Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northampton H

DomRepWanderer

59 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I saw us there in the mid to late 80s. We won 1-0 and my recollection is Tomo scoring but I could be wrong. I’m not wrong about it being bloody freezing on that open terrace. Cricket pitch to our left and zero atmosphere. Nicky Brookman scored the winner in the home game.  Both games were typical of much of that era, small crowds, dull matches and a total lack of glamour or excitement!

Yeah, they left there in 1996. 

Google Sixfield's Stadium.

• The topic was pinned
On 17/10/2023 at 19:28, Rizlar said:

Must win no excuses ! 

There really are no excuses. Rico and others back from injury, two weeks preparation and a motivational rocket up our arses from the last game.

Expecting a dominant performance and a comprehensive victory - anything less would be disastrous.

5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

There really are no excuses. Rico and others back from injury, two weeks preparation and a motivational rocket up our arses from the last game.

Expecting a dominant performance and a comprehensive victory - anything less would be disastrous.

Winning 1-0 would not be disastrous. 

Winning is all that matters. 

5 hours ago, Wanderlust said:

Hopefully the team tips out for this one playing like we did early doors this season.

The disciplinary thing and the shite standard of refs is a concern you don't know if we'll have 11 on the pitch 20 minutes in or half the defence booked.

Here's hoping it goes to plan and we get back to something like we expect and regain some momentum. 

Angry last time out. Evatt has done enough last three seasons for a bit of leeway.  For me that is now played out

Will back him Saturday and always the team when playing

No more excuses with players returning. Hope we kick on because this league is really shite

Still think we are easy to play against and Evatt only plays one way, but hey ho fresh start

Hard to estimate what standard Northampton will be.  Carlisle were extremely average but iffy pens, OGs, deflected flukey goals and sendings off change games, so there won't be any predictions from me on how many of those will occur on Saturday.

Northampton have only conceded 4 away, yet to concede a goal before the 72nd minute and haven't been behind before the 80th minute away.  We don't score late as a rule so it could be a long 100 minutes if we don't score earlyish.  After Saturday they will have played 8 of the top half (we've played 2 of the top 10), so their current league position probably isn't a true indicator.

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Hard to estimate what standard Northampton will be.  Carlisle were extremely average but iffy pens, OGs, deflected flukey goals and sendings off change games, so there won't be any predictions from me on how many of those will occur on Saturday.

Northampton have only conceded 4 away, yet to concede a goal before the 72nd minute and haven't been behind before the 80th minute away.  We don't score late as a rule so it could be a long 100 minutes if we don't score earlyish.  After Saturday they will have played 8 of the top half (we've played 2 of the top 10), so their current league position probably isn't a true indicator.

Definitely not a true indicator IMO - they have a superb defensive record and even with captain Guthrie missing with injury only lost by a last minute single goal last time out having dominated the game and missed a penalty themselves. Guthrie may still be out but we'll have to wait and see. Their forwards aren't bad either but IF we play to our potential we should have enough.

6 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Again, Evatt has support & points in the bag but lose this & that'll wearing very thin.

He ain’t got many….

If we don’t win this (which I think we will btw) and with the next 3 on the road we could be in trouble.

We’ve conceded 12 goals in our first 7 home games which is poor. 

I just don’t know what to expect these days. Sadly I never feel confident of a win even though I’m anticipating one because we just don’t seem to build up any tempo to get on top of teams, it’s all slow, slow, stand on the ball then sideways which just doesn’t get us forward. If we could just speed it up a bit I’m sure we’d be better and maybe catch teams on the break instead of letting them get all their men back in place. We blame the strikers but in fairness they don’t get any space. I just don’t see anything changing at the moment so I’m fearing a similar outcome as against Carlisle and if that happens then Ian really does have to think again about his system because excuses won’t cut it.