Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wigan (H)

desperado

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, desperado said:

I actually think we might have this already. Like you say not a thug, I think that’s the last thing this side needs.

Midfielders who are physically strong, communicate, make themselves seen and heard, leaders on the pitch. Thomason, for me, definitely does this. 

And while I’m not definite, I think early signs are that Maghoma has something about him. He was certainly telling and showing other players what to do in the 2nd half and leading by example. 

Agree. Young lad doing the talking and pointing at times last season.

Maghoma looks a good runner from midfield, not sure about his battling skills yet as he's hardly played. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Cheese said:

We're still joint top of the league ffs.

Genuine question: after Saturday do you think we have enough to stay there?

Don't think so myself. 

Chasing a top 2 spot, and as things stand I'm not convinced we quite have it right. We may have the personnel to do it, or may need one or two in.

Not sure we've advanced enough yet to be able to compete with the very best.

2 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't think so myself. 

Chasing a top 2 spot, and as things stand I'm not convinced we quite have it right. We may have the personnel to do it, or may need one or two in.

Too early to be making predictions will know more around Xmas time. 

9 minutes ago, Ani said:

Dion comes in, Vics record at Burton means he starts. Midfield is the dilemma with GT and Magahomes pushing for starts can see changes. Would not change the defence.

CMG is odd one, shown glimpses but I am not sure how he fits into our system anymore than Dapo did.

Both were yellows, given Humphrey got one second half it was a piss take. 

If a Bolton player had made those tackles the pie eaters would have weighed in, surrounding the ref and pushing the culprit etc, we just let it ride. The referee would have had to react. I don't understand why we don't do it.

10 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't think so myself. 

I mentioned the other day saving grace is that this season won’t be anywhere near the standard of last

5 minutes ago, nantwichwhite said:

If a Bolton player had made those tackles the pie eaters would have weighed in, surrounding the ref and pushing the culprit etc, we just let it ride. The referee would have had to react. I don't understand why we don't do it.

That for me is why we need at least one midfield bastard, and in all honesty one or two other bastards through the team. We looked timid on Sat, as we did a fair few times last season. Charles gets kicked and shoved from pillar to post but none of ours are in the refs face about it, nibbling away, getting in his head. Likes of Barnsley and Plymouth were masters of it against us, as they were with other aspects of 'managing the game' 

31 minutes ago, desperado said:

I actually think we might have this already. Like you say not a thug, I think that’s the last thing this side needs.

Midfielders who are physically strong, communicate, make themselves seen and heard, leaders on the pitch. Thomason, for me, definitely does this. 

And while I’m not definite, I think early signs are that Maghoma has something about him. He was certainly telling and showing other players what to do in the 2nd half and leading by example. 

I actually put in that GT might become that player but at the moment is a bit inexperienced. But thought I had wittered on enough 😂😎

Ironically one of the traits of my ideal midfield bastard is just being on the right side of the line gets away with bookings whereas GT seems to pick them up early in games. 

Thing is with Wigan it’s a long season and they only have a small squad a couple of injuries to key players they could struggle but saying that the squad have the mentality of us against the rest as they started with minus 8 which will drive them on.

Lots of talk about when we had tough midfields/tough squads. Correct and honorouble mentions for Todd's 96/7 side (Frandsen, Taggart, Fairclough, Pollock, Bergsson, A Todd). Even mentions for Pratley, Spearing, Karl Henry, Gary O'Neill and a few others from the 2010-2020 period. 

Should just give a wee mention to the midfield BSA had at the turn of the century. Frandsen was there but he converted Paul Warhurst and Robbie Elliott in to central midfielders and there was Passi and Farrelly in the background. That midfield had resilience and put its foot in. I wish we had one or two like that in this current side.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fair enough.

I don't share the view of others that Wigan will definitely fade.

The likes of Derby, Peterborough and Portsmouth will still be a threat, so we have to improve the results against the very top.

I don't think Wigan will faid either. I wouldn't be at all suprised if they finish in the top 6, and I don't care if they do. The only competition we have with them from now until the end of the season is 1 match for 3 points. Forget about them.

Wigan could still lose one of their highly paid forwards if someone comes in before the window closes. Though  I'd be surprised if anyone came in for Wyke given his health issues. Add to that their small squad. 

They play above themselves at our place as has been said many times. Let's not forget they drew at Carlisle in midweek. 

Time to move on from them until we go to theirs. 

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I don't think Wigan will faid either. I wouldn't be at all suprised if they finish in the top 6, and I don't care if they do. The only competition we have with them from now until the end of the season is 1 match for 3 points. Forget about them.

Can't forget about them, as they may well be challenging for a top 2 place. Which is my point, if we want automatic promotion,  we have to earn more points against those who also have a similar ambition.

Not arsed about Wigan's season unless they knock us from Autos into Playoffs, or something similar.

Still think we have more than enough to go up automatically but players need to get that last match out of their heads, or alternatively use it as some fire in their bellies.

Can't afford too many more of those performances. I thought we'd put that shit behind us. Every team has a blip through the season, let's hope that's our worst one. Hopefully teams going aggressive and physical on us isn't a weak spot for us, otherwise it's gonna the be same issues as last season that will be our downfall

Although I haven't got too down about that one match. In general, it has kind of dampened my hopes for the season a bit.

Beating Burton wouldn't feel that good after Saturday's performance. If we'd lost 1-0 or something then I'd still feel pretty hyped to beat Burton and keep the ball rolling on our season.

But a defeat so damaging feels like it will need a decent string of positive performances to put right and quell some fears. As now I'm sure there's doubts in the minds of many Wanderers if we have what it takes. As I said before, I think we still do but there's a lot of questions to be answered. On the pitch and possibly in the transfer window over the next week.

1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Don't think so myself. 

The thing I don’t understand is that people seem to think Wigan are a top team at this level.

Sure we made them look like one but they’re not. Nothing like as strong as when they blitzed us by 4 the last time.

They were 7/2 to win on Saturday.

That was a similar price to what Lincoln were on the first day of the season.

Derby will be half that price but what a game that would be to show everyone that we’re a serious force this season.

As we know it’s just the type of game we never win but I personally think it’s just the sort of team we want here next. 

Edited by captainmed

53 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Fair enough.

I don't share the view of others that Wigan will definitely fade.

The likes of Derby, Peterborough and Portsmouth will still be a threat, so we have to improve the results against the very top.

Derby have been awful this year. Portsmouth drew to Cheltenham? A team who we played off park? We lost 3 point’s Saturday. Time to move on. We got one of best managers in league. Our squad is decent and should challenge. Time to stop worrying about Wigan and start backing our team. 

• Members
11 minutes ago, captainmed said:

The thing I don’t understand is that people seem to think Wigan are a top team at this level.

Sure we made them look like one but they’re not. Nothing like as strong as when they blitzed us by 4 the last time.

They were 7/2 to win on Saturday.

That was a similar price to what Lincoln were on the first day of the season.

Derby will be half that price but what a game that would be to show everyone that we’re a serious force this season.

As we know it’s just the type of game we never win but I personally think it’s just the sort of team we want here next. 

They're unbeaten and would currently be top of the league without the points deduction

I think the lack of squad depth will do for them though

10 minutes ago, true white said:

Derby have been awful this year. Portsmouth drew to Cheltenham? A team who we played off park? We lost 3 point’s Saturday. Time to move on. We got one of best managers in league. Our squad is decent and should challenge. Time to stop worrying about Wigan and start backing our team. 

It is time to move on, been like a wake.