Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Derby County (A)

L/H White

• Site Supporter
2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Just watched their goal a few times and it’s dross; nobody attacks the ball and it’s a free header that Coleman just watches.

should have won that game and we are throwing the season away

I thought the captain could have done more.

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We’re the third(?) highest scorers in the entire bastard country and yet so often we look bloody useless in front of goal. Absolutely baffling, really. 

15 came against Exeter and United's kids, I'd not read to much into it

Edited by L/H White

• Site Supporter
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Not sure how you can be certain.  If he hadn't played at Pompey, we might have been leading at H-T.

It sounds like I'm having a dig at him, I'm not, but with respect its like saying if Iredale had played yesterday we wouldn't have conceded - how can we possibly know Charles would have chosen yesterday to score at a top 6 ground, not something he, or anyone else, has a track record of. 

I’ll use your own argument against you here!

When we discus and give our opinions, we are not talking about certainties, how can we ever have a discussion if something was a certainty!

I would suspect the strong argument is that, Charles is our top scorer, he gets in space and makes runs our other strikers don’t, he can score on big occasions (Sunderland home, Barnsley play-off and Wembley spring to mind without going into looking at stats, sure there’s more), he scores lots of goals away from home, he harries and chases lost causes creating his own chances, he’s our most natural finisher, he’s scored goals regularly at this level for 3/4 seasons now.

You make it sound like we haven’t missed him. I beg to differ. Him and Baxter back in would have and will make a difference when fit again. 

Edited by desperado

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, desperado said:

I’ll use your own argument against you here!

When we discus and give our opinions, we are not talking about certainties, how can we ever have a discussion if something was a certainty!

I would suspect the strong argument is that, Charles is our top scorer, he gets in space and makes runs our other strikers don’t, he can score on big occasions (Sunderland home and Wembley spring to mind without going into looking at stats, sure there’s more), he scores lots of goals away from home, he harries and chases lost causes creating his own chances, he’s our most natural finisher, he’s scored goals regularly at this level for 3/4 seasons now.

You make it sound like we haven’t missed him. I beg to differ. Him and Baxter back in would have and will make a difference when fit again. 

Think it's being massively under-stated how much we've missed them. Any squad in the land missing their first-choice Goal Keeper and highest-scoring striker (albeit one struggling for form) is going to have a serious wobble, and that's not even taking into account Santos being out for a couple of months. We've been fucked by shit luck.

6 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Think it's being massively under-stated how much we've missed them. Any squad in the land missing their first-choice Goal Keeper and highest-scoring striker (albeit one struggling for form) is going to have a serious wobble, and that's not even taking into account Santos being out for a couple of months. We've been fucked by shit luck.

Pompey had worse injury list and they’ve found a way. 

2 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Just watched their goal a few times and it’s dross; nobody attacks the ball and it’s a free header that Coleman just watches.

Not sure what Ogbetta's doing. He's either supposed to be marking Waghorn - but doesn't and ends up stood at the side of him and right behind GJ - or he's supposed to be on the back stick.

Ironic if he's supposed to be back post; if he'd stayed there he'd have stopped it. If the instruction is to move off when the corner's taken, then if Sheehan had done the same on the front post Waghorn would have been offside and clearly interfering.

Sure there's some logic to it, just can't work out what.

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Pompey had worse injury list and they’ve found a way. 

Have they lost their Goalkeeper and top scorer?

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

No doubt we've had it bad with injuries and it's affected us.

Portsmouth have had shocking luck, but ironically they came out of their slump as their injuries started to pile up. Derby have about 7 out including all their strikers (pre Gayle signing). Credit to both that they've coped well, we've coped less well.

Probably helps that they've been massively fortunate with decisions as well.

Anyway, IE has been talking up this break for a while so now's the chance for the reset (mentally), rest and hopefully one or two of the injured back.

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

They beat Peterborough with this injury list and lost another striker after 32 minutes yesterday. 

The Blues have had little luck with injuries this season, despite their lofty position at the top of League One. As well as Lane, Pompey went into today’s important game without the injured Regan Poole, Joe Morrell, Terry Devlin, Alex Robertson, Tom McIntrye, Connor Ogilive, Tom Lowery, Ben Stevenson, Tino Anjorin and Anthony Scully.

