Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Football Ventures

Mounts Kipper

I’ve been wondering about the financial plan since they first announced that the goal was to get back to the Prem in 5 years. Can’t see a a way for the current ownership to finance it unless the Swiss are loaded and seeing how it goes. 
Our last Swiss resident owner didn’t work out very well TBH.
New investors are a possibility but I reckon Shazza would be very selective about who she’d sell to given all her chat about ethics etc.

That said, serious money will be needed and Shazza is a smart cookie so I expect conversations with potential investors/buyers have been ongoing for ages and investment lined up contingent on hitting certain targets eg promotion or stability in the Championship.

Seeing what we’ve been through, I feel we’re in relatively safe hands and if we did get new owners it wouldn’t surprise me if they asked Shazza to stay on as Chair or MD.

• Site Supporter
10 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

I’ve been wondering about the financial plan since they first announced that the goal was to get back to the Prem in 5 years. Can’t see a a way for the current ownership to finance it unless the Swiss are loaded and seeing how it goes. 
New investors are a possibility but I reckon Shazza would be very selective about who she’d sell to given all her chat about ethics etc.

That said, serious money will be needed and Shazza is a smart cookie so I expect conversations with potential investors/buyers have been ongoing for ages and investment lined up contingent on hitting certain targets eg promotion or stability in the Championship.

Seeing what we’ve been through, I feel we’re in relatively safe hands and if we did get new owners it wouldn’t surprise me if they asked Shazza to stay on as Chair or MD.

I don't think they've ever said that have they? Evatt has said he believes it's possible, but Football Ventures have never declared it as a target as far as I'm aware.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

From where we were when the took over, five years would be virtually impossible. 

Exactly. Absolutely pie in the sky.

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, LeggyMountbatten said:

Was it not five years to get back to the Championship?

From before the play-offs last season:

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23493554.bolton-wanderers-progress-continues-says-football-ventures-director/

“Me and Sharon said when I arrived at the club that in three years we wanted to be in the Championship,” he said. “That was the target, and we have a chance to achieve that now.

Edited by Cheese

26 minutes ago, LeggyMountbatten said:

Was it not five years to get back to the Championship?

I think that was a later quote around the time IE extended his contract- perhaps a revised target? - but I seem to remember an earlier one around 2020/21 when the Prem was mentioned as the target - but only once, after which the narrative was modified and generic phrases were reeled out, usually “get back to where we belong” on several occasions and even “clear skies and sunny days” whatever that means.

The club has certainly rolled back on the rhetoric, despite our success. The point about us needing serious money and where/how it might come from still stands though - and even though the five year Prem goal comment is hiding somewhere in internet land, I still think that “where we belong” is the top flight.

Wages & player fees, both selling & buying, rise exponentially in the Championship.

General player standards are notably higher too. Look how excitable we get about signing a 20yr old from West Brom's bench.

Getting there is well within our grasp. Staying there too if only because every season brings fresh clubs in crisis ... largely due to overspending for the Premietship dream.

I want to get there. I want a fixture list of clubs I recognise. I want not to have to apologise to myself that we're playing clubs notably out of our 'proper' level.

Once there I want to be comfortably mid-table, then top 8 & yes, then, naturally I'll look higher. Strangely I'm not too keen on the Premiership but I guess that might change once close to it.

15 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Wages & player fees, both selling & buying, rise exponentially in the Championship.

General player standards are notably higher too. Look how excitable we get about signing a 20yr old from West Brom's bench.

Getting there is well within our grasp. Staying there too if only because every season brings fresh clubs in crisis ... largely due to overspending for the Premietship dream.

I want to get there. I want a fixture list of clubs I recognise. I want not to have to apologise to myself that we're playing clubs notably out of our 'proper' level.

Once there I want to be comfortably mid-table, then top 8 & yes, then, naturally I'll look higher. Strangely I'm not too keen on the Premiership but I guess that might change once close to it.

Why do you apologise to yourself?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Wanderlust said:

I think that was a later quote around the time IE extended his contract- perhaps a revised target? - but I seem to remember an earlier one around 2020/21 when the Prem was mentioned as the target - but only once, after which the narrative was modified and generic phrases were reeled out, usually “get back to where we belong” on several occasions and even “clear skies and sunny days” whatever that means.

The club has certainly rolled back on the rhetoric, despite our success. The point about us needing serious money and where/how it might come from still stands though - and even though the five year Prem goal comment is hiding somewhere in internet land, I still think that “where we belong” is the top flight.

IE has said he wants to manage in the PL and wants it to be with Bolton. 

FVs aim in the first instance is to be a self sustainable championship club

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

From where we were when the took over, five years would be virtually impossible. 

In the blackest of black days before FV five more years in the EFL seemed virtually impossible. Points deducted, players gone, no money, no water at training, food banks, Sweaty Ken and Onions in charge, every no mark tinpot club wanting us shut down.

Here we are though, promotion to Championship on the horizon, won a cup, regular 20,000 crowds, heading in the right direction.

With apparently people serious about investment and taking us on. Sharon will make sure they are right for us, and not just some chancers holding a big bag of money.

If it takes another year the Premier league will just have to wait for us. When we're bigger and stronger.

4 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Busy day fella? :D

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Busy day fella? :D

Yup. Had to look round 2 shit houses near Mojácar with the missus this afternoon so I’m consoling myself with a glass of vino, eating in an hour or so and should be back just in time for the game. Tough life retirement.

41 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Yup. Had to look round 2 shit houses near Mojácar with the missus this afternoon so I’m consoling myself with a glass of vino, eating in an hour or so and should be back just in time for the game. Tough life retirement.

Its a Amazing place Mojacar 

been 8 times in the past 2 years my mate lives there

53 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

Absolutely fabulous 

Enjoy

5 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Yep. Getting there is one thing (let's hope it's this year). Getting a foothold in the league and consolidating is quite another. I think we are equipped as a club and fanbase and there's generally enough dross around to have a decent chance of staying out of the bottom three. It's not a totally impossible task but there's not much leeway for bad mistakes in recruitment etc.

If/when we go up we'll need as a group of fans to get in the mindset of being a medium sized fish in a big pond rather than the big fish in a small pond that we are in League 1. There'll be a few tough Saturday afternoons and Tuesday nights while we earn the right to stay in the Championship. Once we've done that we'll have to earn the right to get our heads up and wonder what might be beyond the horizon.

16 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

We went a few years ago. Mrs didn't fancy it, but I thought it was fine.

8 times to see a fella in 2 years. Not sure your problem Will be an issue for Whitt an ex GERMAN