Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Francis Lee

gonzo

• Site Supporter
2 minutes ago, Rizlar said:

Great penalty taker also had a company in Bolton making toilet rolls made a tidy sum out of it .

That’s right. Started at Moses Gate I think. One of his employees was Fred Eyre, poor footballer but a great raconteur of after dinner speeches.

My Dad reckons he's still the bloke who has scored the most pens for Bolton in our history. "He won most of them himself, often dubiously", he says.

Well before my time but clearly him and Freddie Hill were the bright sparks in what was otherwise a pretty drab decade for BWFC in the 60s

RIP.

43 minutes ago, RUREADY2ROLL said:

Was at Anfield in 1967 when he put us 1-0 up in the league cup but Peter Thomson equalised- beat them 3-2 in the reply. Me and another kid was in the boys pen and was lucky to get out alive after he celebrated our goal. 13 year old

Love memories like this.

• Site Supporter
1 hour ago, FrancisFogarty said:

That’s right. Started at Moses Gate I think. One of his employees was Fred Eyre, poor footballer but a great raconteur of after dinner speeches.

Used to run laundrettes,  my dad was an apprentice for him in the 70s going fixing his washing machines and dryers. 

Fantastic player, a true legend and I still remember the day he damaged his cruciate against Everton in that snowy Christmas match. It also cost the club because he was all lined up for a big money move which obviously never transpired and we got nothing like the same when he went to City. RIP Franny the best penalty taker I’ve ever seen.