Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Micro-naps while driving

Underpants

Anyone had one behind the wheel? I proper shat myself yesterday when I had one. Took the wing mirror clean off. It silently creeps up on you. If you feel fatigue kicking in then pull the fuck over and take a break. Better being late than not arriving at all. There's no better way to put it but it was a wake-up call for me. Never again!

• Site Supporter

I’d hazard a guess the vast majority of us have done it. Not a great feeling when you realise you’ve just done it.

pisses me off you only get a couple of hours free parking at services if you need a kip. 4 hours should be plenty though

Company I used to work for in England were a bit tight and reluctant to put you up in a hotel for meetings. Net result is they'd expect you to drive say 3-4 hours for a 1-2 hour meeting then drive back. Not totally sure if that's even legal. 

This was always an issue for me, tried red bull and still had to stop at services due to tiredness. 

• Members
13 hours ago, Underpants said:

Anyone had one behind the wheel? I proper shat myself yesterday when I had one. Took the wing mirror clean off. It silently creeps up on you. If you feel fatigue kicking in then pull the fuck over and take a break. Better being late than not arriving at all. There's no better way to put it but it was a wake-up call for me. Never again!

Get yourself checked for sleep apnoeia mate. Almost certain that you'll have it.

Then it's either a CPAP machine (horrible fucking things) to gently inflate your windpipe under light pressure whilst you sleep or a fairly intrusive and unpleasant stint under the knife removing tonsils and excavating loose flesh from around your larynx area. The CPAP people reckon the op is no good as you may have to repeat it 5 years or so on. I reckon they are just talking self interested shite to maintain the opulent lifestyle to which they have become accustomed due to their (what must be) platinum coated machines.

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter
6 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Company I used to work for in England were a bit tight and reluctant to put you up in a hotel for meetings. Net result is they'd expect you to drive say 3-4 hours for a 1-2 hour meeting then drive back. Not totally sure if that's even legal. 

This was always an issue for me, tried red bull and still had to stop at services due to tiredness. 

Your employers would expect you to drive safely. You already said you couldn't do the drive home without stopping at the services. But that's part and parcel of a long drive home. Your drive; your fault, I'm afraid.

Fire Service was exempted from the driving hours regulations. That means on particularly busy night shifts (15 hours) you could be expected to work for the full 15 hours where situations dictate.

5 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

Many companies aren't aware that if you have an accident whilst on company business and there are fatalities, if you are proven guilty, then your employer could be liable for corporate manslaughter charges. I was driving 30k+ miles a year and it got the point some days I was leaving home at 4.30am to drive to London to have a full day of meetings then I was expected to drive back often arriving home at 10.30pm. Some days I knew I would be a danger on the road so I just booked into a hotel as I always had an overnight bag in the boot and reminded my boss of the company's liability and he didn't question me after that. 

6 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

I think it is 

My old company wouldn’t let you expense more than a certain amount of miles in a day, sure it was 300 or 350 

As a side note, if folk are wondering what’s wrong with productivity then that’s a prime example, a day gone for the sake of a short meeting, it’s not doing traffic congestion any good either. Virtual meetings can sort that out very easily these days 

• Site Supporter

Glad you mentioned that. Is technology properly embraced these days? Traffic gets worse, and so much seems to be single people in cars.

Been there and hated it.

Was stuck in rush hour traffic the other day, must have been 20-25 minutes to do a couple of miles back from town.

No wonder folk are knackered, grumpy and short of sleep.

Never properly fell asleep but that heavy eye feeling when driving is awful. Hate it. 

As above the traffic nowadays is shocking. Use M6 most days and it drives me mad. Places need to let more work from home and virtual meetings etc...

What a waste of time that millions of people drive to sit in an office and send out emails all day/answer phones - when they could do that just as easily at home. 

• Moderators

touch wood never even come close to falling a sleep, even after something like a 5 day bender with no sleep, not sure what it is, but as soon as I'm driving I have no inclination to shut my eyes or feel I have to - that's not to say I've not driven when tired, and I've defintely zoned out and gone into auto pilot, but never felt inclined to pull over for a nap or anything, I only stop at services if I need a piss

whereas I know folk who will pull in and pay for a travel lodge fir a few hours  if they start feeling tired driving cross country

1 hour ago, Smiley said:

Lob your chopper out and smash one out - that'll keep you awake and alert. 

Just remember that your windscreen rag that you keep in the door panel needs washing before your next outing.

Jobs a good 'un.

That should be on them signs on motorways, without doubt. "FEELING TIRED? LOB YOUR CHOPPER OUT".