Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Leyton Orient (H)

freds dad

16 hours ago, captainmed said:

Ive always associate these with awful followings at Burnden Park whilst in the lower leagues. 

Wierdly, I associate Orient with the only league game that we've won at home in last 40 years that I've missed.

I was in Ibiza and missed Orient (1-0) and Swansea (1-1) both at home 87-88 in Div 4.  Tomo scored one of the goals, I had to wait for the papers to appear over a day later to find out the results.  Not sure if I've seen Orient since, didn't go to the cup game.

13 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was in Ibiza and missed Orient (1-0) and Swansea (1-1) both at home 87-88 in Div 4.  Tomo scored one of the goals, I had to wait for the papers to appear over a day later to find out the results.  Not sure if I've seen Orient since, didn't go to the cup game.

Used to love being on holiday and not finding out football results until a day or so later in the paper. Usually only pre season ones during family summer holidays, but it was still exciting.

7 minutes ago, Marc505 said:

Used to love being on holiday and not finding out football results until a day or so later in the paper. Usually only pre season ones during family summer holidays, but it was still exciting.

Impossible to replicate the tension of going to buy the paper, opening it from the back, and looking for the results knowing there would be minimum details in small font.  Bolton 1 Orient 0 (Thompson) H-T 0-0.  And that was enough to make that particular day of the holiday the best of the week.  I also had Newport 0 Bolton 1 (Elliott) the same week, buzzin!  I remember those games more than many I've attended, purely for the drama of not being able to follow the games as they happened. 

• Site Supporter

1984- I was 16 and got a Saturday job at Woolies meaning I couldn't go the match for the first time since 1977. Used to finish at 6.00pm then run to Moor Lane to buy The Buff. Results were always on back page but I forced myself not to check until I got on the 582 bus which were every 10 mins, ran up to upper deck front seat before bracing myself to check Div 3 scores. Needless to say I was not happy most weeks.

Always used to like Orient's kit in the late 70s

3 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Worth watching a city mauling, for a Speed pen. What a day.

Sure Richard Dunne was on the pay roll at ours used to smash them in his own net for fun and then there's that penalty I'd forgotten about.

Paid some local kid couple of quid watch my car that day in Gorton. Came back to a ticket on my car as it was a residents only bit but hey we'd scabbed the win so it didn't feel so bad

23 minutes ago, Alf Hartigan said:

1984- I was 16 and got a Saturday job at Woolies meaning I couldn't go the match for the first time since 1977. Used to finish at 6.00pm then run to Moor Lane to buy The Buff. Results were always on back page but I forced myself not to check until I got on the 582 bus which were every 10 mins, ran up to upper deck front seat before bracing myself to check Div 3 scores. Needless to say I was not happy most weeks.

Always used to like Orient's kit in the late 70s

I often got the 582 to and from the match, got off at Punch Bowl.

Did the Buff even have final scores?  I used to get the Pink for those.  It always quoted totally made up attendances rounded to the nearest 1,000.

• Site Supporter
8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Did the Buff even have final scores?  I used to get the Pink for those.  It always quoted totally made up attendances rounded to the nearest 1,000.

Yes The Buff had final scores.

5 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

Better than the Gary Speed penalty vs City?

Same but for different reasons. The first was 90 mins of utter frustration. Seem to remember their fans bouncing like they had scored after winning a throw in in our half.

The City game was 90 mins of highway robbery, they hit the woodwork 6 times and Jussi made some unbelievable saves. We should have worn black masks for that one. 

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Impossible to replicate the tension of going to buy the paper, opening it from the back, and looking for the results knowing there would be minimum details in small font.  Bolton 1 Orient 0 (Thompson) H-T 0-0.  And that was enough to make that particular day of the holiday the best of the week.  I also had Newport 0 Bolton 1 (Elliott) the same week, buzzin!  I remember those games more than many I've attended, purely for the drama of not being able to follow the games as they happened. 

Not that I buy papers anymore but do people still read it front to back ? Dont think Ive ever done that. 

• Site Supporter
3 hours ago, Alf Hartigan said:

Yes The Buff had final scores.

Sometimes even the correct ones.
The paper was already printed but at home games there was a van on the car park that just added the final scores in the ‘stop press’ column as I recall.

Edited by FrancisFogarty
New shit.

8 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Wierdly, I associate Orient with the only league game that we've won at home in last 40 years that I've missed.

Seem to remember the Swansea 1-1 being a last minute equaliser for us? Not looked back.

Had my first ever 33/1 winner that day.

Remember watching it in the bookies opposite Burnden before the game.

9 hours ago, Marc505 said:

My Dad used to ring home from the phone box next to Santiago 3 :D

....remember us finding out we'd beat Wolves in the cup and jumping about in the street.

Straight to Lancashire Pride for another pint and fanta lemon.

30 minutes ago, gonzo said:

My Dad used to ring home from the phone box next to Santiago 3 :D

....remember us finding out we'd beat Wolves in the cup and jumping about in the street.

Straight to Lancashire Pride for another pint and fanta lemon.

Ham and cheese toastie, Fanta limon and a copy of yesterday's Sun scouring transfer rumours. The life 😃

6 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I couldn’t believe it as it happened and I still can’t believe it watching it now. What an absolutely incredible game that was and just proves again that the best team doesn’t always win!! 😁

I was in corporate but it was weird because we sat with the City fans - weird game with being battered for 89 minutes and getting the win

I went on holiday on the day of the Leicester 5-0. Someone said to us in the airport that we were three up but didn’t buy it until the paper the next day had “Bolton Wonderers” across the back page. Was away for a fortnight so missed the 1-0 win v Leicester and 2-1 v Liverpool. Top of the league and I’d missed the bloody lot!

17 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

I went on holiday on the day of the Leicester 5-0. Someone said to us in the airport that we were three up but didn’t buy it until the paper the next day had “Bolton Wonderers” across the back page. Was away for a fortnight so missed the 1-0 win v Leicester and 2-1 v Liverpool. Top of the league and I’d missed the bloody lot!

I missed the 0-5 as on holiday as well, kept getting messages on my phone 

My mates went and said it was a bit lively on the train station afterwards 😃

15 hours ago, Johnnyrotten said:

We used to get off at the Punch and go in Snapes newsagents to wait for the Buff and Pink, the owner Keith (RIP) used to ask us if we wanted anything to read 'from under the counter' nudge, nudge