Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Colchester (H)

farnworth white

3 hours ago, Whitesince63 said:

With two games in four days and a short week since last weekends match, I anticipate quite a few changes for Friday to preserve bodies and illustrate the value of our extended squad. I think IE will save his key players for Monday, so with Colchester likely to sit in and defend, I can see the likes of Doyle, Lee and even Baptiste rested. I also expect Fonz to be replaced by Arthur, Delaney in for Baps and Miller in for Doyle with Maddison taking the wide right position. If it’s not working, then if they’re on the bench they can be brought on if needed, which is why I don’t expect to see Jensen there again. To be honest, whatever team IE plays on Friday, we should have too much for Colchester and that’s not being over confident or dismissive, just confident in the squad we have. Hopefully, if we get 6 points over the weekend, I can’t see anyone stopping us.

I don’t reckon he’ll make that many changes in total in all remaining games, injuries allowing.

As with others, I reckon it’s Thomason out and someone in, and wouldn’t be surprised if the same team starts Friday, Monday then the following weekend.

• Members
3 hours ago, Ani said:

Surely we start the best 11 and hopefully rest players if we have scored more than the usual 1 😁 

Only one I might rest for one of the three games is Lee given his recentish injury record.  

I’d be tempted to rest him Friday and play him on Monday 

However I’m a firm believer that play your best side game by game 

Get the job done and rest players which I think he’ll do 

I accept the “keep the same team” bit and “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” but I still think IE will make a few changes on Friday to keep the fringe players happy and first team fit. It’s not about dismissing Colchester but that there will be plenty of games now until the end of the season and we need a fully operating squad, not just eleven. We may see a slightly different shape for this one and it could be the perfect re introduction for Mads and to rest Lee for Monday?

Edited by Whitesince63

44 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I accept the “keep the same team” bit and “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it” but I still think IE will make a few changes on Friday to keep the fringe players happy and first team fit. It’s not about dismissing Colchester but that there will be plenty of games now until the end of the season and we need a fully operating squad, not just eleven. We may see a slightly different shape for this one and it could be the perfect re introduction for Mads and to rest Lee for Monday?

I think a lot will depend on the stats that are coming out of training and any knocks or niggles players are carrying. Would be a lot easier if games were other way round. Friday - Monday is the same as Sat -Tues in terms of recovery and we seem to have coped with that. 

3 games in 9 days does challenge the concept of 'one game at a time' but personally favour getting best team out. Mr Megson showed us resting players is not always a good thing. Just have to trust IE and the coaching staff to get it right. 

• Site Supporter
1 minute ago, Ani said:

Just have to trust IE and the coaching staff to get it right. 

Because of our upturn in form and results I think fans are becoming more trusting. Earlier on in the season some fans really struggled to comprehend IEs decisions and were criticising every decision he made.

I hope now the large majority of us will trust his decision making and won’t jump on him the moment a bad result/performance comes.

I can see both scenarios, of resting some or keeping the strongest 11 out there consistently. Like you say Ani only IE and the coaching staff will really know the vital stats to inform their decision making. Whichever way he goes shouldn’t be criticised. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

He's earned our support & patience. He certainly hadn't up to January. 

Still does odd, inexplicable things, such as no sub keeper. Let's see if last week has changed matters.

But, yes, this run will end, hopefly around October. It's important we are cool with that.

October 2022, whilst top of the Championship after the first round of games? I would be cool with that 😎

Colchester haven't score in any of their last 9 away league games - last scored in 1-2 defeat at Cambridge on Dec 8th.

Of those 9 games 4 were 0-0. Last 2 aways were 0-0.

So.....

They're gonna park the bus on Friday.....

BWFC 1

Colchester 0

If we're still 0-0 at halftime we'll need to be patience...... some on here will struggle with that though.....

COYFWM

5 hours ago, desperado said:

Because of our upturn in form and results I think fans are becoming more trusting. Earlier on in the season some fans really struggled to comprehend IEs decisions and were criticising every decision he made.

I hope now the large majority of us will trust his decision making and won’t jump on him the moment a bad result/performance comes.

I can see both scenarios, of resting some or keeping the strongest 11 out there consistently. Like you say Ani only IE and the coaching staff will really know the vital stats to inform their decision making. Whichever way he goes shouldn’t be criticised. 

I totally trust IE Desperado and as you say, so should most supporters and whatever team he puts out will have been thought through and considered. My only thoughts were that with games coming up thick and fast again to the end of the season, he may take Friday to rest one or two. I think we can expect Colchester to park the bus, so it may be an opportunity to rest the likes of Lee and even possibly Baps and put a couple of more attacking players on instead. They would always be on the bench anyway if things so wrong but I do believe IE may be looking to give some of the fringe players minutes where he can and this may be one game he can do that?

Edited by Whitesince63

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

I totally trust IE Desperado and as you say, so should most supporters and whatever team he puts out will have been thought through and considered. My only thoughts were that with games coming up thick and fast again to the end of the season, he may take Friday to rest one or two. I think we can expect Colchester to park the bus, so it may be an opportunity to rest the likes of Lee and even possibly Baps and put a couple of more attacking players on instead. They would always be on the bench anyway if things so wrong but I do believe IE may be looking to give some of the fringe players minutes where he can and this may be one game he can do that?

I might be completely wrong, but i think youre miles off

We shall see, i suppose

29 minutes ago, jmjhb said:

He wasn't really theirs to sack, he's been sent back to Colchester's feeder team so the arrangement was always going to be temporary

Which is whom ?

Still means a third man in charge in the season & second in 5 weeks. It can't help.

Edited by Dr. Feelgood

44 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

FFS - give it a rest - we know you want IE to rest players on Friday - you dont have to keep banging on about it 

1 hour ago, bwfc2003 said:

FFS - give it a rest - we know you want IE to rest players on Friday - you dont have to keep banging on about it 

he really is full of it. Rest 2 of our best players in recent games change a winning team to give fringe players a chance? You would almost think he doesnt want to win the game. 

I think we should be unchanged, Thomason included but if IE sees someone (Lee) needs resting that's fair enough he knows players and we do have 2 games in quick succession but i doubt he will be changing much or throwing squad players in from the start