Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

The Olympic Games

gonzo

She is entered (and broke British record on Friday), but my understanding that it was a fallback in case of disaster in the heptathlon (like 3 no jumps or throws). If she does compete she could reach the final but would do well to place.

In Tokyo 1964 Mary Rand took gold in the long jump, then silver in the pentathlon, then bronze in the sprint relay.

really? she ran a time in the heptathlon that would have won gold in beijing for the individual event. i would say she had a great chance of a medal should she enter.

http://www.iaaf.org/...00H/detail.html

Joint 3rd quickest this year. Got to try.

Why? She hasn't taken a place for which anyone else was eligible.

None of the other contenders are doing earlier events, and none of them have yet run on this track, whivch is clearly fast. She wasn't in the fastest 10 of the year before Friday, and will inevitably be emotionally drained by 10.05 on Monday morning. Anyway Australia need all the golds they can get!!

Why no celebration of the best result of field athletics in 60 years?

More people in the world will have taken note of the long jump win than the heptathlon.

The long jump is the major event of the field, don’t you realise that on this night the event that attracted the biggest world audience?

Edited by bgoefc

Well that's a day/evening that I wont tire of seeing highlights of again and again for the next few decades!

Had to nip out for a bit earlier on so kept up to date using Orange updates on my phone, the commentator on there kept saying how much Lineker and Ian "look" Thorpe clearly hate eachother. Whats that about Ive not seen much of them on screen together?

• Site Supporter

When she was interviewed I'd never seen her before and thought she had an illness, I'd shave the little bits of hair off.

Why?

So it looks better?

So as not to offend?

You really are an imbecile

Edited by HomerJay

Well that's a day/evening that I wont tire of seeing highlights of again and again for the next few decades!

Had to nip out for a bit earlier on so kept up to date using Orange updates on my phone, the commentator on there kept saying how much Lineker and Ian "look" Thorpe clearly hate eachother. Whats that about Ive not seen much of them on screen together?

Thorpe comes across as quite a humble sort of bloke, he seems to think before he speaks. He keeps picking up on some of the crass things Lineker says and so makes the smug cunt look a little silly.

fuck me what a weekend

been down in the smoke since Friday morning and had 2 hours kip

That was in hyde park at the bt live jobby, Woke up surrounded by tens of thousands going ape shit as we where smashing another gold home in the cycling.

Amazing scenes in Hyde Park last night. If you can try and get down!

My daughters sat & watched last nights events & got caught up in all of the emotion. For me that says everything about these games. They normally have zero interest in sport.

They've even watched the horse jumping this morning & shown interest.

• Members

Bolty, i bet the Aussie press are slating their own. It must be the best time to be a pommie down under since we won the Ashes

You will think I am joking but I am not. Some of the Aussie commentators have started referring to British competitors as 'ours'.

Nothing new here - they claimed Phar Lap (kiwi), Crowded House (kiwis), AC/DC (Brits) - I would be here all night if I listed everyone they have claimed.

Let's just say when things aren't going their way, they are pleasantly quiet. In fact, you struggle to find the fcukers.

• Members

You must like Murray more than I do then.It is a toss up whether Bolton beating Blackburn or Murray losing Wimbledon was the highlight of the sporting year so far.I know Scots who wanted Ennis and co to lose.

No sir, I am with you. Don't like him at all and, as you say, there is a peculiar satisfaction when he chokes.

This time, however, I would like him to win as there is a greater cause at stake. Annihilation of the Aussies in the medal stakes is very highly desirable. Remember that I had 20 odd years aidiotst the gloating cunts when their Warne McGrath machine was panning us. The scars run deep and whilst being on top in recent Ashes series', they have to suffer much more than that.

No sir, I am with you. Don't like him at all and, as you say, there is a peculiar satisfaction when he chokes.

This time, however, I would like him to win as there is a greater cause at stake. Annihilation of the Aussies in the medal stakes is very highly desirable. Remember that I had 20 odd years aidiotst the gloating cunts when their Warne McGrath machine was panning us. The scars run deep and whilst being on top in recent Ashes series', they have to suffer much more than that.

A lot more, I would proffer

100 years might do it