Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

have you ever been on a protest march?

Underpants

I've been on one. About 7 years ago when the then Labour led Bolton Council tryed to ague it would be a good idea to build a concrete cycle track (they sexed it up and called it a Velodrome) on Leverhulme Park.

The protest made the BN and the pictures had me front and centre. They eventually ditched the idea. No civil disobedience and no motorists or cyclists were inconvenienced 🧑‍🌾

#rageagainstthemachine

When Horwich works was closing down we all went marching round London, everyone was drunk well before they got there, managers included.

There were thousands there from other works all over the country, all having a good day out on the lash.

Didn't do a scrap of good for the outcome.

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Yep, against Barratt's building on Birtenshaw fields.

Only because I wanted to finger a girl I knew was on it too though.

I bet there's folk in birtenshaw homes who have objected to further developments

3 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

‘We’ll not retreat, till Barratt’s are beat’

I wonder if some protestors are still there then?

Probably bought houses on there. 

And as others have said... Then moaned about newer developments in BL7

• Members
54 minutes ago, DazBob said:

Yep, against Barratt's building on Birtenshaw fields.

Only because I wanted to finger a girl I knew was on it too though.

Reminds me of a always sunny in Philadelphia episode where they go to an abortion protest to pick up women 

When  I was a kid I was on a date with a girl walking to the cinema in bolton when we got caught up in a poll tax march.. loads of shouting and people aggressively telling a couple of kids to agree with them.. afterwards we watched honey I shrunk the kids ..... there was no second date

• Site Supporter

Never been on a protest apart from being in one when delivering equipment to said Birtenshaw development and a few other controversial ones over the years . 
we were only supplying the plant and had to go on a few times for services / breakdowns etc 
Waggon  got a brick through the window at Birtenshaw and hurt the lad driving and later on in the week the girls in the shop opposite wouldn’t serve us simply because we were working there, telling us we were disgusting scum and all sorts. I wanted 20 regal and a can of coke…
dickheads sitting on the tracks of the machine too then whining like bitches when I moved it and telling the police 😁
I know why people felt strongly about it but I wanted them to build tower blocks there after that experience 

I haven't been on one but I went to observe not a march but a protest on Albert Square over sommat, perhaps some further involvement in the Middle-East, a bombing over breach of sanctions of sommat...

I went with a couple of right-on ma...acquaintances.

It was the usual ragtag of middle-class do-gooders in Tog-24 jackets and hiking boots, dreadlocked crusties and Banner Carrying Union Folk...

I did get a cracking picture of an old-ish dyed-in the wool Commie, still ginger haired and bearded despite his age, clad entirely in Roy Cropper style grey - including flat cap and sensible grey padded nylon overcoat and with a Red Tabard/Vest with a Yellow Hammer and Sickle on it - I caught him on camera gesturing an 'over there' type gesture to I presume his granddaughter, that looked exactly like a Nazi salute, juxtaposing nicely amongst all the Commie stuff.

The granddaughter was quite attractive and looked put out, probably would've preferred to be mooching around St. Ann's Square perusing capitalist scum Emporia for Jimmy Koo or Hermies baubles and trinkets...

We only hung around forty minutes or so and adjourned on a pub crawl instead.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Site Supporter

Well if we're counting protests where you didn't protest I'll claim being in London with wife and kids. 

Having failed to do any homework regarding protests in and around Parliament,  I was unaware of the large crowd coming towards us on Westminster Bridge until I heard the faint sound of...

E.. 

E...

EDL

My mum and stepdad moved onto Birtenshaw, after living in Sharples. A year or two after there was another NIMBY campaign against a planning application for an Indian restaurant, think it was near Bromley Cross station. Loads of opposition but my stepdad wrote to the BEN in favour. Counter letters declaring the opinions of "outsiders" are invalid. Just a little bitter. 

Incidentally Colin Todd also lived just down the street. 

3 hours ago, Sweep said:

I've never been on one, probably because I've never had or known a cause that I care enough about to make the effort for

Same here

Got caught up in one late 80s in Manc. Me and my mate hopped on the train in Warrington to go to Manc for a few afternoon beers. Walked straight into a Gay Rights March or summat similar. Obvs everyone assumed two blokes together were there for the march and were trying to drag us into it. All light-hearted at first but Christ it got a bit moody when we refused. Nothing like the crowd you’d get at Pride, more like bumping into a massive gathering of 80s casuals

Half of them probably WERE 80's Casuals...

Exchanged their gold stud for a Right Said Fred hooped earring, on the left ear meaning 'wicketkeeper' not 'bowler'...

Sergio Tacchini trackie top exchanged for neon singlet, Lois Cords for neon lycra Bike shorts, argyle socks and Forest Hills for white towelling socks and shiny clumpy dress shoes - Andy Bell stylee.

Not so much Green Street as Canal Street.

The signs are always there - horseshoe theory...

Fastidious about clobber - tick.

Spends the weekend taking drugs and getting drunk with other men, dancing & hugging and kissing each other, often declaring love - tick.

Sharing hotel rooms, nay, hotel beds - tick.

The line is so fine...

Coming next: Casual culture and homosexuality- Two Worlds collide.

That lad who worked for the prison service knows that thesis ^.

His mate wrote it.

Edited by Youri McAnespie