Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charity Match

L/H White

• Moderators
5 hours ago, desperado said:

The point I made earlier which I think Johnny was backing up was their premier league status, their allegiance and affection to a club in this country.

That Blackburn 95 side would be their equivalent but they had a Liverpool legend managing them a Geordie hero up front and a bunch of other players who went on (or had previously) made their names at other English clubs.

Our legends are Bolton through and through and would have only come back to one English club to do what they did yesterday.

fair points, and aye, they were definitely "our" players

15 hours ago, Zico said:

Being pedantic but campo had a CL medal and okocha a £10m transfer and decent World Cup before they signed for us 

Sounds like an ace day though and gutted i couldn't make it

Yes, you're right to point that out.  I think where I'm coming from is that they both enhanced their reputations hugely by coming to us; if most non BW people think of Campo and Okocha there's a good chance they'll think of them playing for Bolton.   Whereas your Yourri, Hierro, Anelka for eg would arguably still have left virtually the same legacy whether or not they passed through Bolton, and are associated with a few more clubs.  Just my perception, could be well wide of the mark.

8 hours ago, desperado said:

The point I made earlier which I think Johnny was backing up was their premier league status, their allegiance and affection to a club in this country.

That Blackburn 95 side would be their equivalent but they had a Liverpool legend managing them a Geordie hero up front and a bunch of other players who went on (or had previously) made their names at other English clubs.

Our legends are Bolton through and through and would have only come back to one English club to do what they did yesterday.

Precisely!

• Members
21 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Echoing sentiments above, cant express how emotional that all felt yesterday.

FV, the current squad and Ian Evatt must have gone to bed last night thinking fuck me what a club this is. My dad said to my lads coming out that we've always been a family club and it couldn't be truer. We have always seemed to made a connection with players hence they always want to come back and speak about us warmly. (Bar the odd few :) )

On the back of nearly losing our club and the horrendous KA years, yesterday was the cherry on the top, and just makes you realise just how much we all had to lose. 

After a difficult few weeks it was great to put a smile on the old fellas face as well x

Screenshot_20211115-165818_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.fe4cdc99edfdb8d67c40af1425fd91b2.jpg

Why has your Dad gone to match with Kevin Bridges? Cracking smiles 👍

Edited by bolton_blondie

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, deane koontz said:

Make it a thing and do it once a year. 

Wife said similar. Every team should have an annual current squad v club legends game for charity.

Wigan could play first half with a football and second with an egg.