Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (A)

L/H White

• Moderators
4 hours ago, 1969 said:

After the Blackpool and Wigan games I was completely fucked off with the gutless performance's but today I thought we played well and with a bit of luck we would have taken the 3 points.Im still baffled by how poor Derby were but sometimes you don't get what you deserve 

That was pretty much the same as Wigan for me 

The better team, but just not clinical or creating enough for all the possession

Their first attempt on target goes in and we disappear

53 minutes ago, Stig said:

Collins would be great in a front 3 IMO.

This formation is hampering the team. We played well today but we just don't have enough going on up front by relying on Ogbeta and Cogley to do all the wide work. The number of times we played the little pass through to the wing backs for the cross and it came to nothing was ridiculous, and I guarantee if a more attacking player is in those positions we get more crosses in/more shots away. 

We're a bit hamstrung with options at the minute but I'd have tried a front 3 of Bod down the middle, Collins left, Dempsey right

The lack of quality from the wing is frustrating given how many times we get into good positions.  Not a criticism of the full backs, but compared to having Morais putting 4 or 5 crosses a game on a sixpence and also taking quality corners, its really poor and holding us back. If we could only sign one player for next season I'd sign a good winger and ditch the wingback system, we'd still have enough quality to win every single game we've won this season, but would have more chance against top 8 sides

I’m still struggling to see a player in Collins, he’s weak as piss. About 4 times their fullback shielded the ball to the byline and not once did he make half an effort to get to it. I’m sure One of the shieldings was about 20 yard from the line. Didn’t think Bod was to bad today, though his jumping for headers do seem to be badly mistimed the majority of the time. 

Theres still a chance for the autos, I didn’t think Derby were all that and they will drop more points. Hopefully the return of Dion and Baxter after the break will give us a much needed boost……by fuck do we need it. 

Just back & still gutted. We were much the better team, played some lovely football but if you don't score you can get sucker punched like today.

Can't complain, we've done it to others. It's looking like the play offs for us now but hopefully we'll have Dion & Baxter  back after the break.

56 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Not sure we have under achieved, improved every year under evatt.

The trouble is while we've gone from 5th to joint 3rd, Derby have gone from 7th to 2nd and Pompey from 8th to 1st.  So we've gone from being better than them to being worse than them, no shame in that but its difficult to say we've improved when the only gain is that we've caught Barnsley up while allowing 2 others to overtake us.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The trouble is while we've gone from 5th to joint 3rd, Derby have gone from 7th to 2nd and Pompey from 8th to 1st.  So we've gone from being better than them to being worse than them, no shame in that but its difficult to say we've improved when the only gain is that we've caught Barnsley up while allowing 2 others to overtake us.

Think missing the spine of our team for so long may not have helped 

We appoint a manager like Warne, he’d get us over the line and we’d promptly get horsed every week.

I still have absolute faith that Evatt would be completely the right man to the lead us in the Championship, but I struggle to believe he’s the man that gets us there.

Piece of piss this football lark, eh?

6 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

The lack of quality from the wing is frustrating given how many times we get into good positions.  Not a criticism of the full backs, but compared to having Morais putting 4 or 5 crosses a game on a sixpence and also taking quality corners, its really poor and holding us back. If we could only sign one player for next season I'd sign a good winger and ditch the wingback system, we'd still have enough quality to win every single game we've won this season, but would have more chance against top 8 sides

Yeah, imagine how many our strikers would have had this season if they had a proper winger playing good balls in regularly.

Just as an example Ogbeta had 3 great chances to put a ball in in the first 20mins, but only 1 ended up going in the box and Bod could have scored (possibly a bit harsh in my earlier criticism now I've seen it back - looks an excellent save). Get all 3 in and we should be scoring more.

I thought we were pretty good today overall. But there's only so many weeks we can come away talking about how fantastic our football is and how the opposition should feel fortunate to have been on the same pitch.

12th in League One over the past 14 games is shite and simply nowhere near good enough to get automatic promotion.

4 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We appoint a manager like Warne, he’d get us over the line and we’d promptly get horsed every week.

I still have absolute faith that Evatt would be completely the right man to the lead us in the Championship, but I struggle to believe he’s the man that gets us there.

Piece of piss this football lark, eh?

I struggle with this line of thinking. We've won one out of six against the four other best teams in the division this year. Last year we won one out of eight against the top four. The year before it was zero out of eight.

Three seasons. 22 games against the best sides. Two wins, both of which saw the opposition receive a red card in the first half.

I appreciate that teams in the Championship might play a different style to the top teams in L1, but equally we're not going to find Cambridge or Cheltenham up there either. Championship sides will be just as physical as Derby/Barnsley etc. but far better technically too.

