cut out if I hit hard times. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Rudy said:

Yeah fought and died for our country. Didn’t cry at getting a vaccine 

Fuckin dicks

In one.

We all know who the enemy was then, and folk pulled their weight as best they could I'm fighting it.

Now the enemy is a virus, and they just need to do their bit by having an injection. 

Cuntosaurs. 

• Members
1 minute ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

In one.

We all know who the enemy was then, and folk pulled their weight as best they could I'm fighting it.

Now the enemy is a virus, and they just need to do their bit by having an injection. 

Cuntosaurs. 

It fucks me off that they label Germany as the enemy when it was Germany under the Nazi regime. Two different things and Germany are a country who are ashamed of their past and pay respect to all sides.