Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Challengers next season?

DomRepWanderer

51 minutes ago, Zico said:

pretty much sums Reading up, remember looking at their squad last season and thinking they could be dark horses if all these once decent players could still perform

Tom Ince
Shane Long
Sam Hutchison
Naby Sarr
Andy Carroll
Jeff Hendrick
Scott Dann
Junior Hoilett

but they didn't, they got relegated

Walcott is probably going to make no difference either

Don't suppose the points deduction helped.  After half the season, 23 games, they were joint 7th!  Strange league, Luton and Coventry were 14th and 15th, Huddersfield bottom and Birmingham also joint 7th.  Other than top 2 anyone could beat anyone.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Don't suppose the points deduction helped.  After half the season, 23 games, they were joint 7th!  Strange league, Luton and Coventry were 14th and 15th, Huddersfield bottom and Birmingham also joint 7th.  Other than top 2 anyone could beat anyone.

Didn't realise they'd had points deducted 

On paper could've done better 

In reality had ince managing them

On 03/07/2023 at 16:09, TrickyTrotter said:

Reading currently only 7 senior players on the books and just given pro contracts to 9 youngsters.  Another points deduction on the way potentially as well.  Walcott's been training with them, but won't be cheap or worth it.

That explains how they were beaten 5-0 by Torquay over weekend 

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Reading have had their transfer embargo reinstated today for not paying HMRC again this month, a few weeks after they settled the previous winding up order with HMRC.  

In the shit with 10 days to the start of the season.

Embargo reinstated days after they've just signed a few players, including Lewis Whing who I'd have been happy to see here. They're taking the piss. Minus 10 points please! 

10 hours ago, TrickyTrotter said:

Reading have had their transfer embargo reinstated today for not paying HMRC again this month, a few weeks after they settled the previous winding up order with HMRC.  

In the shit with 10 days to the start of the season.

Bloke I work with felt they were full steam ahead. This is interesting.

Just now, Mounts Kipper said:

Bod stays fit 15

Gomes 10 

Charles 15-20

vic 10

Dempsey, Morley, Sheehan, Ndulu, 4-8

that’s without defenders chipping in, we will score plenty. 

I like your confidence 

isn't bod already injured?

didn't see enough of vic to suggest he'll get 10

hopefully gomes fires 

• Site Supporter

On the verge of signing that geezer from Exeter, banged 15 in 38 last season.

Made some decent signings to be fair, not sure how many I would take though. I still back us to improve between now and 1st September and we're already pretty good for the division

37 minutes ago, Wanderlust said:

BN article about the possibility of players leaving (Decberto in the frame for many) had me thinking that it would only happen if we made signings. Are all squad positions occupied now or is there any wriggle room?

Did somebody say we are on 23 first team squad players, and isnt that the max ,  not sure.   

Surely a telling sign was John and sadlier not making the bench on Tuesday, frees up 2 and then we all have in our heads what we need ,  a holding midfielder and a.n other,  I think we would need to get rid of a striker before signing one.

1 minute ago, W.cramp said:

Did somebody say we are on 23 first team squad players, and isnt that the max ,  not sure.   

Surely a telling sign was John and sadlier not making the bench on Tuesday, frees up 2 and then we all have in our heads what we need ,  a holding midfielder and a.n other,  I think we would need to get rid of a striker before signing one.

Yeah 23 but 22 if Johnston out for the season if we don’t register him as a squad player.