Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rip Scotts Bar

Burndens Bogs

Lack of proper cellars doesn't help.

Correct, piss poor cellars at the wrong temperature certainly don't help. As mentioned above, cleaning the lines is also important, and should be done at least once per week...yes it causes a bit of waste, but that's expected and should be written off. My Mother-In-law's pub shed about 4 or 5 pints per line when doing the lines, but she reckons it's better than the wastage they get if people return a pint claiming it's "off"

Another massive problem is dirty glasses. If you get one of those shit pints and there are loads of bubbles on the inside of the glass, just sitting there, those bubbles are generally clinging onto something......which shouldn't be there, be that detergent or dust. Too many places get away with serving shit ale, when you're paying £3~£5 a pint, you should be sending it back if you're not happy with it

I went into a pub a few weeks back and the ale tasted of vinegar, I sent it back and I was looked at like a proper weirdo. I can't think of many other products where you can get away with selling it completely sub par.

If you don't have the time to look after ale don't sell it. If you can't look after keg beer like lager, then you shouldn't be running a pub.

Scott's bar was crap, if you're going to flog masses of crap beer in plastic glasses at least put some Wanderers goal compilations on or serve people at a reasonable pace. It wont be missed.

Edited by Super Bock

Right miserable cunt behind the bar, fucking hates customers

i've thought of one

the Allardyce Boars Head Inn .

owner sees another publican park up in a ferrari , so gets jealous and moves to sunderand to ultimately sit on a park bench.

• Site Supporter

I went into a pub a few weeks back and the ale tasted of vinegar, I sent it back and I was looked at like a proper weirdo. I can't think of many other products where you can get away with selling it completely sub par.

If you don't have the time to look after ale don't sell it. If you can't look after keg beer like lager, then you shouldn't be running a pub.

Scott's bar was crap, if you're going to flog masses of crap beer in plastic glasses at least put some Wanderers goal compilations on or serve people at a reasonable pace. It wont be missed.

I think that'll almost certainly be lager and from a line overdue a clean. I taste a lot of vinegar! Mostly the expensive lagers rather than the cheap shit which maybe leads me back to the fact that there is a massive wastage involved in cleaning.

Correct, piss poor cellars at the wrong temperature certainly don't help. As mentioned above, cleaning the lines is also important, and should be done at least once per week...yes it causes a bit of waste, but that's expected and should be written off. My Mother-In-law's pub shed about 4 or 5 pints per line when doing the lines, but she reckons it's better than the wastage they get if people return a pint claiming it's "off"

Another massive problem is dirty glasses. If you get one of those shit pints and there are loads of bubbles on the inside of the glass, just sitting there, those bubbles are generally clinging onto something......which shouldn't be there, be that detergent or dust. Too many places get away with serving shit ale, when you're paying £3~£5 a pint, you should be sending it back if you're not happy with it

Correct with everything you say.

It's really not rocket science to keep lager ok. Stored and poured at the correct temps, clean lines, cold and clean glasses are all you need on your check list.

The moment any beverage let alone lager is poured into a plastic pot you may as abolish its authenticity. It kills the pint in an instant and goes against every guideline in the book on how to serve beer. It's a joke they get away with it.

The stuff in the ground is almost undrinkable. I dread to think when the last time the lines were cleaned in ESL. There will be fuck all due diligence with that lot.

But folk put up with it and continue to buy it. So they'll keep doing it.

• Site Supporter

Many moons ago my dad's local was a pub with a genuine cellar.

One night a band was playing- the drummer thumped out a few beats with his foot pedal, which resonated down to the barrels, and shook up the sediment in the ale. (Proper stuff then).

Landlord was fastidious and wouldn't serve it.

• Members

Correct with everything you say.

It's really not rocket science to keep lager ok. Stored and poured at the correct temps, clean lines, cold and clean glasses are all you need on your check list.

The moment any beverage let alone lager is poured into a plastic pot you may as abolish its authenticity. It kills the pint in an instant and goes against every guideline in the book on how to serve beer. It's a joke they get away with it.

The stuff in the ground is almost undrinkable. I dread to think when the last time the lines were cleaned in ESL. There will be fuck all due diligence with that lot.

But folk put up with it and continue to buy it. So they'll keep doing it.

There's a pub in York, right by the river so every time it rains a bit it floods

So much so that all the barrels are kept on the first floor rather than the cellar. Would that make a difference?

• Site Supporter

There's a pub in York, right by the river so every time it rains a bit it floods

So much so that all the barrels are kept on the first floor rather than the cellar. Would that make a difference?

Potentially.

A proper cellar has a daily steady temp, ideally 12 degrees celcius or thereabouts.

Ale should be cool not cold not warm.