Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Your first (or kids) away

Underpants

This is a painful thread for me . My first match I cant remember . I was 6-7 so it was 1979 or 1980 . I had a cousin who was a Burnley fan and an uncle who was a Blackburn fan , we all used to go together if Bolton played any of those teams.  I remember Jim McDonagh scoring , I remember a 0-0 against Burnley where Billy Hamilton missed an open goal with a fresh air shot , and he lived in our village. The Village school made a big thing about sending him off to the World Cup.

My kids never lived with me and they blame me for leaving after their mum cheated on me for the 3rd time. 

The Older girl used to play primary school football at 8 years old so I bought her a Bolton Kit to train in . I had one at primary school in Burnley at got teased about it so I should have learned. .  In her second week of training two adults in Preston spent 60 minutes abusing her . She was so upset and scared that she never went back and lost all interest . I said I would go with her to every match and training session and that I promised it would never happen again but the damage was done to an 8 yr old girl .

In the mean time the little lad had his name changed so his surname wasnt mine . by this time their mum from Preston had remarried a blackburn fan , who didnt give a shit about football but encouraged the boy to play and go to games.  However alcoholic unfaithful mum has spent the last 13 years trying to raise him as a man united fan just to hurt me . 

The daughter has been to 2 games with me and the son 1  and each time I had to lie to get to take them to the football  at Wanderers.

Totally failed as a dad and it haunts me . 

Nottingham Forest away 6th April 1977 (just had to Google the date) we lost 3-1.

Sat in the away stand as a wide eyed 8 year old, can still remember the crushing blow of losing to a promotion rival near the end of the season - Forest finished third and went on to become League 1 Champions the year after and European Cup winners the year after that.

We ended up in fourth by a point, but went on obviously to enjoy promotion the year after and enjoyed my second away game at Ewood Park a lot more on promotion night.

Can’t remember much about the game (but think we were well beaten) but can remember we stayed at relatives in Nottingham and got back to their house as Sportsnight was showing grainy pictures of Liverpool winning the first leg of their European Cup semi final against Grasshoppers Zurich .

My lads first away day was Port Vale - the promotion season victory with pitch invasion, police dogs, carnage as Wheater scored the goal which for a few brief minutes saw us promoted, before Scunthorpe (I think) scored elsewhere and we’d have to wait for the Peterborough game to clinch promotion.

As we left the ground with my lad (9 year old at the time) I asked him what he thought, slightly worried of the tale he would tell his mum when he got home - fighting, invasions, missiles and swearing. He looked at me and said ‘is it possible to get an Away season ticket, that was the best match ever’ - job done, Wanderer for life 😀

10 hours ago, tomski said:

All relevant irrespective of age.. Only as good as when someone first takes you

Very true. My old man’s never been in to football so took my mums mate to get me into supporting Bolton.

Actually, my first ever Wanderers game was the one where Lampard scored 2 and they won the league at the Reebok. Seems to be a bit of a Chelsea theme here. 

• Members

My old man took me to a night away match in Bury in the early 60's. I can remember Franny Lee scoring a penalty for us. We lost 2-1 - I think a bloke called Alec Dawson scored both of theirs? I was devastated to lose to that shower even then.

My lads first away was a thumping 4-0 win at Swindon. Ricardo scored a cracker. Great day out all round that was. We were in some remote pub having a bite (a Ploughmans in my case :D ) when a load of Bristol City fans came in. Can't remember where they were off to but had a good session with them.

My lad is obviously more of a lucky charm than I am!

9 hours ago, Krimzon said:

This is a painful thread for me . My first match I cant remember . I was 6-7 so it was 1979 or 1980 . I had a cousin who was a Burnley fan and an uncle who was a Blackburn fan , we all used to go together if Bolton played any of those teams.  I remember Jim McDonagh scoring , I remember a 0-0 against Burnley where Billy Hamilton missed an open goal with a fresh air shot , and he lived in our village. The Village school made a big thing about sending him off to the World Cup.

My kids never lived with me and they blame me for leaving after their mum cheated on me for the 3rd time. 

The Older girl used to play primary school football at 8 years old so I bought her a Bolton Kit to train in . I had one at primary school in Burnley at got teased about it so I should have learned. .  In her second week of training two adults in Preston spent 60 minutes abusing her . She was so upset and scared that she never went back and lost all interest . I said I would go with her to every match and training session and that I promised it would never happen again but the damage was done to an 8 yr old girl .

In the mean time the little lad had his name changed so his surname wasnt mine . by this time their mum from Preston had remarried a blackburn fan , who didnt give a shit about football but encouraged the boy to play and go to games.  However alcoholic unfaithful mum has spent the last 13 years trying to raise him as a man united fan just to hurt me . 

The daughter has been to 2 games with me and the son 1  and each time I had to lie to get to take them to the football  at Wanderers.

Totally failed as a dad and it haunts me . 

Sorry to hear this. Must be shite especially when most have a great story to tell.

