Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Politics

miamiwhite

1 hour ago, leigh white said:

Utter tripe, after the strike ended the tories started closing the most militant mines, and the ones remaining had money chucked at them so it made those look unproductive and closed them. Those scab pits in Notts who thought they would be safe all went down the road just the same.

Yes but W63 was there💪

1 hour ago, Whitesince63 said:

That’s bollocks white, there was no way back after the strike and what could have been a viable future for some mines never got the chance. I’m afraid the fact of the matter is that Scargill prematurely destroyed the industry with his actions, like it or not. Imported coal was just massively cheaper than any pit could produce it here which is why the pit closure programme was agreed in the first place. Silverwood and Maltby near me were two of the most efficient pits in the country but even they couldn’t compete. I don’t disagree it was a tragedy, Rotherham and surrounding towns and villages have been destroyed by the loss of coal and steel as well but its history now and given where we are with the net zero nutters, they’d be closing anyway.

How could importing coal from half way across the world to these shores be cheaper ?  Unless you get folk in power with a vested interest with shares at a company employing cheap labour at those places.

14 minutes ago, leigh white said:

How could importing coal from half way across the world to these shores be cheaper ?  Unless you get folk in power with a vested interest with shares at a company employing cheap labour at those places.

Didn’t we buy polish coal instead? For me it’s crazy making all our mines redundant and relying on foreign coal, even if it’s more expensive you would think it wise to keep some production here in UK. 

13 minutes ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Didn’t we buy polish coal instead? For me it’s crazy making all our mines redundant and relying on foreign coal, even if it’s more expensive you would think it wise to keep some production here in UK. 

Most self sufficient country going at one time, just a laughing stock now.

17 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

That’s bollocks white, there was no way back after the strike and what could have been a viable future for some mines never got the chance. I’m afraid the fact of the matter is that Scargill prematurely destroyed the industry with his actions, like it or not. Imported coal was just massively cheaper than any pit could produce it here which is why the pit closure programme was agreed in the first place. Silverwood and Maltby near me were two of the most efficient pits in the country but even they couldn’t compete. I don’t disagree it was a tragedy, Rotherham and surrounding towns and villages have been destroyed by the loss of coal and steel as well but its history now and given where we are with the net zero nutters, they’d be closing anyway.

The strike was because Maggie announced she was accelerating the agreed pit closure programme. This is historic fact once again. Maggie wanted to reduce the Unions power because of how they bought down Heaths Government when she stealing milk from kids. 
The fact she had the perfect fall guy as Scargill was a knobhead made them an obvious target. The mines were closing anyway in many areas to blame Scargill for this (or the acceleration) is nonsense.

This has been done to death of here and at one time I had a great article to link to that tells the whole story from a neutral stand point. As mentioned I actually agree the Unions power needed curbing Maggie did this. The only real debate is did she go too far and should more have been done to support the affected communities. 

With Talksport in Motty grieve mode I decided to have a mooch in to political talk radio type stuff.

Talk Radio and Mike Graham. Good lord above. Bloke spent all his show mocking the way Kier Starmer speaks and how hes nothing to substantiate his 5 point plan in his speech today. Its not his manifesto ffs, its just a speech. 

Him and his bunch of gammon callers are more outraged as to why hes no included the small boat problem in his plan than why its been allowed to get to this point in the first place. What a completely blinded, racists fucking oaf that guy is.

Switched to Times Radio. Not bad but cant help feel theres probably only me and a geordie bloke in a petrol station listening.