Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Mental Health/Depression

MancWanderer

Reading this is an eye opener but also heartening that folk are talking about it 

Like most people I've seen mental health issues and alcohol abuse hit family members badly and been on the receiving end of the carnage it's caused, but touch wood, I've been lucky enough to personally avoid both.

4 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

My take on mental health issues: in November 2019 I was diagnosed with a condition, Ataxia, which affects around 10,000 in the UK, there are different versions and strains, the one I have is Sensory Ataxia, I was given 12 months to live, during tests and scans into the condition I was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung cancer and started chemo in March 2020, the start of lockdowns, believe me my head was in bits but I kept it pretty much to myself, I know I put stuff on FB when I was having the chemo and the words of hope from people was amazing, kept me going. I got the all clear in February 2021 from the cancer, the Ataxia was doing it's best to destroy my Central Nervous System rendering me almost unable to walk at all. On top of this I was told not to go in work as I was too vulnerable, work from home. Again my head was in bits, stuck at home day after day, at first my mates would ring or call round for a brew, that stops as they get bored, I didn't see anyone except my wife and daughter and her kids, I was drinking more and more and felt more and more depressed. My consultant said "we are winning because you are still here".                                    >>I went to Salford Royal on Saturday afternoon (yesterday) for more tests and again he was pleased to see me, next week I have my 5th dose of chemo because the cancer came back in March this year and the chemo started again, my brain is producing poisonous cells that are destroying my Nervous System, the chemo and steroids etc are doing their best to counteract everything, again he said "you really really shouldn't still be here". So for me I think I have handled my mental health reasonably well apart form the bout of heavy drinking, oh and I start a new job om 8th August which is also contributing to my mental health recovery. People are different so they react and act to handle it in their own way.                                                Sorry for the long post

Don’t be sorry for the long post mate. Good luck on everything going forward (job, chemo etc) you’ve had a shit time, which you seemed to have handled remarkably well and hopefully there’s some light for you at the end of the tunnel. 

Edited by royal white

21 minutes ago, athywhite1958 said:

My take on mental health issues: in November 2019 I was diagnosed with a condition, Ataxia, which affects around 10,000 in the UK, there are different versions and strains, the one I have is Sensory Ataxia, I was given 12 months to live, during tests and scans into the condition I was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung cancer and started chemo in March 2020, the start of lockdowns, believe me my head was in bits but I kept it pretty much to myself, I know I put stuff on FB when I was having the chemo and the words of hope from people was amazing, kept me going. I got the all clear in February 2021 from the cancer, the Ataxia was doing it's best to destroy my Central Nervous System rendering me almost unable to walk at all. On top of this I was told not to go in work as I was too vulnerable, work from home. Again my head was in bits, stuck at home day after day, at first my mates would ring or call round for a brew, that stops as they get bored, I didn't see anyone except my wife and daughter and her kids, I was drinking more and more and felt more and more depressed. My consultant said "we are winning because you are still here".                                    >>I went to Salford Royal on Saturday afternoon (yesterday) for more tests and again he was pleased to see me, next week I have my 5th dose of chemo because the cancer came back in March this year and the chemo started again, my brain is producing poisonous cells that are destroying my Nervous System, the chemo and steroids etc are doing their best to counteract everything, again he said "you really really shouldn't still be here". So for me I think I have handled my mental health reasonably well apart form the bout of heavy drinking, oh and I start a new job om 8th August which is also contributing to my mental health recovery. People are different so they react and act to handle it in their own way.                                                Sorry for the long post

You are some man, you’re mental strength is incredible… I applaud you and wish you all the very best and hope you are with us for a good few years yet. 