Fwiw I managed to get my missus kids to dislike football by taking them to the wanderers ha. 

Waiting till my little one is old enough as I think I went to early with the others. 

In better news I’ve convinced my niece, Bolton is the way over Everton advances from her father and she’ll be coming for her first match against Burton. 

Edited by tomski

• Site Supporter
5 minutes ago, tomski said:

Sorry to hear this. Must be shite especially when most have a great story to tell.

Fwiw I managed to get my missus kids to dislike football by taking them to the wanderers ha. 

Waiting till my little one is old enough as I think I went to early with the others. 

In better news I’ve convinced my niece, Bolton is the way over Everton advances from her father and she’ll be coming for her first match against Burton. 

Here’s a parenting tip:

Tell your child you aren’t taking him/her. No, not ever!

Get back home telling them how good it was. Shame they’re never going to know what it is you enjoy doing every Saturday.

Eventually you’ll be being begged to take him/her but stand firm.

Suddenly change tack and tell them they won’t like it. They’ll be begging to go along with you.

17 minutes ago, MickyD said:

Here’s a parenting tip:

Tell your child you aren’t taking him/her. No, not ever!

Get back home telling them how good it was. Shame they’re never going to know what it is you enjoy doing every Saturday.

Eventually you’ll be being begged to take him/her but stand firm.

Suddenly change tack and tell them they won’t like it. They’ll be begging to go along with you.

Haha I’ll give that a go cheers.

• Site Supporter

Mine Wembley Bristol 86 followed by Port Vale season or two after

Both boys Barnsley away (2 different games) and ironically both Sheff Utd home (2 different cup games) 

Correction my eldest informed me I took him as 5/6 year old to Man City away which I forgot about

Daughters first away the Fleetwood 3 niller 😩

Edited by desperado

5 hours ago, bolty58 said:

My old man took me to a night away match in Bury in the early 60's. I can remember Franny Lee scoring a penalty for us. We lost 2-1 - I think a bloke called Alec Dawson scored both of theirs? I was devastated to lose to that shower even then.

My lads first away was a thumping 4-0 win at Swindon. Ricardo scored a cracker. Great day out all round that was. We were in some remote pub having a bite (a Ploughmans in my case :D ) when a load of Bristol City fans came in. Can't remember where they were off to but had a good session with them.

My lad is obviously more of a lucky charm than I am!

Think we’ve debated this before Bolty , it was my first away game as well 1964 .I don’t think Dawson was playing for Bury then but for PNE , we did lose 2-1 & I think a young Colin Bell played for them. Strangely enough my second away game was at Deepdale an FA cup replay a year later were Dawson scored the winner for them & we lost 3-2. A wall also collapsed on their kop , 34k on.

Cant remember my third away match but we probably lost !

On 29/12/2023 at 15:04, Dr. Feelgood said:

Preston around 1966, with my dad. Bury, but my uncle played for them on the fringes.

Under my own steam probably Port Vale, about 1970.  It was like Agincourt but with waves of bricks filling the sky, rather than arrows.  Our very own Zulu leading the charge.

John Byrom was found shaking a time-wasting ball-boy by his throat.

On 29/12/2023 at 15:04, Dr. Feelgood said:

Preston around 1966, with my dad. Bury, but my uncle played for them on the fringes.

Under my own steam probably Port Vale, about 1970.  It was like Agincourt but with waves of bricks filling the sky, rather than arrows.  Our very own Zulu leading the charge.

John Byrom was found shaking a time-wasting ball-boy by his throat.

Port Vale -iirc it was Armfields promotion year. PV had to win to get promotion as  well. They were hanging on (2-1) in injury time. Ball boy chucks the ball away hence Byron’s intervention. Happily we equalised. Cue hail of bricks 

57 minutes ago, bw@bw said:

Port Vale -iirc it was Armfields promotion year. PV had to win to get promotion as  well. They were hanging on (2-1) in injury time. Ball boy chucks the ball away hence Byron’s intervention. Happily we equalised. Cue hail of bricks 

Good detail, ta. Yes, the ball boy was frigging about for a reason.

God knows how a terracing had so much brick-based ammo.

First away was march 75 away at Fulham, went on my own 2 weeks before my 11th birthday on the supporters club. We won 2-1 Chelsea came on the away end all hell broke out. Loved it… shit it in equal measures, never told my parents about the shenanigans for fear they’d not let me go again. 🤣

Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members
On 30/12/2023 at 23:43, Take Hunt Off said:

Think we’ve debated this before Bolty , it was my first away game as well 1964 .I don’t think Dawson was playing for Bury then but for PNE , we did lose 2-1 & I think a young Colin Bell played for them. Strangely enough my second away game was at Deepdale an FA cup replay a year later were Dawson scored the winner for them & we lost 3-2. A wall also collapsed on their kop , 34k on.

Cant remember my third away match but we probably lost !

Yes mate, memory probably playing tricks. 

That 2-1 loss at Bury was definitely my first away however.