Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Today's Games

L/H White

More reasons why Ronaldo is better than Messi on shown this evening.

To be seen as the best you have to take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag your team through it.

Which Messi has done hundreds and hundreds of times, far too deep today surrounded by a joke of a team.

Edited by Didledee

To be seen as the best you have to take a game by the scruff of the neck and drag your team through it.

Yeah I have Ronaldo over Messi now too.

• Moderators

he's never done it at international level, but they've more than enough other quality players to get them by - it's not like the "average" argie side that maradona led to glory by being their best player by a mile, or that ronaldo did in the euros

this argentina team are like the england 04/06 team, loads of potential, but fuck all to show for it

Which Messi has done hundreds and hundreds of times, far too deep today surrounded by a joke of a team.

Messi at Barca has shown himself to be a very different beast to the national side Messi. A bit like a much better Sterling.

Ronaldo has been a machine for manyoo, real and Portugal for me that's what makes him a better player.

• Moderators

Messi at Barca has shown himself to be a very different beast to the national side Messi. A bit like a much better Sterling.

Ronaldo has been a machine for manyoo, real and Portugal for me that's what makes him a better player.

To be honest I don't think it's even up for debate anymore

Like Federer v nadal or djorkovic

Very good but still second best

I thought I had an outside chance of getting some money in the sweep with the Argies. Fuck that idea.

Was quite happy when I got them in the sweep at work. Could still go through though. Doubt it mind.

Loving the demise of the Argies, did we see Blobadonna in tears towards the end?

Justice pal.

Messi v Ronaldo? Ronaldo has done it in major international comps - Messi hasn't, so the winker is the winner imo.

When you say has done it in major international comps, do you mean just winning? because Messi was voted the best player of 2014 (my choice was James Rodriguez) and it's not like he doesn't perform for Argentina, was his hat trick that got them to the World Cup.

Argentina could easily have won that final v Germany and I think that's probably the game that stops people classing Messi has the greatest ever.

To be honest I don't think it's even up for debate anymore

Like Federer v nadal or djorkovic

Very good but still second best

I think the thing with Messi v Ronaldo, it's a very much in the moment/recent success thing, like last season, Messi outshone Ronaldo stats wise and his team were way ahead of Real, but then Ronaldo wins the Champions League and obiously Ronaldo atm is in better form in the World Cup.

If it's on who's won more 'major' comps recently it's Ronaldo, if it's who's the better player with the ball, then whilst Ronaldo is incredible he's not Messi, of course in the moment it's hard to say that given how poor Argentina look and  how Messi hasn't helped himself missing chances and a penalty.

Edited by Didledee

Was thinking that a while back.  Ronaldo will make an average team into a good one.  Not sure you can say that about Messi.

Bobby Charlton said Duncan Edwards was that kind of player.  Perhaps not the most popular comment to post on here but to think what England may have missed out on . . .

I'd rather watch Messi play though

Dunno why but i've never taken to Messi. Maybe its the hype, tiki-taka fanboys that make a mess of their bed over and generally a bit of stubborn bias against a very successful Barca team he plays for.

The lad is obviously one of the greatest footballers that we've seen. Yet when this discussions comes up i always have leaned towards "Winking Ronny". Its a grudging respect for the way he continues to score goals by the bucket-load, win the biggest trophies and amaze folk with his determination, professionalism and will to keep on winning.

Its a grudging respect for the way he continues to score goals by the bucket-load, win the biggest trophies and amaze folk with his determination, professionalism and will to keep on winning.

correct. the guy is an absolute machine

he will go down as the best goal scorer ever in my book. But, if there is one player id pay to watch (which i have done numerous times) and one player who has me on the edge of my seat whenever he gets the ball its Messi. the guy is simply sublime

their goal scoring stats are pretty comparable really but its his overall involvement in a game, assists, passes no one else can see, beating 4 or 5 men then Messi is on another planet

only other player ive seen that has had that impact on me was R9 

• Moderators

I think the thing with Messi v Ronaldo, it's a very much in the moment/recent success thing, like last season, Messi outshone Ronaldo stats wise and his team were way ahead of Real, but then Ronaldo wins the Champions League and obiously Ronaldo atm is in better form in the World Cup.

If it's on who's won more 'major' comps recently it's Ronaldo, if it's who's the better player with the ball, then whilst Ronaldo is incredible he's not Messi, of course in the moment it's hard to say that given how poor Argentina look and  how Messi hasn't helped himself missing chances and a penalty.

bit of both I reckon

right now people say Ronaldo because Messi has "gone quiet"

5 years ago you'd have said Messi because he was standing out for Barca at a time when everyone was looking at Spain and Barca as the best teams ever

but if you look at their whole careers, they are close -  Messi has more titles, Ronaldo has more CLs

look at individually, Ronaldo has more goals, hat tricks etc

since Ronaldo won the Euros (and there's no doubt he led them to the final even though he got injured in it), it objectively makes him the better player

as for who is better with the ball, that's subjective and depends on what you like to see - Messi can dribble and it's impossible to get him off it sometimes, but Ronaldo is a powerhouse who will destroy teams in a different way

both are good to watch, but I prefer the latter myself

when was the last time Messi scored a header eh

Looks like Messi is shit without players of the quality of Iniesta around him.

leading Argentine scorer in getting them to the final in 2014

leading scorer in the 2016 Copa America where they lost on pens in the final

leading scorer in 2018 qualification with a hat trick in the final game to get them there

leading Argentina scorer of all time

but ok 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.