Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Preston 0-0 Wanderers

burnden

• Site Supporter

BN running a Looking Back article looking at the 93 win with a penalty from SJM.

The photo below was show and I was confused as hell. I was sure SJM scored in the Lever End goal.

Then I saw the writing.

Is Richard Rolon still Photo Editor?

Can't add photo but this is the link

Edited by MickyD

• Moderators

BN running a Looking Back article looking at the 93 win with a penalty from SJM.

The photo below was show and I was confused as hell. I was sure SJM scored in the Lever End goal.

Then I saw the writing.

Is Richard Rolon still Photo Editor?

Can't add photo but this is the link

even though it's back to front, it's still confusing...

pSd6ByT.jpg

Was that the game the train on way back to bolton was trashed and stopped at lostock?

Headline in the BEN next day was “Burnden fans face rail ban”. Thousands of pounds of damage done to train after we lost 1-0.

Was mad that day. A mate had smuggled a huge (glass) bottle of cider into the ground and had only just finished it when we had a goal disallowed. One of the other lads, as mild mannered a chap as you could meet, was so outraged he launched the bottle from the back of the terrace and we watched in horror as it smashed on the goalpost!

I remember looking out the train window on the way home and seeing seats, curtains, fire extinguishers etc all being tossed out of the carriages. Crazy days

• Members

Was mad that day. A mate had smuggled a huge (glass) bottle of cider into the ground and had only just finished it when we had a goal disallowed. One of the other lads, as mild mannered a chap as you could meet, was so outraged he launched the bottle from the back of the terrace and we watched in horror as it smashed on the goalpost!

I remember looking out the train window on the way home and seeing seats, curtains, fire extinguishers etc all being tossed out of the carriages. Crazy days

There have been plenty of them over the decades. Of the railway related ones the ones which stick in my mind most are leaving Bury station and someone torched the waiting room: a Bolton fan opening a carriage door as we whistled through a station on the way back from a Boxing Day game at Hillsborough which bowled a BR worker along a platform in some hick town like Stalybridge or similar: a bunch of skin girls getting on a train we were all on in the Midlands (I think we were heading to the south west if I remember rightly) and it turning into a mass grope fest which they were well up for (if I remember correctly, they were doing most of the groping!). Historic sex abuse right there. Alert the News Of The World.

I go up and down the country watching us, will be at Deepdale on Thursday afternoon on a course but last couple of seasons missed both Bury and this. Night games are a pain to get to really. We'll win tonight too

You could probably uber it and still have enough left for a kebab on the way home

I’m feeling the away win as well tonight Dave, get yourself there