Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

According to the MEN -

Our current contract situation:

2023: Dixon, Santos, Aimson, Sheehan, Lee, Bodvarsson, Kachunga, Bakayoko, Darcy, Isgrove

2024: Jones, John, Johnston, Dempsey, Afolayan, Sadlier

2025: Iredale, Morley, Charles

5 minutes ago, Mantra said:

According to the MEN -

Our current contract situation:

2023: Dixon, Santos, Aimson, Sheehan, Lee, Bodvarsson, Kachunga, Bakayoko, Darcy, Isgrove

2024: Jones, John, Johnston, Dempsey, Afolayan, Sadlier

2025: Iredale, Morley, Charles

We’ll out of those with contracts ending in 2023, I’d only really look to keep Bod and Rico and at a push Bakajoko, though I think there are better out there if I’m honest. I would keep Lee but he’ll be a year older and probably not up to where we want to be. The others aren’t good enough, especially if we do get promoted. 

Edited by Whitesince63

2 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

We’ll out of those with contracts ending in 2023, I’d only really look to keep Bod and Rico and at a push Bakajoko, though I think there are better out there if I’m honest. I would keep Lee but he’ll be a year older and probably not up to where we want to be. The others aren’t good enough, especially if we do get promoted. 

I agree with you that Bodvarsson, Rico and Baka are the pick of the bunch from the 2023ers. 

Big season for Josh Sheehan to try and prove his worth.

6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Think folk forget how good Sheehan actually is.

You think? Didn't see much special from him before his injury, granted he was playing in a worse squad. 

Scored a nice free kick but my overriding memory of him is being too lightweight and passing the ball straight out of play for a throw-in two weeks in a row when he's the sort of player I would expect to have 100% passing accuracy. Think it was Sunderland (a) and Rotherham (h). I'd have Morley over him any day of the week.

Still, I'm looking forward to see what he can offer next season in the new-look team. But he's only got the one year to prove his worth now after an unfortunate injury. Hope he comes good as he's clearly a good technical player but want to see a bit more from him.

I must be watching a different player 😂

If he gets 15 goals next season I'll delete my account

Only way I could see that is if he takes all the penalties and free kicks. Personally think he'll find it hard to nail down a starting place next season with MJ, Morley, Dempsey and Lee

3 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I must be watching a different player 😂

If he gets 15 goals next season I'll delete my account

Only way I could see that is if he takes all the penalties and free kicks. Personally think he'll find it hard to nail down a starting place next season with MJ, Morley, Dempsey and Lee

scored a blinding free kick on the opening day of the season, he's not lacking confidence if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Breightmet Boy said:

scored a blinding free kick on the opening day of the season, he's not lacking confidence if you ask me.

Yeah it was a cracker that. Honestly I hope he does well, I was very excited when he signed, he just didn't live up to my expectations and then before you know it he's out for the season and there's 5 more players to be more excited about

Nahhhh, you lot are actually on the wind up now.

Disclaimer, I ain't saying Sheehan is a bad player but where is this praise coming from??

He's played 15 league games for us this season. Not sure he was ever MOTM in any of them, or even close to being MOTM. Possibly the first day of the season when he scored the FK but other than that, when? Those 15 games were also the highest level he's ever played at in his career. Other than that he's played 26 games for Yeovil and 140 games for Newport. 

Morley is 5 years younger than him and already has over 100 League One appearances. I know that's not a marker of ability as it depends on the context but...

For a guy that's played 15 times in League One, and none of them being remarkable performances I don't see how he's our 2nd best midfielder and/or likely to score 15 goals next season. Only had two players in last 20 years score more than a dozen and that was Dapo and Doyle!

Morley, Lee, Dempsey, MJ are all ahead of him in my opinion. But maybe he will come back from 9 months out and have the season of his life. 

Edited by Mantra

17 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Disclaimer, I ain't saying Sheehan is a bad player but where is this praise coming from??

He's played 15 league games for us this season. Not sure he was ever MOTM in any of them, or even close to being MOTM. Possibly the first day of the season when he scored the FK but other than that, when? Those 15 games were also the highest level he's ever played at in his career. Other than that he's played 26 games for Yeovil and 140 games for Newport. 

Morley is 5 years younger than him and already has over 100 League One appearances. I know that's not a marker of ability as it depends on the context but...

For a guy that's played 15 times in League One, and none of them being remarkable performances I don't see how he's our 2nd best midfielder and/or likely to score 15 goals next season. Only had two players in last 20 years score more than a dozen and that was Dapo and Doyle!

Morley, Lee, Dempsey, MJ are all ahead of him in my opinion. But maybe he will come back from 9 months out and have the season of his life. 

I'm inclined to agree with you on Sheehan, but as you say we haven't seen much of him since the January additions so he might be a different proposition this time around. As it stands though, I'd say Morley is our key midfielder by some distance.

30 minutes ago, Mantra said:

Agree with you on this think Sheehan is a bit lightweight for me but let’s give him a chance 

8 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Agree with you on this think Sheehan is a bit lightweight for me but let’s give him a chance 

Aye, I'll give him all the time in the world. Not easy to come back from a big injury layoff and I'm sure he will play better now that the squad is better as a whole.

My initial point was only that he just has a lot to prove in the final year of his contract. Even more so if we achieve promotion.

I was just a bit surprised that people rated him quite highly as I can't think of much evidence to back it up, but if I'm forgetting something I'll happily be reminded of it.

• Site Supporter

I'm another in the not convinced yet camp, but in his defence I also don't think we've had the squad to utilise him properly yet either.

He's got quality, of that there's no doubt but not sure he's running the show any time soon

21 minutes ago, Mantra said:

I can't think of much evidence to back it up, but if I'm forgetting something I'll happily be reminded of it.

Didn't he bring a dead ball ability we all said was sadly lacking up to then.

Plus vg link up play between defence & atrack ?

33 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Didn't he bring a dead ball ability we all said was sadly lacking up to then.

Plus vg link up play between defence & atrack ?

One free kick goal and one corner assist (i think). Nothing special but in 15 games not bad for a team that was poor on set pieces.

Can't think of specific example of the vg link up play that you're referring to but whether that's because there weren't many examples or just because it was many months ago, I'm not sure. I just can't remember after a game thinking... 'wow Sheehan ran the game from midfield', in the same way that Morley has for us. However, that could just be recency bias.

He’s a very very tidy player is Sheehan. I think we’ll see the best of him this year playing further forward. Agree with Mounts about Lee 5 years ago but they are by far our best players at linking the  2 deep midfielders and forward 2 or 3. 

can hardly remember him losing the ball either. Can pick a pass and technically very good. He’s up there with the best we’ve got 100% 

re: Lee, when he does play and particularly in a run of games he’s more often than not our MoM. Tells you everything 

Edited by barrycowdrill