Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Peterborough (H)

captainmed

Given up predicting scores after Saturday’s debacle. All comes down to how we perform and tbh that’s impossible to guess, we are so variable.

Currently in Tenerife on a stag do so not able to think about footie - or anything else for that matter - but did have to have a little chat with an annoying Tic. 

On 19/09/2023 at 09:56, Johnnyrotten said:

If it helps, and this isn't a dig at Charles because these stats surprise me given how many Charles does score, but...

Last season 17th Dec was the first time Charles scored a goal from open play in a game we won.  Last time he scored a home league goal from open play was v FGR in January.  Since then we've won a lot of home games and course he contributes even when not scoring, but we've had to rely on others to score, except the pen v Derby.  Top home scorer since FGR is Vic with 5, then 2 each for Sheehan, Dempsey and OGs!  7 different defenders have scored 1 each.  So maybe a myth we need Charles to score our goals, I'd agree for away games but not home, not that I can explain why that should be the case. 

Suppose he's more likely to get chances and space away, where home teams are a bit busier trying to win and leave the back door open a bit. He had a lot of frustrating days last year watching us pass it backwards and sideways in front of a massed defence. Having said that, if he doesn't play he won't contribute in those other ways that enable others to score 

42 minutes ago, ianofcleveleys said:

Suppose he's more likely to get chances and space away, where home teams are a bit busier trying to win and leave the back door open a bit. He had a lot of frustrating days last year watching us pass it backwards and sideways in front of a massed defence. Having said that, if he doesn't play he won't contribute in those other ways that enable others to score 

Yes its definitely a different game away from home, especially when the scores are still level and the home team aren't parking the bus.  I don't recall many chances for Charles at home like the one at Reading, just 1 defender to beat, and a cracking finish.   

But that stat from Iles in the BN that we hadn't scored without Charles on the pitch was a very poor, fairly meaningless one, that seemed to cause unnecessary alarm given that there are 5 others.  I wonder if he'll repeat the fact if Jones, Williams, Vic, JDC or Dempsey miss a game!

2 hours ago, desperado said:

Bit of positivity - let’s dispel an age old myth…

We have a decent record in the most recent family day games!

Last 4 family day games

Accrington W3-1
Charlton W3-1
Exeter W2-0
Cambridge D1-1

Let’s continue the trend! 

Boooooooooooo!

Fuck off with your facts, this is no place for them. 😉

Surely if Charles was going to be out we’d have heard by now wouldn’t we? I think Evatt’s just keeping everyone guessing and I fully expect him to play, even if he does need a bit of a pain killer for the shoulder. I think we’ll be back on track after last weeks cock up so I’ll go for a 2-0 win for the mighty whites. Iredale to return to LCB and hopefully Williams can do the 90 minutes this time? Coggers never seems to have a problem and he does every bit as much running as Williams does.

10 minutes ago, Whitesince63 said:

Surely if Charles was going to be out we’d have heard by now wouldn’t we? I think Evatt’s just keeping everyone guessing and I fully expect him to play, even if he does need a bit of a pain killer for the shoulder. I think we’ll be back on track after last weeks cock up so I’ll go for a 2-0 win for the mighty whites. Iredale to return to LCB and hopefully Williams can do the 90 minutes this time? Coggers never seems to have a problem and he does every bit as much running as Williams does.

Got to be Forrester at LCB Iredale is shit !