Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Lost at the bottom of The Atlantic

gonzo

13 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Still a couple of Chinese cockle pickers missing in the sea at Morecambe Bay from nearly 20 years ago, they will never be found again.

That's literally the first thing my Mrs told my 10 year old lad when we went a few weeks back in glorious sunshine at half term... The mountains of the lakes in the distance shimmering over the bay... Glorious Britain sunshine ... The shit of Morecambe behind us and out of mind... 

"loads of Chinese cockle pickers died in there because the tide came in too quick" 

Edited by stevieb

Might come across as a massive unsympathetic cunt here but meh

These billionaires. Can do anything they want. Anything that anyone on this earth wants to do. No worries about money. Just do it.

It’s like a club. What can I do that no-one else has done? Branson with his stupid fucking balloon. Musk with his space flights. This dick going too deep into the ocean. Just fuck off. It’s not big and it’s not clever

Back in the day, climbing Everest or reaching the North/South poles in a padded suit from Burtons and a nice pair of leather boots was ground breaking. It’s not now. It’s attention seeking clickbait shite

Maybe it needs summat like this to say to these folk to fuck off and stop being dicks

• Site Supporter

I have the same sympathy for them I'm afraid, as I have for the dicks that go

A)  Potholing in pumps, shorts and a tee shirt, and

A) Them that go climbing mountains in pumps, shorts a tee shirt.

Edited by FrancisFogarty

• Members
7 hours ago, gonzo said:

Im struggling to find a worse way to go.

Instantaneous death. Crushed to the size of an apple in a millisecond. Far better in my view than a slow and painful suffocation.

I wish I had been wrong. Most engineers in the world would have been thinking the same way I suspect. Most bathyscaphes have been spherical for as long as they have been around. Jacques Cousteau, various other ocean explorers and even Jules Verne used or alluded to spherical design for very good reasons.

Blows my mind that in these days of nanny state interference in almost every walk of life that someone could operate a machine which has not undergone come sort of design analysis and certification.

The wreck of the Titanic is a poignant chapter in British maritime history and it is linked to Bolton

If you stroll up Blackburn road from the Bay Mare there is a stone terrace of shops and on the last house is a blue plaque.

It states 

The childhood residence pf Sir Arthur Rostron Captain of the SS Carpathia who sailed to rescue the survivors of the RMS Titanic on Monday 15th April 1912

2 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

The wreck of the Titanic is a poignant chapter in British maritime history and it is linked to Bolton

If you stroll up Blackburn road from the Bay Mare there is a stone terrace of shops and on the last house is a blue plaque.

It states 

The childhood residence pf Sir Arthur Rostron Captain of the SS Carpathia who sailed to rescue the survivors of the RMS Titanic on Monday 15th April 1912

Interesting story, I’ve just read up on him, seems like a bit of a legend. 

9 hours ago, Cheese said:

Male Anglerfish are tiny compared to females. They reproduce by attaching to the female like a parasite. They hardly even have a cock to laugh off.

img_9013.jpg?w=723

Surely she'd be better off having a glow in the dark male attached on the end of that "rod" so he'd be trapped into permanently spending his time providing the food and just every so often bend round for a shag when she was up for it. Evolution missed a trick there; works for humans after all. 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, SatanGreavsie said:

Surely she'd be better off having a glow in the dark male attached on the end of that "rod" so he'd be trapped into permanently spending his time providing the food and just every so often bend round for a shag when she was up for it. Evolution missed a trick there; works for humans after all. 

You’ve just described my wife 

7 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Instantaneous death. Crushed to the size of an apple in a millisecond. Far better in my view than a slow and painful suffocation.

Well when you read about this deep sea incident Byford Dolphin - Wikipedia you realise what pressure change can do. That one was in the opposite direction  - high to low pressure - but was only a 9 atmosphere difference, not 400. As you say, they couldn't have known what hit them.

5 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

It states 

there is a Blue Plaque in Horwich

a boiler man lived there who went down with it 

5 hours ago, crawshawbooth said:

It states 

I think loads of places have a link. Five mins walk fom our house there's a blue plaque for Harold Bride - the wireless operator on the Titanic. And he survived...

https://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/17421401.harold-bride---shortlands-boy-became-hero-titanic-disaster/

• Site Supporter
8 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Blows my mind that in these days of nanny state interference in almost every walk of life that someone could operate a machine which has not undergone come sort of design analysis and certification.

🙃

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Might come across as a massive unsympathetic cunt here but meh

These billionaires. Can do anything they want. Anything that anyone on this earth wants to do. No worries about money. Just do it.

It’s like a club. What can I do that no-one else has done? Branson with his stupid fucking balloon. Musk with his space flights. This dick going too deep into the ocean. Just fuck off. It’s not big and it’s not clever

Back in the day, climbing Everest or reaching the North/South poles in a padded suit from Burtons and a nice pair of leather boots was ground breaking. It’s not now. It’s attention seeking clickbait shite

Maybe it needs summat like this to say to these folk to fuck off and stop being dicks

There is no doubt that unnecessary corners were cut.

Black box type instruments etc could all have been included. 

At the same time, a former partner in the business has said significant engineering and testing went into the creation of the sub.

Can't understand why they wouldn't get it approved as sea worthy etc, but on the other hand, I think it is vital that those with an exploratory mind aren't totally hamstrung in their activities.

NASA went to the moon in a can with less computing power than a phone, explorers discovered new continents etc.

Demonising a rich person for wanting to push boundaries benefits no one.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

At the same time, a former partner in the business has said significant engineering and testing went into the creation of the sub.

Can't understand why they wouldn't get it approved as sea worthy etc, but on the other hand, I think it is vital that those with an exploratory mind aren't totally hamstrung in their activities.

NASA went to the moon in a can with less computing power than a phone, explorers discovered new continents etc.

Don’t disagree about the exploration bit. We need folk who’ll take risks.

But

This was just a chance for rich folk to have a gawp at a mass grave. I’m not sure any exploring or new frontiers we’re going to be discovered from a few hours just pointing at a rusty owd ship.

At least it was quick. The other option was horrific.

13 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Not even comparable, given the mutli agency work and testing that went into the both the Mercury and Apollo missions.

7 hours ago, royal white said:

The amount of hate aimed at those on the sub on social media because they’re rich is bizarre 

True this, very strange 

Can see why folk find it unfair how much media attention this gets compared to the migrant boat deaths, but I guess the latter has just sadly become normalised. When it first started getting really bad the media were heavily reporting it.

• Site Supporter

They were on about recovering the bodies earlier on the news.

There won't be any. That amount of pressure will have turned them to liquid.

#Here's what happens under that amount of pressure to a human body: 

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Spider said:

They were on about recovering the bodies earlier on the news.

There won't be any. That amount of pressure will have turned them to liquid.

#Here's what happens under that amount of pressure to a human body: 

And that's at 10 Atmospheres of Pressure. Titan was at 400.