Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton V Derby

bwfc87

The decision to be more realistic than optimistic this season means I was really happy with that draw yesterday, far better than the stuffing I was expecting.

Madine impressed me during the preseason & yesterday showed he can push on to be a very influential part of our spine going forward this year.

Wilson looks capable without being World beating & that might just be enough for now. Prince really impressed on a debut with little time spent training or gelling with his new team mates. Feeney worked tirelessly as usual, Pratley's performance continues from last season, Clough looked short of game time but should get better in the coming weeks. Heskey was exceptional when he came on & was a big influence in nearly taking all 3 points. A great asset off the bench on that showing.

The only issue I had yesterday was Moxey, though I seem to be in a club of 1 given others comments. I've been waiting for the highlights to see if I was being unfair & I don't think I am. He was poor for me in preseason, continually out of position & too lazy to recover his position.

Yesterday I thought he was out of position too much again but not as lazy to recover his position. Watch him in the highlights, the majority of Derby's chances came through where he should've been. Plus there was a number of times he made some good last ditch tackles chasing back, but if he was in a better position in the first place , he wouldn't've had too. I think a lot of the time he's unaware of the player moving in behind him too, ball watches too much.

Maybe I'm being unfair, maybe he's being asked to push on in possession, though if he is he needs to be quicker to respond & recover position when we lose it.

An out & out line hugging winger will murder us down that side, thankfully Derby didnt.

Surprised to see so many saying we nearly nicked it. I feel like Derby nicked a point off us after that performance!

If we can just squeeze a couple more numbers into the squad to help when we get injuries we wont be far off the business end of the table.

Madine and Prince amazed me yesterday with how strong they were considering their builds. Other players were bouncing off them, that aggression has been missing from our team for a while. 

What an odd style of commentary for the footy. It sounds more like horse racing commentary, take a breath pal.

That was the commentary from Wanderers Player dubbed over the top of the highlights. That's basically what I listen to every Saturday morning at 7am for 2 hours.

He says "er" far too much, for sure, but as far as commentary goes he gets everything pretty much spot on.

Can't remember coming off the Macron as happy with a 0-0 since the one we got against the DMBs in 97.

Best of all was Gouano and Madine looking so good.

It does make you wonder what's possible (even with no parachute payments) with some well targeted foreign signings and the kids coming through our ranks.

My nephew came up from Midlands yesterday to see me, with 2 of his kids. We all went to the match - the kids first BW match; they loved that 2nd half atmosphere. They live a distance away, but the seed is planted.

Just needs nursing through the notoriously tough winter ahead!!

Yesterday I thought he was out of position too much again but not as lazy to recover his position. Watch him in the highlights, the majority of Derby's chances came through where he should've been. Plus there was a number of times he made some good last ditch tackles chasing back, but if he was in a better position in the first place , he wouldn't've had too. I think a lot of the time he's unaware of the player moving in behind him too, ball watches too much.

Maybe I'm being unfair, maybe he's being asked to push on in possession, though if he is he needs to be quicker to respond & recover position when we lose it.

I always thought Mark Fish was guilty of that. Made some tremendous last ditch tackles for us.... but half the time it was due to his own errors and poor positional play.

Are people seriously accepting draws at home as good results?

I always thought Mark Fish was guilty of that. Made some tremendous last ditch tackles for us.... but half the time it was due to his own errors and poor positional play.

Kin ell Ricardo Gardner made his career on it.

Anyway anewman is disgusted we are all happy about drawing at home.

Can he please be let back on here I'm sick of him asking me to put rants on :D