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, athywhite1958 said:

Don’t know you from Adam unlike some on here obviously do, but, from a stranger, great post, what you’ve handled is beyond my comprehension, my glass is raised to you keeping on winning 🍻

• Moderators
2 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

I bet you're going to Qatar as well are you 

13 minutes ago, Zico said:

I bet you're going to Qatar as well are you 

I've got a ticket for the final - if England get there, I've done now though, I'll go to some Bolton away games but that's it, the last 2 trips with England were 'eventful' to say the least, I'll be at Ipswich on Saturday 

1 hour ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Haven’t spent lots of time with Athywhite but this photo on trip to watch BWFC in Belfast always makes me smile… belting trip… fuck me was rough the next day. 

81180AAF-C124-42BC-981A-676F4FD37E40.jpeg

Not a pint of Guinness to be seen. Disgraceful performance😉

12 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

Keep on fighting pal. you old bastard :D 

• Site Supporter

It's great to see people talking but unfortunately lots will not. Which is absolutely horrid in itself. 

I'm in a much better place than I have been for a long time, I've come to terms with my demons, and that sometimes we just have to go with the flow. Took about 5 years, long time to live hating yourself. And thankfully I found avenues to vent. 

We've had an incident at work a few weeks ago with someone who didn't speak out, don't know if they didn't recognise the signs or had nobody to speak to, its hard to see signs with kids as their heads are usually all over the place at the best of times. Heart breaking that they had nobody to speak to and felt that was the only option. 

10 hours ago, Mounts Kipper said:

Haven’t spent lots of time with Athywhite but this photo on trip to watch BWFC in Belfast always makes me smile… belting trip… fuck me was rough the next day. 

81180AAF-C124-42BC-981A-676F4FD37E40.jpeg

whatever happened to Stuart? I havent seen him in years, top bloke. He shaved my eyebrow off in macedonia the fucker

20 hours ago, gonzo said:

Hows the mrs @LH white?

not to bad thanks mate

she did come home for 2 days, but was called back as her white blood cells were very low

its 7 weeks today shes been in

the abscess on her brain seems to be OK, she's got a MRI today to check the state of it

her speech is fully back to normal now, which is obviously a good sign

they had to give her 2 injections to get her cells back up, which they rarely do

since, she's had a massive reaction to it, blotches on her legs and arms, and her eyes and hands have swelled up

only been able to facetime for 2 weeks, as she was a massive risk to infection due to the cells being so low

they did put her in her own room to stop any infection, but caught covid within 2 days

we keep going

Edited by L/H White

13 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

what a man, always enjoying bumping into you for a natter wether it be at colls or bolton

keep going

20 minutes ago, L/H White said:

whatever happened to Stuart? I havent seen him in years, top bloke. He shaved my eyebrow off in macedonia the fucker

I’m still in touch with him now and again, he’s moved to North Cyprus. He’s top fella and one rum bloke, Ex Salford Rugby pro as well. 

Hope the wife is home soon and fully recovered. 

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

I’m still in touch with him now and again, he’s moved to North Cyprus. He’s top fella and one rum bloke, Ex Salford Rugby pro as well. 

Hope the wife is home soon and fully recovered. 

funny you say that, I remeber him being on the phone in the hotel discussing buying land, great bloke, did many aways with him around the time we used the walkden buses from the labour club

thanks pal

Just now, L/H White said:

funny you say that, I remeber him being on the phone in the hotel discussing buying land, great bloke, did many aways with him around the time we used the walkden buses from the labour club

thanks pal

He bought a lot of land in N.Cyprus built himself big villa with pool, had issues building on the rest of the land, think he gave the land ownership to his daughter. He usually comes over and takes game in during August however I’m never here in August so not seen him for a few years. 

• Members
14 hours ago, athywhite1958 said:

Great stuff Ricky. Will be with our mutual friend early and late August and we'll be raising a glass to your fighting spirit mate.

• Members

Little lad is one today and I'm a mixed bag of emotions looking back on the past year with him here and how much mine and the kids lives have changed. I'm a million times happier, but fuck me thinking of the future is scary. Just wish I could switch my mind off sometimes.