Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Northampton H

DomRepWanderer

1 hour ago, radcliffe white said:

Cameron Jerome will work his magic on him big influence apparently 

I know you're being silly, BUT.

Second half, Jerome was "warming up" on WSL and appeared to be shouting orders at Bod and Dan, like an attacking coach. 

If Jerome can actually share some wisdom from his better days, that's not a bad thing to have. If it means he doesn't play, even better!

3 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

Second half, Jerome was "warming up" on WSL and appeared to be shouting orders at Bod and Dan, like an attacking coach. 

If Jerome can actually share some wisdom from his better days, that's not a bad thing to have. If it means he doesn't play, even better!

We’d need Jesus Christ running down the touchline to get a tune out of that pair at the minute. 

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

He has said that before, but it's a bit weak.

Especially if the other strikers aren't cutting it.

It's too simplistic- he doesn't seem willing to tinker with formation or personnel to suit the situation. 

Always the same subs irrespective. 

For example, if we're starting to lose the midfield battle, then why not put an extra body in there?

Even the great SAF would swallow his pride and change things as necessary. 

Aye, it's bollocks 

You can do all that and still have a keeper on the bench

3 hours ago, Arrested development said:

They ran around him second half like he wasn't there. He just gets pissed off, that's not leadership.  Couldn't lead an under 11s team. Nobody including Lego head has any ounce of leadership in that team. Wilt under any sort of pressure. 

Spot on, as a manager this is one of the main things holding Evatt and us back. Not one real captain in the entirety of our team.

Evatt is constantly barking instructions but you barely see anyone in our entire team even talk to each other. 

Anyway, moments of brilliance in the first half but that second half is up there with one of the worst I can remember. While Randell ultimately won us the game, he’s a shocking player. Victor not much better, can see Bodvarsson leaving in January as it must be personal for him not to be starting. Less said about Nlundulu the better. 

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Zico said:

Aye, it's bollocks 

You can do all that and still have a keeper on the bench

I know folk will say he's the gaffer and knows the players etc, and that is clearly correct.

However, when thousands of fans see the same issue then it smacks of a bit of pig-headedness.

4 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

I know folk will say he's the gaffer and knows the players etc, and that is clearly correct.

However, when thousands of fans see the same issue then it smacks of a bit of pig-headedness.

Is it pig-headedness or total arrogance?

56 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

I was thinking that, if that had been the Carlisle fans driving them on to come from 2 down, it would have been an even longer last 20 minutes.  I'm convinced that away end costs us some points every season, compared to 95% of away ends in the 4 divisions.

Blackpool next home game and I'd feel more confident if we gave them 2.5k in WSU instead.

I presume there is a coin toss involved but I don't understand why we always shoot at the at the south stand first half and let oppo teams attack their fans In the second half, especially in the big away end games . Always seems to inspire the away team more than it does us

3 hours ago, captainmed said:

We had to win and did and that’s all that really matters.

They were awful though and we should have been out of sight.

Will will need to improve for the next 2 aways though & play for the 90 mins not just 45.

We are a 45 min side ,I said that weeks ago .

56 minutes ago, TM Trotter said:

He's better than Dan, I know everyone has a downer on Jerome but I don't see him as bad as others do, plenty of decent hold up play at Vale for eg, just a safer bet than Dan when protecting a lead.  Yes giving the pen away v Stevenage was dire, but overall got more to offer than Dan if we accept neither are going to trouble the keeper.  If he's one of our rare "leaders" too, that's another tick in his favour.

59 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

We’d need Jesus Christ running down the touchline to get a tune out of that pair at the minute. 

Harsh on Bod, that's the first time he's come on and not made a positive contribution.  When he's on the pitch, it either means we are desperate for a goal (so playing against a 10 man defence), or holding onto a lead (so isolated with no support and no attacking urgency).  All that space and attacking intent in the first half, he would have thrived.  If neither of the front 2 get injured, we aren't going to find out if he can make an impact, because playing the last 20 frantic minutes up front for a team that doesn't do late goals is a thankless task.

