Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bristol Rovers (A)

burnden

8 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

They may well drop points but if they do, we wouldn't need goal difference, we'd just need the points from the 4 wins we need.  For goal difference to come into it we both need to drop points.

If they w3 L1 and we w3 D1 we would be level on points. Hence, it is worth trying to improve our goal difference.

• Site Supporter
22 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

They may well drop points but if they do, we wouldn't need goal difference, we'd just need the points from the 4 wins we need.  For goal difference to come into it we both need to drop points.

Which is perfectly possible. 

No guarantees either of us wins the remaining games. 

Very solid away performance that. Usual mad 5 minutes post half time when we’re coming back round from our naps (during which Baxter made 2 amazing saves - he played like he’d never been away, it’s good to have him back!), but otherwise I thought we were solid, never really looked threatened and as much as we didn’t play beautiful flowing football - which I think the wind had a say in - we created enough and that bit of quality we now have turned a potential 1 point into 3.

No real standouts, although I thought Toal was faultless again and Baxter gets a shout for looking so comfortable after so long out, but plenty of 7/10s all over the pitch.

Clean sheet, +2 on the goal difference, Collins scoring again (great finish), Baxter back and one of the 2 remaining away games negotiated. A good day all round (and Barnsley lost for an added bonus).

1 hour ago, Farrelli said:

If they w3 L1 and we w3 D1 we would be level on points. Hence, it is worth trying to improve our goal difference.

Fair enough, no argument with that.  I think I'm just assuming that our one chance at this is to win all 4.  For us to drop points and then expect Derby to drop even more from their dream set of fixtures seems far fetched.  If they draw a game, great, and we have to capitalise, hopefully Posh will be out of the running by the last game.

Excellent result today. Not the best performance but who ares at this stage, just need the points before the big one next week, which I honestly think we can win. Portsmouth aren't better than us man for man, just coached to be more consistent.

Also, Collins looks a great player for next season (hopefully in the championship). His technique is better than all bar Bod, and he's creative. If we can get him and Charles firing that could be some partnership on the future. For next few games I'd leave it as Collins and Bod up front, working well at home especially.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Stig said:

just coached to be more consistent.

Let’s hope next week they will be out- coached and sent away without any celebrations whatsoever 

7 hours ago, woolli said:

Should have been on from the start for me. Maghoma to much of a luxury.

Dempsey’s performance showed exactly why Maghoma needs to be starting. Best midfield lineup is Sheehan, Maghoma and GT.

• Site Supporter

Not read back through the thread, basically because I'm pissed

Baxter brings a real calmness. Cam knows how to draw a pen and Collins loves it at Bolton.

We're going up - one way or another

1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Fair enough, no argument with that.  I think I'm just assuming that our one chance at this is to win all 4.  For us to drop points and then expect Derby to drop even more from their dream set of fixtures seems far fetched.  If they draw a game, great, and we have to capitalise, hopefully Posh will be out of the running by the last game.

Yes it is the hope that kills you

• Site Supporter
23 minutes ago, L/H White said:

anyone notice Jerome on the sideline throughout the majority of the second half, coaching the team as much as evatt

Yes. Noticed at 1 point too, the ball went out next to him. Ref pointed to the Bristol player, that's where the throw in is.

He moved 5 yards towards us. Good pro

8 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

Dempsey’s performance showed exactly why Maghoma needs to be starting. Best midfield lineup is Sheehan, Maghoma and GT.

Your opinion, not mine.

8 hours ago, Biggish Dave said:

Not read back through the thread, basically because I'm pissed

Baxter brings a real calmness. Cam knows how to draw a pen and Collins loves it at Bolton.

We're going up - one way or another

This is a massive plus for us either going up direct or going up through the play offs.  He’s probably the best Evatt signing. 

Edited by Mounts Kipper