Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Playoffs

L/H White

48 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Clearly not right, but when lower level refs are getting twatted etc, a kitchen comment barely sends a ripple.

Both are unacceptable obviously physical assault is the worst of the 2.

But just like a bad tackle and out right punching an opponent both are punishable at different levels

3 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Clearly not right, but when lower level refs are getting twatted etc, a kitchen comment barely sends a ripple.

It’s bit like the Broken Windows theory in criminology, though.

if the kitchen comment barely sends a ripple, what about a slightly more serious comment or offence; and so it perpetuates.

I’m hardly a “snowflake” type, but respect for referees at all levels but, especially, at grassroots level, should and must be enforced.

• Members
17 minutes ago, Rival Son said:

if the kitchen comment barely sends a ripple, what about a slightly more serious comment or offence; and so it perpetuates.

I’m hardly a “snowflake” type, but respect for referees at all levels but, especially, at grassroots level, should and must be enforced.

Aye

44 minutes ago, Rival Son said:

Referees get less respect in football than any other sport.
Football generates more money than most other sports.

No coincidence.

need some context: how long is left in the season? bans are normally for games, not time periods. this can transcend levels of football; a 3 game ban could be over a weekend, or could be a month. a player should be punished for the offence committed, rather than the victim.

assuming the red card is for dissent, it should be classed as using offensive, insulting or abusive language: so yeah, if only 3 games left, you're out: however, apparently he was only going to be booked? i'm assuming that it has already gone before an appeal?

either way @Cheese thinking an 18 year old having to miss a prolonged period of football for something like this is 'good' is absolute bollocks: it will create resentment and frustration at a time he'll potentially just give up- punish him like any other foul at that age, but include some learning

if he carries on after that... different kettle of fish

2 hours ago, DazBob said:

The lad should've been booked or possibly sent off.

No need for any further punishment. He'd not have done it again.

I disagree - she should have gone to the kitchen as suggested.

In the kitchen she'd have found a large sharp knife with which she should have removed the little misogynist twats' left bollock and forced him to eat it at knifepoint.

Maybe then he wouldn't have done it again? But as she probably didn't, I suspect he'll probably just grow up to be a bitter wife-beating toerag.

• Site Supporter
13 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Does that make the comment acceptable? Well, at least he didn’t twat her! 

OK.

• Site Supporter
11 hours ago, Rival Son said:

Oh I agree entirely. 

Not sure if an outright ban is a bit excessive though; maybe a sending off, and a few games.

• Site Supporter
10 hours ago, Dr Faustus said:

either way @Cheese thinking an 18 year old having to miss a prolonged period of football for something like this is 'good' is absolute bollocks: it will create resentment and frustration at a time he'll potentially just give up- punish him like any other foul at that age, but include some learning

if he carries on after that... different kettle of fish

I'm sure he's learned his lesson. And whoever brought him up thinking it's ok to speak to a referee like that can get to fuck too. Bet you're one of those who thinks "youngsters don't show enough respect these days".

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Read the post again ffs.

I did… FFS.

Sounds to me as though you’re claiming a misogynistic and glib comment from an 18 year old kid is ok because he could’ve twatted her.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

I'm sure he's learned his lesson. And whoever brought him up thinking it's ok to speak to a referee like that can get to fuck too. Bet you're one of those who thinks "youngsters don't show enough respect these days".

Weren't like that in my day.

1 hour ago, Cheese said:

how sure are you? the point i'm making is the punishment should be consistent... a lot of players tail off at 18, if hes banned for the rest of the season there is a chance he wont play again, wont pay his fine, and wont have learned his lesson.

fwiw, as an active volunteer, i have seen first hand how much respect youngsters show officials. parents on the other hand can be wankers

• Site Supporter
7 minutes ago, Dr Faustus said:

how sure are you? the point i'm making is the punishment should be consistent... a lot of players tail off at 18, if hes banned for the rest of the season there is a chance he wont play again, wont pay his fine, and wont have learned his lesson.

fwiw, as an active volunteer, i have seen first hand how much respect youngsters show officials. parents on the other hand can be wankers

He shouldn't have said it then. 🤷‍♂️ 

• Moderators
2 hours ago, gonzo said:

Weren't like that in my day.

mine either, back then the women were in the kitchen and not on the football field