Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

So you would rather live in India or China now than the Uk is that what you are saying? Or have I misunderstood. 

No - I'm saying that in general, the countries of India and China have more grounds to be optimistic about their relative future prospects than the UK has.

Edited by kent_white

16 minutes ago, kent_white said:

No - I'm saying that in general, the countries of India and China have more grounds to be optimistic about their relative future prospects than the UK has.

Fair enough. I can see what you are saying but would also say using what I think is your Logic the same could be said when comparing China and India to any of the countries in the EU? 
I wouldn’t want to live in India. China I would possibly go for a career opportunity/experience. 

But there are definitely some countries across the world I would go to live in rather than the UK from a lifestyle point of view. Career wise and prospect wise I don’t see, other than China due to the exponential growth, and possibly the US many better places for me to be. 

despite the fact that things aren’t all rosy at the moment ( Far from it) which I fully accept and it of course will have differing impacts on everyone. 

is brexit causing more issues than I thought? Yes Absolutely it is and I think it is down to the handling of the post split relationships by both sides which isn’t in anyone’s interests. I do believe it will be sorted though.

Is brexit adversely impacting me currently? Not really no. Time will tell what happens. 

• Site Supporter

As has been said

We get the leader we deserve.

He’ll keep being a liar whilst vast swathes of middle England continue to push their eager, baying tongues up his rectum.

You can’t blame him really. He’s basically become unaccountable.

37 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No, just pointing it out. 

fair enough

both sides spouted absolute bollocks all the way through their campaigns, sadly, it's what politicians do. These days though, it seems people would much rather the "other side" was wrong, than "their side" was right

9 minutes ago, Spider said:

As has been said

We get the leader we deserve.

He’ll keep being a liar whilst vast swathes of middle England continue to push their eager, baying tongues up his rectum.

You can’t blame him really. He’s basically become unaccountable.

and it's easy to do when you don't have any threat from the other side of the house

2 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

No, just pointing it out. 

These lies that get trotted out. Now, we all remeber the Michael 'We Hold All The Cards'' Gove  but what about Liam Fox who said this would be one of the easiest trade deals in human history, or the small white fibs about the border with ireland, or Lord Digby Jones with his ''not one single job will be lost because of Brexit''

I believe we were told we'd be individually poorer and hit the lowest income families (check) A sitting US president said there would be no special deal in place for the UK (check) That there would be no way the boarder with Ireland would work and overall this would ceratinly cause more rupture across the Union (check) money coming from the EU wasn't going to go directly to the NHS as the finanices simply don't work that way (check) That there would be problems in the supply chain for food (check)

The fact is 18 months after Brexit everyone was laughing their cocks off on the leave side saying, see - it was all Project Fear - it didn't come true, but what we are now seeing is funnily enough it takes time for these things to happen. I believe people said watch 1-2 years after we have actually withdrawn, and yes 18 months later certain issues are now coming to light.

31 minutes ago, Not in Crawley said:

These lies that get trotted out. Now, we all remeber the Michael 'We Hold All The Cards'' Gove  but what about Liam Fox who said this would be one of the easiest trade deals in human history, or the small white fibs about the border with ireland, or Lord Digby Jones with his ''not one single job will be lost because of Brexit''

I believe we were told we'd be individually poorer and hit the lowest income families (check) A sitting US president said there would be no special deal in place for the UK (check) That there would be no way the boarder with Ireland would work and overall this would ceratinly cause more rupture across the Union (check) money coming from the EU wasn't going to go directly to the NHS as the finanices simply don't work that way (check) That there would be problems in the supply chain for food (check)

The fact is 18 months after Brexit everyone was laughing their cocks off on the leave side saying, see - it was all Project Fear - it didn't come true, but what we are now seeing is funnily enough it takes time for these things to happen. I believe people said watch 1-2 years after we have actually withdrawn, and yes 18 months later certain issues are now coming to light.

Indeed, project fear is now project reality. The leave side said whatever was required to get gullible people to vote for them.  

45 minutes ago, Sweep said:

and it's easy to do when you don't have any threat from the other side of the house

Exaclty this.

This cacophony of shite was on thr cards the very moment that wally corbyn was elected Labour leader.

This is what you get without an opposition. 

A corrupt tory government lying their way through each day.

1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Who do you know that is Poorer specifically because of brexit? Apart from spider who doesn’t really like to talk about it. 

3 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Who do you know that is Poorer specifically because of brexit? Apart from spider who doesn’t really like to talk about it. 

Personally? Quite a few in my sector whose funding was directly effected, and also the prices of touring in Europe has now made it difficult to tour smaller shows, so cultural exports have been effected. Some performers I know have had issues with new comissions, it's an ongoing struggle.for the creative sector to be honest.

Issues with my old company as its french owned mean there was a forthcoming pay freeze before covid. Although they let my whole agency go so my sympathy doesn't hugely extend.

7 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

I am, or should be, as we lost a few customers......fortunately the huge IC shortage, is allowing me to more than over compensate for that lost trade. In the ideal world, I'd still have those EU based customers though, and be far better off than I actually am at the minute

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, Not in Crawley said:

Lord Digby Jones with his ''not one single job will be lost because of Brexit''

We have a deficit of workers, it seems. OK, they’re mainly jobs done by unskilled overseas types but still…

💣

Just now, Not in Crawley said:

Personally? Quite a few in my sector whose funding was directly effected, and also the prices of touring in Europe has now made it difficult to tour smaller shows, so cultural exports have been effected. Some performers I know have had issues with new comissions, it's an ongoing struggle.for the creative sector to be honest.

Issues with my old company as its french owned mean there was a forthcoming pay freeze before covid. Although they let my whole agency go so my sympathy doesn't hugely extend.

Yes but is the majority of the pain in that sector not covid related thus very difficult to pinpoint a specific cause? For example numbers of events Europe will be down due to covid anyway?

1 minute ago, Sweep said:

I am, or should be, as we lost a few customers......fortunately the huge IC shortage, is allowing me to more than over compensate for that lost trade. In the ideal world, I'd still have those EU based customers though, and be far better off than I actually am at the minute

I get it’s problematic but I’m more questioning the “we will all be poorer” statement as being gospel. 

i am Of course in no way belittling anybody that is struggling because of it other than spider. 

1 minute ago, Escobarp said:

I get it’s problematic but I’m more questioning the “we will all be poorer” statement as being gospel. 

i am Of course in no way belittling anybody that is struggling because of it other than spider. 

I get that, I suspect ultimately we won't be any poorer, or any better off. My guess is that we'll be "poorer" short term (10 years say) and then we'll get back to roughly where we were before. I'm not falling for these stories saying we'll descend into a pit of doom, equally I don't believe we'll be living in goldplated houses either

4 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

Yes but is the majority of the pain in that sector not covid related thus very difficult to pinpoint a specific cause? For example numbers of events Europe will be down due to covid anyway?

No, it was before covid around issues with visas and travelling props, equipment etc around the continent. So less people are doing it and therefore there is a significant shortfall. Given that the UK theatre sector generates around 10bn to the UK economy there has been pressure for further help for people who have lost income or companies that have folded or performers who are out of work.

It's a real life concern that again was all but ignored as needless worrying.