Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Cyrille Regis

darrener

RIP. Apart from seeing him regularly on MOTD. Pretty sure one of the only times I recall actually seeing him was in a midweek league cup tie vs Coventry. Went to both legs, pretty sure he scored a screamer at Burnden. But could be wrong.

Aye, think he did. Also remember he gave Stubbs a bit of a pasting. Nothing nasty just far too strong for him

• Site Supporter

Good reason to show this again. Gerald Sinstadt said this was the best match he ever commentated on. I think we bought Cantello not long after.

I went to this game as ours was cancelled earlier in the day for frost and my dad blagged tickets from his mate (who's cousin was West Brom's Chairman). I tell you who else must've blagged tickets was Jim McDonagh and Neil McNab who sat near us. I was 12 and a bit starstruck and even though the game was fantasic I spent more time looking at Jim and Neil than i did at the game. I remember the performance of Big Cyrille and Cunningham but also the saves that Bailey made as I was a keen goalie. After the game my dad struck up conversation with Jim and I could hardly breathe. He asked him if he would have saved those couple of Hollywood saves that Bailey made and Jim said "Aye, and I could've saved the other five too! "