Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Blackpool

paulhanley

7 hours ago, Rizlar said:

Same here never seen us win !

We've won three times at Old Trafford and seven times at Ewood since we last won at Bloomfield. They've not won at ours since 86. I hope preserve that home record against them but I'd love us to win there. For me it's on level pegging with hoping we smash Wigan twice.

10 hours ago, Lostock Whites said:

1953 The Stanley Mathews final, the only trophy they've ever won. Our beef with them goes a long time back!

Unlike Wigan...

Even then we were ahead until injuries to 2 players. Plus, it should be the Mortensen final if it has to be mentioned.

14 hours ago, Barnstoneworth White said:

I remember it because I was watching the World of Sport and Dickie Davies announced it on live TV that there'd been a fatality at the game.  Very sad.

Same here, I think they locked the fans in the ground iirc. 

14 hours ago, Duck Egg said:

Cover up? Really? Jimmy Armfield apologised on behalf of the club that night didn't he? 

Blackpool was my first ever away game, about 1976/77. We lost 0-1. I've been there for several league games since plus league cup, sherpa van, fa Cup and even pre season friendlies. We've not won any of em. 

Everybody in Bolton knew who did it. Plenty still know now.

The lad was interviewed by police and admitted it but without his parents or a solicitor present. Story changed afterwards.

The club may have apologised but the fact our lot carried on going there and causing havoc made the feeling even worst.

Spoke about a lot on here but my old man moved to Blackpool not long after. Had to shift his accent pretty sharpish out around town.

I grew up with it all still pretty fresh in people's minds. Not just a footy thing, the name of Bolton was mud in town for ages.

Obviously a lot of that has gone now but amongst their older lot its still there as Im sure it would be for us. We still harp on about our open top bus getting tomatoes chucked at in 1958 ffs :D

Their younget lot latched on it as you'd expect.

That walshy fella whips a lot up about it on twitter. He held Kevin Olsen as he died apparently.

4 minutes ago, gonzo said:

The lad was interviewed by police and admitted it but without his parents or a solicitor present. Story changed afterwards.

The club may have apologised but the fact our lot carried on going there and causing havoc made the feeling even worst.

Spoke about a lot on here but my old man moved to Blackpool not long after. Had to shift his accent pretty sharpish out around town.

I grew up with it all still pretty fresh in people's minds. Not just a footy thing, the name of Bolton was mud in town for ages.

Obviously a lot of that has gone now but amongst their older lot its still there as Im sure it would be for us. We still harp on about our open top bus getting tomatoes chucked at in 1958 ffs :D

That walshy fella whips a lot up about it on twitter. He held Kevin Olsen as he died apparently.

We're quite commonly referred to by them as "the murderers". As I said before we consistently appear as their second most hated team when surveys get done. Not playing them between 1993 and 2010 calmed it all a little bit but there's still an undercurrent. To me fixtures against them always feel different to the likes of Burnley, Preston, PNE. Just more awkward somehow.

They're always well up for the match when we play them and if we aren't the same (which we often haven't been) it's easy to come unstuck. Phil Parkinson knew the score when he took us to Bury in 2016 and we got our first league win there since the late 1920s. Hopefully Evatt's knowledge of all things Blackpool will mean we go in the Bloomfield Road fixture and do something similar. As a Bolton fan of longstanding a win there is definitely on a football related bucket list.

1 hour ago, Popeye doyle said:

Same here, I think they locked the fans in the ground iirc. 

They did, took us over an hour to get out. The guy who was charged  was found not guilty, so still never proven.

1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Bolton used to sing that awful song for years after about him rotting in his grace; sick bastards 

1 hour ago, woolli said:

They did, took us over an hour to get out. The guy who was charged  was found not guilty, so still never proven.

Everybody had to give a statement to police then we had to walk back to South Shore train station with gangs of Blackpool trying to pick off f loners

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

My old man says the police were pulling cars in at the lea gate pub on Blackpool Road on the way back. Pre M55 days obviously.

Yes I remember that , we went to my grandparents after the match ( they retired to Blackpool , dunno why so many Bolton people did that ) . We got pulled over by the police this would have been maybe 9 pm . Policeman shone my dad's  torch into back of my dad's van (well equipped those policemen back in the day ). I was sat in the back on cushions , we never did have a family saloon!!! Same day Alan Waldron broke his leg . Also very surreal moment a camel did a lap around the pitch , pre-match , advertising Blackpool zoo . Strange day . 

Edited by Nottm_Wanderer
Typo

33 minutes ago, Nottm_Wanderer said:

Yes I remember that , we went to my grandparents after the match ( they retired to Blackpool , dunno why so many Bolton people did that ) . 

Cleaner air. Loads of ex miners and the like came here to help with bronchitis and the likes.

7 hours ago, gonzo said:

Cleaner air. Loads of ex miners and the like came here to help with bronchitis and the likes.

Aye. My dads family tree is full of miners from Euxton and a fair few of them ended up on the Fylde coast

After their time but that miners convalescent home was a thing of beauty

13 hours ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Even then we were ahead until injuries to 2 players. Plus, it should be the Mortensen final if it has to be mentioned.

The 53 final really grated with my dad. Yes, it was the Mortenson final. In his eyes Matthews was a superb player but absolutely bottled it against our defenders in any game. To his dying day he said that they went out that day to take us out of the game, and did so, quite brutally according to him. I really should take time to try to watch it to see if he was right. He hated Blackpool. As a kid I always wanted to go to Blackpool on a weekend and we always ended up in Cleveleys, Bispham, Fleetwood. He wouldn’t step foot in Blackpool if he could help it 😀

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Aye. My dads family tree is full of miners from Euxton and a fair few of them ended up on the Fylde coast

After their time but that miners convalescent home was a thing of beauty

Got my first blowy off a lass called Leanne in the little tram shelter opposite there 👍

• Moderators
On 22/05/2023 at 07:48, gonzo said:

Got my first blowy off a lass called Leanne in the little tram shelter opposite there 👍

I imagine there were a lot of Leanne's giving out blow jobs in the 90s 

We had one at our school too