59 minutes ago, radcliffe white said:

Charles would’ve made no difference mate 

Strange that anyone thinks Charles would have made a positive difference today.  We would have lost possession more easily, and there were no chances that he would have taken.  Folk quote his scoring stats but they were when we had the easier fixtures.  1 goal away at top 6 teams in 2 seasons unless I've missed any?  (at Peterboro in a 5-0 win).  Not a criticism, but don't think one player is going to make a difference, the issue is we don't create chances in these games and we don't do shooting from distance or quality set pieces.

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, marple whites said:

At least we showed up today and thought we played really well.

but bottom line is lost again

an away team won’t play much better there - but no consoltion

gutted

Pretty much sums it up.

No point discussing much else on this thread, especially when it’s attracted the Zog who only ever comments on here when there’s something to moan about and claim some sort of twisted moral victory after us losing.

I’m happy to be a happy clapper and despite being completely gutted at full time can now look back and say today was a belting day out.  Might be the wine taking effect of course.  Thought on the whole we played pretty well and for once turned up for a big game.  Could have and should have won.  Thought a turning point was when Gayle went off injured and they rejigged with an extra midfielder.  Also a different story if Bod’s header goes in.  Not read all the posts…..but don’t think we’ve done justice to our support today.  Top drawer.  Outstanding.  All game.  Put them to shame.  A taste of what championship footy would feel like each week in “proper” grounds.  Hey-ho, off to Stevenage we go.  We can still do this!

23 minutes ago, onefinfrandsen said:

Think missing the spine of our team for so long may not have helped 

I wasn't comparing this year's injuries with last year's.  I like a stat but even I can't be bothered working out how many games Santos, Toal, Sheehan missed last year compared to this (other players can be considered too).

5 hours ago, onefinfrandsen said:

And the Wembley pitch will suit or style

I've been looking at it long term for weeks, haven't thought we had enough for autos so how would we get through play offs. Stating the obvious I suppose but its all about finding a way to do better in the two leg semi than last year then, whoever we play in the final, at Wembley, I'd fancy us

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, 1969 said:

Not over by any stretch of the imagination.Derby will drop points they are a poor side

Deluded, they beat us for all our possession, goals win games. 

15 minutes ago, Tombwfc said:

I struggle with this line of thinking. We've won one out of six against the four other best teams in the division this year. Last year we won one out of eight against the top four. The year before it was zero out of eight.

Three seasons. 22 games against the best sides. Two wins, both of which saw the opposition receive a red card in the first half.

I appreciate that teams in the Championship might play a different style to the top teams in L1, but equally we're not going to find Cambridge or Cheltenham up there either. Championship sides will be just as physical as Derby/Barnsley etc. but far better technically too.

That's a bit sobering.  Even when we were relegation fodder in years gone by we always had a win against top teams (WBA away not long ago, Villa at home with ALF).  I find it bizarre that this decent team can't even occasionally get a lucky, underserved, flukey win in the snow or in the 1st month of the season.  Our consistency of results in the last 3 seasons isn't something I've come across in the last 40 years.

1 minute ago, Johnnyrotten said:

That's a bit sobering.  Even when we were relegation fodder in years gone by we always had a win against top teams (WBA away not long ago, Villa at home with ALF).  I find it bizarre that this decent team can't even occasionally get a lucky, underserved, flukey win in the snow or in the 1st month of the season.  Our consistency of results in the last 3 seasons isn't something I've come across in the last 40 years.

With that type of form against better teams there is no point going up, there is no doubt in my mind our mentality is weak. 

17 minutes ago, Bertie said:

I’m happy to be a happy clapper and despite being completely gutted at full time can now look back and say today was a belting day out.  Might be the wine taking effect of course.  Thought on the whole we played pretty well and for once turned up for a big game.  Could have and should have won.  Thought a turning point was when Gayle went off injured and they rejigged with an extra midfielder.  Also a different story if Bod’s header goes in.  Not read all the posts…..but don’t think we’ve done justice to our support today.  Top drawer.  Outstanding.  All game.  Put them to shame.  A taste of what championship footy would feel like each week in “proper” grounds.  Hey-ho, off to Stevenage we go.  We can still do this!

Belting 💪

• Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, Bertie said:

That’s what it’s all about Bert. A belting day out. Good lad.

In Derby's last 12 home games, the only teams that haven't scored against them are Stevenage, Port Vale and us.  I find it strange that folk are happy with today's performance as if we were just unlucky, 1 goal would have given us a point as Derby didn't have 2 goals in them, but it was another punchless away game against a top 8 team.  And repeat.

• Site Supporter

See, I don’t get why folks are happy clapping.

We’re weak men against anyone with balls.

Lost again today, whichever way you want to paint it.🙄