Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre-Season

desperado

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, gonzo said:

Im as pro Evatt and Markham as anyone and fully believe they will have plans in place, but we cant go in to this season with this current sqaud, playing the same way we did last season if we want to be up there punching.

Im pretty sure everyone at the club realises this and probably doesnt need saying.

Yep.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/23658210.bolton-wanderers-boss-ian-evatt-eyeing-five-new-signings/

“We all know the positions that we are light in. But we have to be patient and target the right ones.

“We can’t panic. We have to be sure with what we are doing and mitigate the risk as much as we possibly can. That is what we have done so far, been as diligent as we possibly can be, and because of that a couple of things haven’t happened but we are doing right by this football club.

“That is what we have always said we are going to do.”

First half good, George was excellent and we had lots of opportunities. We simply can’t score though. Corner after corner after corner. 

Second half was very very poor although we did bring a couple of kids on.

George is the only one in the team who opens his mouth on the pitch. They’re so bloody quiet. 

It’s far too early to panic but as we all know we need strengthening in quite a few areas.

Edited by captainmed

14 hours ago, TroySwoosh said:

RUReady2moan and Radcliffe White are the same person, both whinge one after the other all the time 🤔

They even have the same Avatar 👁️‍🗨️

It’s not a whinge

It’s my take after watching a game

what do you want me to say? that was a belting game created loads and our strikers are lethal, that better

thats the problem on here you say anything remotely negative and it’s a moan or whinge 

Edited by radcliffe white

I don’t get why folk don’t see that our strikers who were pants last season will be pants again. They just aren’t goal scorers. Their career stats show they aren’t goal scorers . It’s not moaning it’s a fact. 

5 minutes ago, Big E said:

I don’t get why folk don’t see that our strikers who were pants last season will be pants again. They just aren’t goal scorers. Their career stats show they aren’t goal scorers . It’s not moaning it’s a fact. 

Spot on my thoughts entirely 300.000 for Dan 500,000 for Vic waste of money . 

We could have Haaland up too and we’d score less than Exeter. The way we play dictates this. We don’t shoot unless it’s a dead cert.

Im not convinced on Vic yet but we know he can do it at this level. I rate Dan but not banking on 20 goals.

For me as things stand I’d go Charles and Bod up top. 

This has to fall squarely at Evatts door as the obsession with gengepress crap and our strikers play as midfielders was probably best seen in Doyle. Was mental then and it’s mental now. 

He won’t change so it’s a pointless argument.

16 hours ago, passmosster said:

If that same talent spotter that brought us Jerome and Adeboyejo in January is still at work, we've got problems. Terrible waste of £1m and plenty of wages no doubt.

Not forgetting one goal Dan.

When a club has a player on loan for half a season and his output is mediocre to  useless, it's an odd decision to sign him permanently

Vic & Jerome looked so lethargic yesterday these type of games are perfect for a player’s confidence bagging a few

maybe as the pre season opposition improves so will they but I doubt it

Think most have said though it’s the lack of creativity behind them that’s the problem let’s see who evatt brings in 

Whether I'm being negative or what I couldn't care less, all I can say is that I've watched us last week against Bamber Bridge and yesterday Vs Chester, pre season or not, I'm genuinely concerned for the season ahead.

We know we are weaker, yes defensively and with the keepers we've recruited have been okay. But missed top targets and have the exact same forward line up as last season.

Charles and Bodvarsson I like, but that 2nd half with Victor and Jerome up top, they both looked like they were players from a National League North side.

Victor has missed big chances in both the friendly games I've seen and struggled against non league centre halves.

We know we need some defensive midfielder and possibly another RWB, but good god I our attacking midfield and final third needs better quality. 

Edited by Lostock Whites

23 minutes ago, Roger_Dubuis said:

Not forgetting one goal Dan.

When a club has a player on loan for half a season and his output is mediocre to  useless, it's an odd decision to sign him permanently

Gyokeres only scored 3 for Coventry when they loaned him in January

16 minutes ago, Lostock Whites said:

Whether I'm being negative or what I couldn't care less, all I can say is that I've watched us last week against Bamber Bridge and yesterday Vs Chester, pre season or not, I'm genuinely concerned for the season ahead.

We know we are weaker, yes defensively and with the keepers we've recruited have been okay. But missed top targets and have the exact same forward line up as last season.

Charles and Bodvarsson I like, but that 2nd half with Victor and Jerome up top, they both looked like they were players from a National League North side.

Victor has missed big chances in both the friendly games I've seen and struggled against non league centre halves.

We know we need some defensive midfielder and possibly another RWB, but good god I our attacking midfield and final third needs better quality. 

You lost me when you said bamber bridge and Chester. Not arsed whether your being negative or not but to base anything on those 2 games is bangers.

4 minutes ago, Big E said:

To be fair you have to worry if they aren’t bagging in these surely? I really hope I am wrong but I think it’s gonna be another slog of a season. Dreading playing Wigan already 

No. Lack of goals last season is fair enough. These games I never read anything into.  

My expectations are low compared to most after last season where in my opinion we failed.

As for Wigan until matchday i rarely give them a second thought

Just now, Lt. Aldo Raine said:

I think I've mentioned before but when Vic was doing well at Burton Albion he was playing as the one up front rather than in a two

I can't help but wonder if that's got something to do ith his performances for us so far

Reckon he didn’t have to run the channels and defend as much at Burton. That would be my guess.