Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

• Site Supporter
5 hours ago, gonzo said:

Indeed. Hope the investment works for Bolton. Like you allude to most town centres are in a slow death with failure to adapt.

Midweek office jockeys and weekend moochers are the key now.

They way Blackpool has gone, particularly round the winter gardens has been superb and with loads more to come. Great funding and its really working.

Hopefully Bolton follows suit. 

Talking of Blackpool, I visited a couple of weeks ago and noticed the traffic lights at the junction of the promenade at Coral Island have gone. The now lack of lights also means no pedestrian controlled crossing. Who the fuck thought that was a good idea?

6 minutes ago, tomski said:

Still makes me laugh that midweek we went to Gillingham and the police came into a pub and asked where the Bolton fans were, pointed to a section of the pub. Then asked where gillingham were and she said ‘he’s over there’😂

To be fair to them, the London teams (and utd and liverpool) seem to nick all the fans in Kent for them, so hats off to anyone who supports them. A truly grim supporter experience.

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

To be fair to them, the London teams (and utd and liverpool) seem to nick all the fans in Kent for them, so hats off to anyone who supports them. A truly grim supporter experience.

No arguments, it’s one place I genuinely feel sorry for residents when I’ve been. 

You’d think they’d have a good run at it as being the most southern club in that area in the league with Canterbury, Dover etc but It’s a tough sell I imagine.

22 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

Seem to recall the then Gillingham owner was pissed off that Charlton were putting on coaches etc from there so nicking potential fans

1 hour ago, tomski said:

No arguments, it’s one place I genuinely feel sorry for residents when I’ve been. 

You’d think they’d have a good run at it as being the most southern club in that area in the league with Canterbury, Dover etc but It’s a tough sell I imagine.

Well as mentioned the Kent Messager when I first moved down to Canterbury used to have huge coverage of Charlton and billed them  at the time as 'Kents only premier league club' which is pushing it a bit! Even in Bromley I meet more Milwall than Charlton fans and it's 4 miles away.

Victoria Station on a Saturday is rammed with Arsenal and Spurs fans coming from East Kent with a smattering of West Ham.

Places like C'bury, Dover etc don't feel.any affliation with Medway really so Gillingham could be on the moon for them. Plus some quite large non league teams that do quite well in East Kent.

4 hours ago, tomski said:

Still makes me laugh that midweek we went to Gillingham and the police came into a pub and asked where the Bolton fans were, pointed to a section of the pub. Then asked where gillingham were and she said ‘he’s over there’😂

Is that the game where you paid a tramp £10 to get into a pub? 

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Wife just got back and said it was really good and plenty of people there. Only a couple of stalls to get food and no ale ones which you would think is missing an obvious trick but maybe they thought it would just bring the dickheads out.

Needn’t have worried, they’re paying £8 a pint to freeze their knackers off at the Christmas Markets in Manchester. 

• 2 weeks later...