Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Portsmouth (A)

Cheese

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was pinned
On 12/02/2023 at 13:58, Breightmet Boy said:

3 tickets for this popped through my letterbox whilst I was in Peterborough.  As per usual I'm not predicting the result, but they're on free fall at the moment, just hope we can keep this momentum going.

That didn't last unfortunately!  Won 4 of last 8.  2 defeats, away at Plymouth and Peterboro and 2 draws v in-form Barnsley and at Lincoln (who always draw at home).  Only conceded 1 goal (to Barnsley) in 4 home games.  We never win there so I'll take a draw and no injuries to key players.

Another tough fixture and we'll need to be a lot better than we were on Saturday to get a win at their place IMO. They seem to be well over their blip but we need to keep the pressure on our rivals. With Ipswich and Sheff Wednesday coming up we could do with the breathing space so we can go into those games looking up instead of over our shoulders. It's getting towards the business end of the season so we need to show our class over the next four games starting tomorrow because there's a two week break after that and we don't want to give any of the chasing teams a glimmer of hope. Win please.

It’s a tough ask but we really do need a win on Tuesday to have any hopes of the automatics, which after recent results I still think are achievable. I’ve said all along that I believe Plymouth will stumble (sorry genie 🥴) and I still believe it so if we can get a result at places like Portsmouth who knows? Certainly we’ll have to be better than we were on Saturday and as I said in the previous post (Oops sorry Wanderlust said!! 😉) Pompey seem to be picking up again now. If we play to our strengths we can win this but it certainly will be a tough one.

Evatt has said we're flying the team down to the south coast for this one. Well done the board for shelling out at a key moment and cutting out the nightmarish M6, M42, M40, A34 etc.

Saturday was clearly hard going after Wednesday and we will need to keep them as fresh as possible. I guess IE already has in mind the changes he'll make between Pompey and Morecambe unless injuries intervene. Key decisions in sequences like this.