Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Keith Hill

gonzo

1 hour ago, bwfcfan5 said:

See I don't get this. We don't have to employ people just because they played for us. Which academy has been more successful?

I would say huge questions about our youth development in the past two decades. Not saying it was a failure - you need a full context for that. But certainly in terms of output I don't think it has come close to what was expected of it.

Totally agree that without context it's difficult to assess how well the academy has done in recent years, but we did get fees and playing time out of Vela, Holden and Clough and a few bits and bobs from others so despite not knowing the full cost of the academy I'd guess it's probably washed it's face financially.

Difficult seeing as a handful of clubs mop up all the best youth prospects whilst they're still in the womb.

2 minutes ago, Hoppy510 said:

Totally agree that without context it's difficult to assess how well the academy has done in recent years, but we did get fees and playing time out of Vela, Holden and Clough and a few bits and bobs from others so despite not knowing the full cost of the academy I'd guess it's probably washed it's face financially.

Difficult seeing as a handful of clubs mop up all the best youth prospects whilst they're still in the womb.

If a Championship club brings through an England under 21 centre half who is good enough for Arsenal, it should pay for all academy costs for 5 years, but Ken undersold Holding

2 hours ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

If a Championship club brings through an England under 21 centre half who is good enough for Arsenal, it should pay for all academy costs for 5 years, but Ken undersold Holding

Absolutely. He was playing in the Europa League (and scored) within minutes of leaving us and didn't look out of place. He's won the FA Cup and Community Shield too. We might have got a bit more from add-ons if he hadn't done his ACL though. Even so, it was about £5 million short.

• Site Supporter
On 02/09/2019 at 11:59, ErnestTurnip said:

I posted some stuff up a few months ago on this but no idea what thread it was in.

BWFC academy is very good. Ranks really high in the county on what ever they are benchmarked on. EPPP? Which i do believe i player productivity.

OK, they make not be top level multi-million pound player but they are league players.

We have lost 3 over the summer havent we to premier league clubs?

Edited by HomerJay

• Site Supporter

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/bolton-wanderers-academy-celebrates-productivity-success/

2nd in the county

Bolton Wanderers are delighted to announce that the club’s academy has been ranked top of the standings in terms of productivity out of the 72 English Football League sides and second out of all 92 EFL and Premier League clubs.

tonight my lad signs for burnley. i have the forms in front of me... i may try and talk him out of it on the way down later... :(

Edited by HomerJay

And yet we have the lowest representation ever of youth and home grown players in our first team (prior to this season)

Last season we had 1 in Luca connell.

Pritchard isn’t homegrown and even then he barely played.

brockbank only came in at the end of the season for 2 or 3 games.

Don't like quoting myself but here was the info:

Posted March 6

Sorry for another long post, I seem to be trying to take up the slack that Sluffy has temporarily left.

Our academy getting mentioned in this thread and the way Brentford run their set up being mentioned somewhere else got me wondering if we know how much it costs us to run it and if it is actually worth doing ? We've had the two obvious ones who got sold, Vela, and there's the likes of maybe Connell/Turner/Politic currently who may or may not make it.

I don't know the figures and the gut feeling is that you should always have one to bring your own lads through to the first team or make them saleable assets but I had a quick search and it appears that although academies get audited that data is kept private.

We have this news from the club website on 7th March 2018 saying we were ranked 2nd in the whole 92 in terms of productivity for season 2013/2014 - 2016/2017:

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/bolton-wanderers-academy-celebrates-productivity-success/

Then there's this article that gives us the figures for 2016/2017 showing us as 24th :

https://the72.co.uk/95878/top-10-most-productive-academy-set-ups-in-football-league/ - the link to the data is towards the bottom of the page or here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/s73sf44j08345af/Academies .JPG?dl=0

And then there's this for the 2017/2018 season showing us to be 31st :

http://trainingground.guru/articles/academy-productivity-rankings-2017/18

Obviously I can't vouch for any of the data in any of the 3 links but we have a bit of a feel good buzz about the academy as they do well in academy level cups and leagues but in reality that doesn't actually matter because that's not their primary goal - it could be a side effect but doesn't seem to be ?

The productivity rating would seem to cover us selling them on (early or not) and so although it might feel like we are putting decent investment into the youth is it actually doing us any good?

Like I said it "feels" the right thing the do and it also "feels" like they are doing a good job but if we've gone from 2nd to 31st then summat has gone wrong and gone wrong quickly, whether that is down to the current administration is another discussion.

58 minutes ago, HomerJay said:

2nd in the county

Bolton Wanderers are delighted to announce that the club’s academy has been ranked top of the standings in terms of productivity out of the 72 English Football League sides and second out of all 92 EFL and Premier League clubs.

tonight my lad signs for burnley. i have the forms in front of me... i may try and talk him out of it on the way down later... :(

burnley have a great setup don't they?

Lad i know, he's lad is there and doing fantastic

my godson has also just been invited down