2 hours ago, gonzo said:

That Cogley ball when we had 5 players in box just before half time infuriated me more than anything else in the game including bods miss. Stuff like that is the difference.

I love Sheehan, one of the best midfielders in the league, but fuck me his corners are absolutely terrible.

Definitely,  lots of good football played to get in those positions but the final ball tends to get skied behind the goal . I hate short corners but I'd rather see some of those into the mix rather than the floated ball in that defenders just mop up ( if it beats the first man)

Edited by dusan nikolic

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

They beat Peterborough with this injury list and lost another striker after 32 minutes yesterday. 

The Blues have had little luck with injuries this season, despite their lofty position at the top of League One. As well as Lane, Pompey went into today’s important game without the injured Regan Poole, Joe Morrell, Terry Devlin, Alex Robertson, Tom McIntrye, Connor Ogilive, Tom Lowery, Ben Stevenson, Tino Anjorin and Anthony Scully.

Doesn't answer my question.

5 hours ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Derby's goal isn't on Coleman.

You have to look at our three CBs before you can even consider Coleman.

• Members
4 hours ago, FrancisFogarty said:

That's fair enough, they've had some bad luck, but it doesn't make our situation less shitty.

Simple question. Before the season started, if offered, would you have settled for where we are with seven games to go?

I certainly would. Automatic promotion is still on.

Some journalist on a podcast I listen to saying Liverpool looked knackered against Utd, as its their 18th game of the year already.

Think I counted 20 for Bolton. Plus the 2 abandoned games we'll have done all the prep for. 

Hopefully the break will do us good. 

6 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

And Derby lost Collins their top scorer

3 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Simple question. Before the season started, if offered, would you have settled for where we are with seven games to go?

Honestly, no. Top 2 was (hopefully still is) a doable minimum for me.

Appreciate that’s solely my opinion but  anything below where we are now would be clear underachievement. I’ll call what this looks like in our current position at the end of the season.

• Site Supporter
47 minutes ago, tomski said:

Appreciate that’s solely my opinion but  anything below where we are now would be clear underachievement. I’ll call what this looks like in our current position at the end of the season.

I'm with this. The division is weaker than last season and what it will be next season.

I'm not even that bothered about our record againt the top teams. We've tossed stupid points away against some crap

• Moderators
4 hours ago, bolty58 said:

Simple answer

No 

1 hour ago, tomski said:

Agree with that. Especially with the position we were in before Black February. 

And the money spent.

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Cheese said:

Doesn't answer my question.

The answer to your question is, I think, no 

But it's not like they are the only important players in a team 

That list might include pompeys best and most influential players

Derby lost their top goal scorer though, and 20 minutes in lost their in form prolific scorer brought in to replace him, and still scored more than us 

So we're all suffering 

1 hour ago, tomski said:

We are third but the team who are 9 points ahead in first finished below us last year as did Derby who are now 5 ahead of us.

None of the relegated teams from Championship are 'in mix' from last year . Stevenage of the promoted teams are on the edges of it but the three teams who lost in play offs last year are in play off spots again. 

For us not to get promoted this year will IMO be a failure. It is made worse by the fact in Jan we had got ourselves into a great position and spent good money. 

I agree with you that the current position would not be what we wanted and or expected at start of the season or at start of the year. The crazy thing is despite terrible performances at Northampton, Exeter, Wigan and Blackpool and being unlucky on Saturday we could still catch up if play to our potential. 

55 minutes ago, Biggish Dave said:

I'm with this. The division is weaker than last season and what it will be next season.

I'm not even that bothered about our record againt the top teams. We've tossed stupid points away against some crap

This.

Burton A, Reading A, Carlisle H, Bristol Rovers H, Northampton A, Exeter A. 15 points dropped there alone.

Pompey and Derby both seem to have that knack of grinding out results even if they aren't playing well (Derby epitomised this at weekend).

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

Their main striker (Bishop) has been injured a few times, and has played less games than Charles this season.

They have been lucky to not lose their keeper.

Ther equivelent of Santos (Poole) has been out most of the season.

(Both were missing when they beat us, we had Santos, Baxter and Charles for that game).

10 hours ago, Cheese said:

Derby have. Collins is their top scorer with same goals as Dion and put for months, and Vickers was their number one keeper in Jan/Feb, injured and they've had to go back to Wildsmith.

The injuries are just excuses. Winners find a way to win. We need to get into that mindset