11 minutes ago, Johnnyrotten said:

Harsh on Bod, that's the first time he's come on and not made a positive contribution.  When he's on the pitch, it either means we are desperate for a goal (so playing against a 10 man defence), or holding onto a lead (so isolated with no support and no attacking urgency).  All that space and attacking intent in the first half, he would have thrived.  If neither of the front 2 get injured, we aren't going to find out if he can make an impact, because playing the last 20 frantic minutes up front for a team that doesn't do late goals is a thankless task.

This season? Really? I’m struggling to think of a game where he has made any sort of contribution. 

Says a lot about today that, reading through the thread, nearly every one of them has either been cited as being crap or great this afternoon, like we don't know what to make of them

All I'll say is Northampton were the worst side I've seen at ours this season or last and if we'd an ounce of grit, guile and ruthlessness in us we'd have put them away for 5 or more 

They were all complicit in the second half unraveling.

Up front Charles showed why he's a L1 player, working hard as always but wasting three chances to kill them off in two minutes early second half. 

Midfield, Morley ran out of steam, Sheehan disappeared after 70 mins, leaving Thomason charging around doing everyone's tackling (and nearly seeing red at the end). Maghoma offered zero assistance when he came on.

At the back, Santos set the tone for the sloppiness that let them back into the game, gifting them a shot on goal with a horrendous ball straight to their striker. We were a mess after that, gifting a free header to Hoskins for their goal and another a few minutes later. 

As has been said, we clearly lack leaders and characters that care badly enough about keeping clean sheets and grinding opponents into the dust. The best teams don't just have one or maybe two, they have them in all parts of the pitch. 

A good job we scrambled three points out of it with the run of games ahead but nowhere near the levels required of automatic promotion contenders. 

12 minutes ago, Leyther_Matt said:

This season? Really? I’m struggling to think of a game where he has made any sort of contribution. 

Peterborough in particular, everyone I spoke to commented on the difference he made in hold up play when the ball had been coming back at us relentlessly previously.  Vale away similar.  The ball sticks, it doesn't bounce off like it does with Charles, Vic and Dan.  I'd love to say he's full of goals but not one of them is in the 2nd half, we don't create chances in the latter part of games.

Its only my opinion, happy for anyone to disagree if they see it different.

• Site Supporter

Think we have seen the best of Bod and worry that his last injury was one too many. 

Our fitness is shocking, 

Had a go at the stewards on the way out, kicking off outside the hotel with some young lads who clearly didn't want to be in a kick off, stewards just looked away. Lads came over to me for safety but I was more concerned with getting my kids away. 

2 hours ago, Marc505 said:

This tiredness thing, has he given any indication as to why it keeps happening, why its a recurring issue? Is it the training or is is the players? Because its weird.

Evatt put some of the injuries we were getting to players not long ago to the intensity we train at if that’s true then what’s the Benefit ? We’re no fitter than other teams and we’re getting fatigue. 
I don’t think it helps though keep telling the players there tired can be counter productive give player’s excuses and they will take them 

Just home and not read the full thread yet so apologies of I'm raising points already made but......

I can't get my head around seeing a team so dominant against one of the worst sides I've seen at our place in years in the first half then just going seemingly AWOL after 60 mins. Even when conceding the majority of the crowd rallied around them as if to say "no bother, get back to what we were doing and there'll be no problems" but then we proceed to cling on for the last half hour. Utterly baffling that it was the same team.....

How professional footballers don't have the killer instinct to think we've won the first half 2-0, let's go back out and do them 4, 5, or 6-0 is just nuts. Got to wonder about mentality, if only for the fact it's not the first time. 🤷‍♂️

20 minutes ago, Farnywhite said:

Evatt put some of the injuries we were getting to players not long ago to the intensity we train at if that’s true then what’s the Benefit ? We’re no fitter than other teams and we’re getting fatigue.

Training is

a. For fitness

b. For systems.

We're not fitter. He even admits it tires the squad out.

Our system, surely to God they all know it by now.

• Site Supporter
3 minutes ago, Dr. Feelgood said:

Training is

a. For fitness

b. For systems.

We're not fitter. He even admits it tires the squad out.

Our system, surely to God they all know it by now.

They should be running up the pike with bags full o bricks..

They were all shattered and after an international break, it's pretty shocking and shows poor management. The football before that was brilliant.