Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Racist or not?

Traf

• Site Supporter

I don't think it is racist as such to request only black people to attend this one night out of 29. But I also don't think it is especially helpful. That said I am not black and have never experienced racism. I wouldn’t be going regardless so it's not really much of a concern for me to be honest.

• Site Supporter
Just now, athywhite1958 said:

It is racist and divisive, if there was a white people only night there would  be uproar

It's not a 'black people only' night. You can still go and see the show if you want mate.

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

It's not a 'black people only' night. You can still go and see the show if you want mate.

Aye but come on mate. If there was a show that requested white folk only it would outrage across the globe.

Its a stupid thing to do.

• Members
2 minutes ago, Cheese said:

The hope is for it to be, though

It's only discrimination laws that are preventing the venue from explicitly making it an event solely for black people

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Aye but come on mate. If there was a show that requested white folk only it would outrage across the globe.

Its a stupid thing to do.

I get it's slightly dodgy ground, but there are massive historical and cultural reasons that means those 2 things aren't exact equivalents. The fact is, if you're a white person and you want to see the show, you can. Manufactured outrage as usual. Not going to bother commenting any further as nuance doesn't exist on here.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I get it's slightly dodgy ground, but there are massive historical and cultural reasons that means those 2 things aren't exact equivalents. The fact is, if you're a white person and you want to see the show, you can. Manufactured outrage as usual. Not going to bother commenting any further as nuance doesn't exist on here.

But it's surely not manufactured outrage if the venue's intention is for it to be an event open solely to black people?

It's that intention that people are reacting to

2 hours ago, Traf said:

Wasn't sure where to put this, so started a new thread.

Anyway, blackout night at the theatre is causing a bit of a kerfuffle.

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/black-out-theatre-royal-stratford-east-tambo-and-bones-white-audiences-b1082712.html

Bet this has been done to death in your office, @Not in Crawley

Can't say it has really, totally passed me by anyway.

• Moderators

If that's what they want then leave them to it 

I suspect anyone who wants to go any other night probably supports the idea anyway 

Some white gays should make a point of going that night though, or least protest outside

• Members
7 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

It is racist and divisive, if there was a white people only night there would  be uproar

Correct. Not only that but I would bet my left one that some of the people involved in organising or partaking in this were 'activists' in the anti apartheid movement.

Now they want to introduce a form of apartheid. As I have always said, the hypocrisy of the left is mindblowing.

• Site Supporter

There’s currently 2 black ladies arguing on breakfast telly and it sounds like something off Family Guy.

Im half expecting them to start throwing yams at each other in a minute