Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
27 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

Is there nowt the council can do to force the hand of the owners/landlords of some of these semi-derelict shitholes that are marring any efforts at improvement?

Certainly can for private dwellings, after a period of time.

Presumably something similar for commercial premises?

I had an interest in a property a few years back and they didn't cease meithering me about my 'plans' - and it was hardly going to rack and ruin either.

Takes the piss that the likes of BMW can up sticks and piss off to a new facility down the road and leave behind a fucking carbuncle.

It really is shite now bottom end of Bradshawgate/start of Manny Road - The Leena has gone now leaving nowt open in that block and the units on the small retail park what Maplin was on are now almost all vacant. Fuck all happening on the old Bolton College or Wayne Walker - stating the obvious but what a dump around there now.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

20 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

It really is shite now bottom end of Bradshawgate/start of Manny Road - The Leena has gone now leaving nowt open in that block and the units on the small retail park what Maplin was on are now almost all vacant. Fuck all happening on the old Bolton College or Wayne Walker - stating the obvious but what a dump around there now.

There's that lovely tented village on the corner of Trinity Street/Bradshawgate.

• Site Supporter

We moved someone out of Moseley St today. They said the shop is barely ticking over as nobody with any money to spend has Bolton as their first port of call.

They have branches in Leeds and Chorley that are apperantly thriving so they put the blame squarely at the feet of the area.

1 hour ago, stevieb said:

Hasn't Frank told us it's been part of a Bolton council masterplan for a while waiting for that site to become available to turn it into the next fallowfield. 

Doubt BMW have owt to do with it. Might be wrong. 

It was once upon a time ear marked to become 'merchants quarter' with offices, apartments and businesses units. Colin Farrel even bought a building. 

Like most of the town centre it died a death upon the recession. 

There won't be an area of the town that doesn't have plans for development but without private investment or specific government funding nowt will happen. 

Last I knew Wayne walkers was going to become a multi storey for the station. 

• Members

Been seeing reports down here about the rebirth of Altrincham. Reckon it was a near ghost town with boarded up shops not that long ago and has now become the place to be with 'foodies' and others flocking there and enriching independent traders of various types.

There's nowt wrong with Bolton which good leadership wouldn't cure (the town and the football club).

The Altrincham rebirth is over rated in my opinion.A bit of Altrincham town centre has been regenerated with the new restaurants, boutique shops and bars but the stretch opposite the tram station remains mostly boarded up and the main shopping strip contains half a dozen charity shops, Greggs, Home Bargains, Poundstretcher etc. The Altrincham regeneration  is also at the expense of nearby Hale which is now dead in the evening.

On 09/12/2018 at 15:55, tomski said:

Boltons on the rise. It's trendy to knock it. Haters gonna hate 

courtyard 36 gets a thumbs up

Cracking bar that. The vaults was decent too. Pepes was cracking scran for a session too. 

I did have to pass the homeless jungle (one guy) though. 

On 18/12/2018 at 16:07, Youri McAnespie said:

Is it a village now? It was one bloke before, and some public-spirited and civic-proud soul had tipped his shit-tip over the railings onto the former Wayne Walker site, so it was briefly clear.

Easy commute from their house in the Haulgh

14 minutes ago, Youri McAnespie said:

There you go, Kent. TMGJ has ensured you'll always have a roof over your head, and a handy source of scabies.

I had scabies once. In fact - I think I might have given it to Crawley? :)

Terrible affliction and a fucking nightmare to get rid of!

But TFGJ's post has filled me with a sense of security in the event that everything goes to tits