Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Charlton (H)

Ani

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Oh right fair enough, I thought you meant he'd look for a championship job.

IMO he's here for next season minimum even if we lose every game between now and end of season.

Absolutely JR, I really can’t understand some of these people who say IE should go if we don’t go up. I can’t think of anyone better to come in here and do close to what Evatt’s doing. He’s by no means perfect but he’s done a tremendous job up to now and will I’m sure see the job through if not this year then next. I know we’re all frustrated after recent results but it’s still in our own hands and a win on Tuesday puts us right back in the driving seat and with key players coming back.

3 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s amazing how quickly folk forget how much hard work has been put in by Evatt and his team since he came here and how far the team and squad has come, replace him and get the wrong manager and back room team in its amazing how quickly things can unravel and implode. It would be utter madness to get rid of Evatt.

Absolutely 💯

40 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

How we set up to defend corners is baffling. They were leaving two back, had two on the corner routine, one outside box, yet we had every outfield player in the 6 yard box. If we half clear it, player on edge of box has time to set his sights and hit it.  Surely one of ours should be between 6 yard box and penalty box as the charger. 

Such a big crowd scene doesn't particularly help the keeper nor is it a guarantee we'll clear our lines effectively. Some of our faffing and wafting feet at the ball in those situations in recent weeks has been woeful

Yeah it's not even the "leave men in attack to make them leave mean back" that we're talking about (which I actually think we should do), but it's the basic "push a few men out to edge of our box to avoid the immediate clear shot on goal".... It's baffling.

Compare that with the way Charlton defended corners, where they didn't leave a man up but they did have 2/3 players ready at the edge of the box to block any shot/counter attack if possible.

No doubt, statistical analysis will say packing 11 in the 6 years box reduces goals against, but if that's the case we must be executing it wrong as all evidence I've seen since Evatt has been here is we're weak defending corners

I would be gutted if we missed out on promotion and do not think we should, it would be a failure for Evatt, but the idea the best option would then be to dump him is IMO crazy. 

7 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Anyway, was Vic injured or was it purely tactical?

Tbf, he took his goal well.

No problem with how Vic played today, looked to be on his A game.  But Bod is always going to be an upgrade, if only for the fact that he wins headers. without taking into account other stuff.  Although he only seems to play well when the defenders are nackered 😀  But Vic certainly better today than Charles has been recently, the ball was sticking, scored one and had a good left footed shot for the 1st time in memory.

6 minutes ago, Steejay said:

He took his goal well and then had a 3min(?) purple patch till they scored where he also controlled a difficult cross in and got a left foot shot away that may have been goal bound, but was blocked.

Otherwise he was anonymous/bad. There was 1 point in the first half where he was back passed a decent chance by their defender, but lack of pace or touch meant it came to nothing - as in it just fizzled out and we ended up with a throw or something.

I don't want to sound like a broken record but the whole team looked better with Bod on in second half. Maybe they'd had a rocket and all upped their game but the ball just started sticking, which must help.

32 minutes ago, FrancisFogarty said:

Was that not the head injury? I apologise if it wasn’t but there was a lot going on in my defence.

No need to apologise, I think plenty thought the same. I had a good view of it and he was holding the back of his neck afterwards.

I'm sure if the ball was in the middle of the park he'd have stopped play, but with it bobbling around in the area it would've been grossly unfair on Charlton to halt play.

Despite JDC being on the floor we should've still been able to prevent the goal ... but today we opted not to defend well.

• Site Supporter
16 minutes ago, Steejay said:

Forced substitution, Poked in the eye during a goal front melee. Saw him go down inside the net area. 

IE stated the poked eye in post match interview. 

6 minutes ago, Stig said:

I don't want to sound like a broken record but the whole team looked better with Bod on in second half. Maybe they'd had a rocket and all upped their game but the ball just started sticking, which must help.

Bod not starting any league games this season (except to cover an injury crisis) - when he is one of the few players that looks a class above this league - really is one of the mysteries of this or any other BWFC season.  Up there with ALF on the left wing under Parky.

20 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

It’s amazing how quickly folk forget how much hard work has been put in by Evatt and his team since he came here and how far the team and squad has come, replace him and get the wrong manager and back room team in its amazing how quickly things can unravel and implode. It would be utter madness to get rid of Evatt.

Great Post 👍 

45 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Yes, good post.  I must admit I can hardly recall anything of the 1st half except the goals and being a bit bored, so I'll take your word for it.  In the 2nd half I was sat near where Jones was attacking and he was outstanding, not just on the ball but defending and leading.

I think we sit in the same area. Second half Jones was very good, whole right side worked nicely. First half I thought he wasn't giving the right option for Toal or Coleman and saw Evatt blast him a couple of times for it.

The best defender of the 3 for me was Iredale. I couldn't really see the 3rd goal so he may have been massively at fault but the number of times he kind of barged through the attacker to win the ball back rather than just holding position was amazing. Must have been about 6 or 7 possessions won back just through that

21 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Absolute sense you talk. 👍

I really can't fathom why folk even think it's a debate as to whether Evatt is safe in his seat. 

• Site Supporter
15 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

No problem with how Vic played today, looked to be on his A game.  But Bod is always going to be an upgrade, if only for the fact that he wins headers. without taking into account other stuff.  Although he only seems to play well when the defenders are nackered 😀  But Vic certainly better today than Charles has been recently, the ball was sticking, scored one and had a good left footed shot for the 1st time in memory.

Yeah, but I asked if he was injured?

1 minute ago, L/H White said:

How many goes would you give him to get us out of the league?

Given the continuous progress, as I see it, even if we (God forbid) lose in play offs again, he's enough credit in the bank for another go. 

I know, I'm a happy clapper 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, L/H White said:

How many goes would you give him to get us out of the league?

We're third, with 3 games in hand, a shoestring budget, an injury crisis as we've kept the squad small to keep us financially viable, and people are whinging.

Only thing i'm not happy about is that we're not developing our own as we should be doing.. 

24 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

I'd like nothing more than us to win promotion, playing the way we do, as vindication of Evatt's belief in it, in the face of alehouse tactics and piss poor refereeing. I really hope that happens.

If it doesn't though, no reason at all for Evatt to go (unless of course he accepts a better offer), though if rigidly sticking to a particular way of playing and construction of a squad around it hasn't brought promotion after two good goes (not counting first season back up), I'd like to be going into next season knowing he's had a reset and is prepared to adjust our approach / personnel so we are able to see off all types that we face in L1

Just now, DazBob said:

Except when it comes to Maghoma :)

Haha, I've seen his views on that. Hard to argue with that finish today. 

How'd you rate your flower waiting to bloom today Mount's? 😉