Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

School Holidays

royal white

First day of the school holidays today, my eldest (9) was out of the door on his BMX at 8 bells knocking his other gang mates up to finish off their den, oh to be that age again. 6 year old wants to play with them but can’t keep up on his bike so he’s kicking off. Baby is on his 3rd Nappy change. 

Can’t wait to get back in work next week. 

• Site Supporter
38 minutes ago, royal white said:

First day of the school holidays today, my eldest (9) was out of the door on his BMX at 8 bells knocking his other gang mates up to finish off their den, oh to be that age again. 6 year old wants to play with them but can’t keep up on his bike so he’s kicking off. Baby is on his 3rd Nappy change. 

👏

Was brilliant. You had forever- mass games of footy on the grass at the end of the street. Making jumps to ride your bike over, and the odd trip to the baths followed by a visit to the chippy on the way home.

Never seemed stupidly hot, but no prolonged wet spells.

28 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

👏

Was brilliant. You had forever- mass games of footy on the grass at the end of the street. Making jumps to ride your bike over, and the odd trip to the baths followed by a visit to the chippy on the way home.

Never seemed stupidly hot, but no prolonged wet spells.

Great aint it, I’m lucky that my lads love the outdoor life, they love getting filthy and doing what kids should be doing it’s good they have a few mates on the street who are similar, couldn’t think of anything worse with them being sat in all day playing on the PlayStations 

• Members
2 hours ago, royal white said:

That's great to read.  Sounds like school holidays when I was a kid, rather than nowadays where you hear less and less of kids doing stuff like that.

Not sure whether that's down to kids now being lazy little cunts or parents being petrified of letting them out of their sights because armies of paedos are roaming the streets.  Probably a bit of both.

My folks were both teachers so the friday we finished, we'd head down to Dover and then spent 6 weeks around Europe.

Only mates I spent time with we're friends I met whilst away (almost all kids with teacher's as parents) Always ran out of books by the end of week two, so then had to nick whatever my folks or the rest of the family was reading. Mum was finishing her degree one year - was that bored read Jude the Obscure and Mill on the Floss. This sort of stuff has stood me in good stead, but there were times it as massively dull.

I also realise how spolit that makes me sound.

Edited by Not in Crawley

2 hours ago, royal white said:

Proper refreshing to read. Just how it should be.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

My folks were both teachers so the friday we finished, we'd head down to Dover and then spent 6 weeks around Europe.

Only mates I spent time with we're friends I met whilst away (almost all kids with teacher's as parents) Always ran out of books by the end of week two, so then had to nick whatever my folks or the rest of the family was reading. Mum was finishing her degree one year - was that bored read Jude the Obscure and Mill on the Floss. This sort of stuff has stood me in good stead, but there were times it as massively dull.

Sounds a right hoot :)

10 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Sounds a right hoot :)

To be honest, I got to see some of the most amazing parts of the continent, pool everyday, visited and saw places I'd never have got to and all before I was 16.

Be a massive prick if I complained about my mum and dad taking me away from the delights of Bolton for 6 weeks to have amazing summer holidays.

Driving to work on Monday morning about 7:45am, saw a group of about 6 lads, teenagers, walking down to the baths (I'm presuming baths as they had a little bag each).

Tickled me when they started taking the piss out of some other kids who were waiting for the bus to take them to school, possibly Canon Slade lot....

4 hours ago, Not in Crawley said:

What did you do during Bolton Holiday fortnight? Maldives, Bermuda? 
Christmas in St Moritz? 

40 minutes ago, BobyBrno said:

What did you do during Bolton Holiday fortnight? Maldives, Bermuda? 
Christmas in St Moritz? 

They were teachers, not bankers - it was 6 weeks because we went touring with a Caravan. It wasn't as though we were jet-setting. Think Volvo, an Abbey Stafford and a two man pup tent for your truly.

Bolton holidays was the Lakes/Dales or nothing to save up for summer.

27 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

They were teachers, not bankers - it was 6 weeks because we went touring with a Caravan. It wasn't as though we were jet-setting. Think Volvo, an Abbey Stafford and a two man pup tent for your truly.

We didn’t have a car. I have a Volvo now though. 1 week in Rhyl every two years. My Mum worked in a chippy Dad in a factory. He didn’t own it though.😉That’s Working Class.😊 

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Abbey Stafford were the posh ones  iirc..