Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Trevor Francis

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Fckg Hell. Horwich ... he was from Horwich. From Rockhaven Ave.

I always thought Chorley. The Doctor says Horwich. Wiki says born Farnworth (probably Townleys/Royal Bolton like a lot of us). Lived in Autumn St, Horwich. Wherever that was.

Looks like he played for Chorley before the bright lights of Plymouth lured him away from Lancashire.

Edited by Underpants

Francis was a class act. He broke my heart twice in a Forest shirt.  A last minute equaliser against us at the City Ground when we were about to become the first team to beat them there in ages. And an extra time winner at Burnden when we upset the odds with a 3-3 draw in the 1st game.

1 hour ago, Duck Egg said:

Francis was a class act. He broke my heart twice in a Forest shirt.  A last minute equaliser against us at the City Ground when we were about to become the first team to beat them there in ages. And an extra time winner at Burnden when we upset the odds with a 3-3 draw in the 1st game.

When doing tv interview after the 1-0 win at Burnden in which he scored the only goal, the commentator said something like ‘that was a big relief getting through a tight game’ Trevor replied that the big relief for him was that Gerry McCleneny wasn’t still stood at the back of him.

Top Bloke TF.

4 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Remember the goal in Europe. Good header to beat Malmo.

Yeh, you could really appreciate the achievement in winning that and I remember being chuffed for them. Course, having a genius managing them helped. Main thing I remember about him being the first £1M transfer was City then paying 1.5 for Steve Daley, just to say they could. Biggest waste of money ever; must be equivalent to £10M now, which is not shabby even in this day and age. And he did nowt. TM did the bizzo at least.

RIP cockers

4 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Yeah is there anyone from Bolton who wasn't born at Farnworth General?

I assume there are plenty - my mum was born at Havercroft Maternity Home on Victoria Road. There was another maternity home on Chorley New Road too