Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

A View From The Other Side

matty2094

8 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Did you wear a gown? Did you ride a bike to lectures? Did you run in the 1924 Olympics? Did you burn a £20 note in front of a tramp? Was your nickname 'oik'? Did you have tuck hampers? Did you play 'Go' and listen to Pink Floyd? Did you have a Butler? 

No I was a scruffy punk. You are kidding right, I didn't have my cycle proficiency badge. Run, only after the Eton lad who took this piss. What's a £20 note? They called me by my first name (so Eton comment above). Come on mate, i'm from Bolton, we don't do hampers. Pink Floyd........no. No, but got invited to a posh house who had one. 

10 hours ago, Traf said:

Oh, FFS. I'd better start saving up.

They also don't like students getting jobs.

I work with a lot of Oxbridge folk - some are super bright, some aren't, some are from a rich background, some aren't. I dunno, from my limited knowledge of them there seems to be a seam that is the rch and entitled, but then there's everyone else who are just there, passed the exams and the interviews and wanted that experience. Considering I work with a lot, it doesn't seem to have given them a huge leg! 😄

I know they love to say its now over 60% from state schools now but considering that just over 5% of british school children go to public school it sort of highlights the imbalance. At least it is now over 50% - this does include things like state run grammars as well - I think my daughter's school proudly claimed they sent over 50 of their sixth formers to Oxbridge or LSE, I wasn't paying much attention as I very much doubt they'll go - they have their hearts set on Manchester. Another thing is that the South is overhwelmingly represented at Oxbridge, and no one is telling me Northern kids are thicker - so c'mon Boris lets get this levelling up roadshow up and running.

22 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Their rules even prohibit it, they can work but have quite a severe maximum number of hours they can work during term, which is more restrictive than other institutions as far as I have seen. But it is certainly frowned upon, you are there to focus on your education, and if you can't afford to live that is your own hard luck.

Which given the additional costs which come from being members of the colleges and the mandatory fees they charge is something else which impacts the diversity across the institution.

They really are quite archaic in their thinking and approach. They are changing very slowly, but there is also some resistance due to history and traditions blah blah blah.

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

I work with a lot of Oxbridge folk - some are super bright, some aren't, some are from a rich background, some aren't. I dunno, from my limited knowledge of them there seems to be a seam that is the rch and entitled, but then there's everyone else who are just there, passed the exams and the interviews and wanted that experience. Considering I work with a lot, it doesn't seem to have given them a huge leg! 😄

I know they love to say its now over 60% from state schools now but considering that just over 5% of british school children go to public school it sort of highlights the imbalance. At least it is now over 50% - this does include things like state run grammars as well - I think my daughter's school proudly claimed they sent over 50 of their sixth formers to Oxbridge or LSE, I wasn't paying much attention as I very much doubt they'll go - they have their hearts set on Manchester. Another thing is that the South is overhwelmingly represented at Oxbridge, and no one is telling me Northern kids are thicker - so c'mon Boris lets get this levelling up roadshow up and running.

Yeah, UCL & LSE are her backup choices if she doesn't get to Cambs.

3 hours ago, Dimron said:

Received this in my inbox from somebody at Cambridge Utd:

Had to touch base after last night....safe to say you've signed well!

Decent team there.

Should have been a hatful by half time so 2-0 was kind

I hope you've blocked him / told him to fuck off for saying, "Had to touch base."