Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Safe standing

Rudy

If you are moving a block of 3 people like us there are few blocks of 3 together at the moment in the stadium if they wanted to do this it should be done before season tickets are renewed you will have to move a lot of 2 supporters who sit  together and there just aren't enough 2 spare seats together either you can really only do crazy corner

• Site Supporter

Surely the South Stand has to be the best option? (alongside crazy corner)

Like Derby have done, you’d make the away end safe standing as they stand up all game too. 

Good opportunity to utilise part of the stadium that’s under utilised at the moment for home fans giving a different experience and attracting more fans into the bargain.

All of this withstanding the policing/staffing etc. 

• Site Supporter
13 minutes ago, desperado said:

Surely the South Stand has to be the best option? (alongside crazy corner)

Like Derby have done, you’d make the away end safe standing as they stand up all game too. 

Good opportunity to utilise part of the stadium that’s under utilised at the moment for home fans giving a different experience and attracting more fans into the bargain.

All of this withstanding the policing/staffing etc. 

Why do you think that it would attract extra fans?

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Why do you think that it would attract extra fans?

I’m just thinking you might have some who like the idea of going every week standing up, possibly grouping up with other mates. Some might move there from other popular areas that are full also creating more spaces say in East Lower where you can’t get at the minute.

I don’t think it will be masses but it could attract both current and new fans. While I wouldn’t consider moving there at the minute with my 83 year old dad, I’d certainly like to try it for cup games and possibly relocate for some league games. 

I have no interest is standing at home games but sure for plenty it will be a good idea and certainly will do more for atmosphere than worrying about what music we play 

Crack on, would piss me off if it meant me moving seats but tackle that if it happens. 

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’m just thinking you might have some who like the idea of going every week standing up, possibly grouping up with other mates. Some might move there from other popular areas that are full also creating more spaces say in East Lower where you can’t get at the minute.

I don’t think it will be masses but it could attract both current and new fans. While I wouldn’t consider moving there at the minute with my 83 year old dad, I’d certainly like to try it for cup games and possibly relocate for some league games. 

Yeah, but that’s fans from other sections of the stadium and although the ticket plan shows few empty spaces, we can all see plenty of empty seats all over the place.

Folks are standing up in ESU now, above crazy corner. It’ll just mean a few folks moving around to stand up officially.

• Moderators

safe standing should be a combination of east and south lower- IL1, then the corner right below the scoreboard, then the first block in the south

if it's a success, make it two blocks in both east and south

or all the south, we'd probably have a better chance of getting fans in it then and only give away fans the upper

• Site Supporter

Not a chance will it be in ESL Crazy Corner. They’ll use this to push that boisterous energy to NSL or into a corner of ESL and NSL so it’s picked up on TV games. 
Neil Hart has been thinking of ways to break up the Crazy Corner; here’s his opportunity.

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, MickyD said:

Not a chance will it be in ESL Crazy Corner. They’ll use this to push that boisterous energy to NSL or into a corner of ESL and NSL so it’s picked up on TV games. 
Neil Hart has been thinking of ways to break up the Crazy Corner; here’s his opportunity.

Probably correct, but they can't have it both ways.

They're asking for a raucous atmosphere yet they're breaking up the very area that sets the tone. Just because of a few plastic bottles at that twat.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, MickyD said:

there's a lower tier that is empty most weeks

surely it will be there

3 hours ago, MickyD said:

3 hours ago, Steejay said:

Probably correct, but they can't have it both ways.

They're asking for a raucous atmosphere yet they're breaking up the very area that sets the tone. Just because of a few plastic bottles at that twat.

The nature of the barriers means those raucous areas actually become easier to manage which is why I still think that corner would be a front runner 

23 hours ago, L/H White said:

use all south lower, give people option to move 

and away fans only get south upper

be a right stand if it houses both 

get lofty in there head to toe in stone island 

absolute carnage outside at full time

I'd have thought you'd be dead against it.

18 hours ago, Tombwfc said:

People aren't going to move from under the scoreboard in the ESL, where they've been able to stand anyway for decades (and balloon nearish some away fans). Nor will there ever be the will to make sure people there sit.

So having this in the North Stand sounds like a mess waiting to happen. It'll just piss off a load of people who'll have to move, or they won't move and instead just complain about sporadic standers who've turned up near them.

It's something that should happen, but there needs to be some realism that we've had safe standing at the Reebok for a long time now. This is just making it official.

Spot on and It makes sense to implement it in the area of the ground which has traditionally been an unofficial standing area. 

Safe standing is just standing with a barrier on every row is it not. I know you get a seat but that can only be of any use before the game or at half time. If you sit during game you are going to have the guy in front sticking his arse in your face or the guy behind hanging over your head and you ain't gonna see a thing.You won't be able to moan because that would make you look daft.

I don't like standing my knees are knackered and I am a short arse but I'm all for it for those that want it

In recent years giving people a vote hasn’t been very successful. Just pick somewhere and do it. I stand at home games and would consider moving depending on where it goes. 

It won't be behind a goal in lower North stand because of you have people standing people in seats at either side and behind won't be able to see. Charlton are doing the Same it is back of upper tier behind home goal so it doesn't block views either behind or each side for people sitting down

6 minutes ago, Hoppy said:

It won't be behind a goal in lower North stand because of you have people standing people in seats at either side and behind won't be able to see. Charlton are doing the Same it is back of upper tier behind home goal so it doesn't block views either behind or each side for people sitting down

I can't see them even considering standing upstairs - won't risk some bellend going over the wall

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, BOWTUN BAKED said:

Last 5 rows or so of the entire East Stand Lower.

Sorted.

This is the reason it really shouldn’t be happening anywhere other than crazy corner (where it already happens) and South Stand.

We’re row X, 3 from back in EL and if that happened it would trigger the end for my 83 year old dad going. Loves that seat, he wouldn’t relocate somewhere else.

And there will be stories like that all over the ground if they go into areas where folk currently sit.

It’s a good idea, only if they get it right. Get it wrong and you’ll have the opposite effect/reaction.

The club need to just put in in the crazy corner. We don't have a kop or any history of having any section like that behind the goal. Not since burnden anyway. You can't just create a new one and expect everyone to just go there. I ain't moving to the north lower even if it becomes the safe standing area. Being behind the goal is for away games.